What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

gwbruce

Man oh man. Ex Machina is slamming the Too Tall Toby Leaderboard for September. He is running in 5th place with Alibre behind Solidworks and Inventor. Way to go @Ex Machina . You are really showing the power of Alibre to the world. Between you and Joko everyone is going to know about Alibre before long.

Ex Machina

Hey Bruce,
So kind of you to make this thread.

And Harold,
Thank you so much for sharing these videos here.

This thread can actually be turned into a permanent thread where we can discuss the models each month, and discuss potential design strategies and shortcomings mitigation. No better way to learn your CAD system than to be thrown into a competitive environment.

gwbruce

I always try to do the Monday models, the tournament models and also I have managed to work my way through most of the practice models. I don't usually time myself just work on my modeling skills. I like the way he sometimes posts how he would do the model. I usually pick up a tip or two on how to view something or where to start. If I have had a problem with a model I'll get with a guy here at work and he will try it and if he gets it we will discuss what he did compared to what I did. I don't usually do the sheet metal, it's not something that I deal much with. However, I need to sharpen my sheet metal skills both in Alibre and SW at work.

Stu3d

Here's the video where I show you my hotkeys and discuss my design strategies for speedmodelling in depth! Let me know if you like it and if you have any questions?
Great video!
I have used Visual Cadd (formerly Generic Cadd) for over 30 years for work and it is lightening fast because right hand positions cursor with mouse while left hand types 2 letter commands on the keyboard, eg ZA zoom all, C2 2 point circle, A3 3 point arc, DL linear dimension etc. I have many dozens in my head, most common ones on function keys. I never have to move the cursor to a toolbar to select a tool, only to fill in the odd dialogue box.
I'm sat at home with covid so going to optimise my Alibre with shortcuts, I wish it could accept 2 letter commands to make them more intuitive like the examples above.

Ex Machina

Cool, I'm glad it helps. And yeah Alibre's customization was a great bonus for me once I started exploring it. Now in this day and age of e-sports and competitive gaming, if you want to take it to the next level as a Design Professional you can buy an extra 20-30-40 key customizable keypad, customize it with Autohotkey or an equivalent app and have every hotkey you have ever wanted as a single keystroke.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@Ex Machina, I visit Too Tall Toby's site once in a while and see that you are usually in the chat. I'd comment there but you need to have a YT channel, which I don't have - yet.
I noted in the Sept 23rd speed modeling challenge that there seems to be something odd going on. The winner got the right mass but the model is wrong. Does that count?

BTW, except for the square 'base' this part is a series of Mid-plane extrudes with some holes and fillets.

1696558649491.png

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The winner got the right mass but the model is wrong. Does that count?
I've been watching a few to and looked it up the other day.

Correct Mass and “The Ivan Exploit”​

An answer will be considered correct when the mass has been submitted in the YouTube chat, and this mass is correct, within the specified tolerance listed on the 2D print.

Since we are looking for mass, there will be opportunities for participants to create features “in the wrong location”, so long as the mass of these features is correct. The most common example of this is a hole passing through 2 parallel faces. When this occurs, the location of the hole is inconsequential on the overall mass of the model.

This exploit, often referred to as “The Ivan Exploit”, is a known exploit of this competition and using this exploit will not disqualify the participant from the contest. If the overall mass of the model is correct (within tolerance) a win will be granted to the participant.
https://tootalltoby.com/Tournaments/

gwbruce

I believe that the Ivan Exploit is one of those types of things that no one thinks of until it happens. So basically, according to the rules it was correct even though Ivan had a feature out of place the mass was correct. If you will notice in most of the newer models the features are designed to not be correct unless it is in the correct place. Such as a hole through an angled face not normal to the face. Toby has commented on it a few times in the last couple of matches. In the round of 32 it was taking just a couple of minutes for the runners to complete the model. Now in the round of 16 it is taking closer to 6 or 7 minutes to complete the model. We are down to most of the runners being certified pros on their software of choice. It is getting harder to model fast. It gets very intense sometimes. Especially when I notice something they miss, or they could do easier, and I can't tell them. I have yelled at my monitor a few times. LOL!!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think it's a side effect of it being a speed competition. Unless you can guarantee it would be spotted every time something like that was done - you would have to have some way to QC the part. That would have to be full detailed drawings or perhaps a Boolean operation against the answer key part or something else?