What's new

Recent content by oilman

1. oilman

What do you use to manage File and Folder Versions? (Other than renaming versions...)

Alibre is working on their own PDM system that I think will handle what you describe. I hear it's coming in the next release :) I searched long and hard for a file management system for parts/assemblies. The only one that seemed to work with CAD files that wasn't obscenely expensive was around...
  2. oilman

Video request for benefits of top-down design

Figured that would be helpful for other users as I wish I had taken the top-down approach when I first started using Alibre :)
  3. oilman

Announcing Subscriptions

I feel like perpetual licenses are like buying a book. You pay once, it's yours forever. You can read it as many times as you want - no extra cost. You might pay for a new edition if you want the updated content, but the original book is yours forever. Subscriptions, on the other hand, are like...
  4. oilman

Using ChatGPT to help with scripting - second moments of inertia

are you guys using GPT-3 or GPT-4? i found GPT-3 to be underwhelming. it didn't really get interesting until i started plugging stuff into GPT-4 :cool:
  5. oilman

Using ChatGPT to help with scripting - second moments of inertia

I've been messing around with ChatGPT-4 quite a bit and for giggles I tried plugging in a script for calculating second moments of area from Stefan (idslk) to add functionality to calculate the moment of inertia about the y-axis (iyy) and the product moment of inertia (ixy). It spit out the code...
  6. oilman

Laptop with Dual Graphics (no mux) Display Options Issue

GIOV, I noticed your comments about the updated graphics engine in Alibre. I can understand why they made these changes, as it's common for software companies to update their graphics engines from time to time. There are actually several good reasons for these updates: Performance...
  7. oilman

License Problem

I've gotten replies on both Saturdays and Sundays. Seems they do have coverage on the weekends :)
  8. oilman

V25 - Some aspects of UI performance are visibly not as good as V24

Glad to hear SP1 is out! Updating now. When I first started using Alibre... I paid no attention to how assemblies were structured. Had a few assemblies with 1000+ parts and zero sub-assemblies. Yikes. Found Alibre performed much better after learning how to properly use it. I've had 0 issues...
  9. oilman

Ultrabook suitable?

I primarily run Alibre on a desktop, but found it works quite well on a recent model HP Spectre x360. It's a fairly light/compact convertible but still includes a dedicated GPU. The model I have includes 16gb ram, SSD, i7, along with the dedicated GPU. I gambled with an open box model which...
  10. oilman

A little preview of v24

Very impressive - especially the new loft tools. Keep up the good work!
  11. oilman

What was the last version of the program without the HOOPs graphics?(Resolved)

What are your computer specs? I've found the updated graphics to work quite well on my PC :)
  12. oilman

Lovin' the new icons

Quite happy with the latest release! Kudos to Alibre :)
  13. oilman

What customer support?

My sales contact mentioned that support tickets are handled in the order they are received which is why they require customers to enter tickets. I personally think this is a good way to handle support requests. I would expect a support person working on my ticket to handle it first before...
  14. oilman

What is status of V23?

Happy to read that Alibre is overhauling the help system. I still reference it despite having years of using Alibre under my belt now. My account representative mentioned the new help system will be viewable online. Looking forward to seeing that when it's available :D
  15. oilman

So, why does the maintenance link ask me to pay DOUBLE?

This happened to me on my last renewal when I clicked the link twice in the Home Window. Every time you click the link - it adds another year to the cart. When I clicked "clear cart" and clicked the link again - I was able to renew for 1 year. I've always renewed maintenance through one of...