What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Thanks everyone for the kind words and the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, I didn't do well and I was far from my best self. I rewatched the video and was wondering literally what was I thinking. I'm still not 100% but I'm better. That's the bad news.

The good news, is that there is another tournament in the Summer.
It was quite noticeable that something was wrong - not the same speed and confident self. In the summer you'll win :)

An observation... the "winning" model of the ball was not correct at all. He used some strange modelling and the resulting extrusion was not perpendicular to the tangent of the surface. My 8 year old also noticed that the sketch itself was wrong (i did not notice that) so it's strange it's declared a winner. I know it's not possible to go into detail when models are complete, but that was to obvious. When a large model has small details it's easy to "cheat", which is bad.

jroy

We must admit that Kontantinos did well overall, he simply wasn't at its best, being sick. Anyway, I feel he was holding the torch pretty well for Alibre.
Oh, and this summer, please don't put too much pressure on yourself for Alibre, you have nothing to proove, you already give so much to our community.

Good job my friend...

Jocelyn

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@Ex Machina you did pretty good all things considered. It looks like those were some of the toughest models in the competition. Not sure I would have been able to do as well.

An observation... the "winning" model of the ball was not correct at all. He used some strange modelling and the resulting extrusion was not perpendicular to the tangent of the surface. My 8 year old also noticed that the sketch itself was wrong (i did not notice that) so it's strange it's declared a winner. I know it's not possible to go into detail when models are complete, but that was to obvious. When a large model has small details it's easy to "cheat", which is bad.
The sketch pattern for the laces did have the wrong spacing but he used an Up to Surface with a .15 offset. If you try that in Alibre you get a flat top extrusion. Onshape and SolidWorks will correctly follow the surface for the offset. If you look at the drawing the laces did have vertical sides on the extrusion and not perpendicular to the tangent.

In Alibre, using a new sketch plane offset from the football surface by .15 then extruding to the ball surface would still need a revolve cut to remove the "extra" material from the extrusion and give the curve to follow the football surface. If you extrude boss or extrude cut To Geometry the feature will follow the surface, but when you enter an offset value the result will be a flat feature. I think that issue has been brought to Alibre's attention as an enhancement request. The Offset should follow the target surface. I don't know if that is a limitation of ACIS or the programming, not that the programmers haven't produced a great CAD program, just needs some feature enhancements that are lacking.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
@Ex Machina you did pretty good all things considered. It looks like those were some of the toughest models in the competition. Not sure I would have been able to do as well.

The sketch pattern for the laces did have the wrong spacing but he used an Up to Surface with a .15 offset. If you try that in Alibre you get a flat top extrusion. Onshape and SolidWorks will correctly follow the surface for the offset. If you look at the drawing the laces did have vertical sides on the extrusion and not perpendicular to the tangent.

In Alibre, using a new sketch plane offset from the football surface by .15 then extruding to the ball surface would still need a revolve cut to remove the "extra" material from the extrusion and give the curve to follow the football surface. If you extrude boss or extrude cut To Geometry the feature will follow the surface, but when you enter an offset value the result will be a flat feature. I think that issue has been brought to Alibre's attention as an enhancement request. The Offset should follow the target surface. I don't know if that is a limitation of ACIS or the programming, not that the programmers haven't produced a great CAD program, just needs some feature enhancements that are lacking.
My fault. I did not look at the 2D again so for some reason it should be vertical sides. Strange... feels wrong.

Stu3d

Have you lot the other side of the pond been messing with your clocks recently?
I was late last Wednesday and missed model Monday live yesterday, I watched the replay and noticed I wasn't the only one.
I gather the final starts early Wednesday, anyone know if I tune in at 4pm UK time?

Have you lot the other side of the pond been messing with your clocks recently?
I was late last Wednesday and missed model Monday live yesterday, I watched the replay and noticed I wasn't the only one.
I gather the final starts early Wednesday, anyone know if I tune in at 4pm UK time?
There was a time change on the morning of March 10th. We "Sprang forward," for daylight savings. So you were an hour late.

Stu3d

Hi everyone,
I followed the championship with interest and enjoyed playing with different models. But I can't figure out how to execute
the elliptical conjunction found in the second drawing of the final. If anyone has the desire and the opportunity to show me how @NateLiquidGravity did with its model from the third challenge, I would thank them in advance.
Regards,
Francesco
View attachment 40079
I would love to know how to create this part properly.
I created planes each end, drew ellipses and did a loft but it was messy. My attempt below. Mass I have is 1659.5g but no idea if it is correct, unlikely :)
Edit: Just found Davinche has done it on Youtube, very slick. Dimensions are different but principle the same.

Attachments

• TTT 23T76 hex arm.AD_PRT
    703 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Cator

I would love to know how to create this part properly.
I created planes each end, drew ellipses and did a loft but it was messy. My attempt below. Mass I have is 1659.5g but no idea if it is correct, unlikely :)
Edit: Just found Davinche has done it on Youtube, very slick. Dimensions are different but principle the same.
@HaroldL and video loft
Post in thread 'Too Tall Toby Leaderboard' https://www.alibre.com/forum/index.php?threads/too-tall-toby-leaderboard.24558/post-167045
Video Haroldl

Did anyone else have trouble with 24-03-07 on the practice models page? I was mainly having trouble with the arcs. I can't get them to be connected to the base part where they need to be while also being the radius it wants... I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I didn't have any issues with it. Here is my version.

I don't remember what my time was. I was trying to go fast, so it won't be very pretty.

It sounds like it is the 20mm vertical strait section, below the arcs, that is causing your trouble.

1712459254629.png

Attachments

• 28th Model.AD_PRT
    518 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
that seems to work, but what is the pink text then, "103 to locate center bore?" because if I do it how you did, then I get 108.5 for that measurement
EDIT: nevermind I figured it out. For some reason I was assuming the 20mm distance for that hole to the one wall was also the distance to the other wall. Of course not, there's nothing that says that. Thank you so much

Last edited: