What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I would do both ends like normal.
Then draw the top guide curve tangent at 7.5° extending just into the other end.
Then while still in the sketch do Sketch > Insert > 3D Point on the start and end of the guide curves.
Then create planes offset from a standard plane through that 3D points.
Then you can draw the ovals and loft.

With the problems they had with getting the right mass it's hard to say which loft settings will be necessary without trying and comparing.

Ex Machina

I just saw the finals today! WoW!!! Amazing Competition! I was rooting for Ivan and was a bit bummed he didn't win. He was thwarted by his keyboard. Both matches he was slightly faster and VictorK just got the mass copied better.

I guess that goes to show that you need a complete skillset to reach the top, not only design skills!

But what a competition! Toby has done one hell of a job organizing this! So enjoyable!

P.S. I really liked the ads at the beginning. Added a flair of major sport events...

tyc

Then draw the top guide curve tangent at 7.5° extending just into the other end.
Then while still in the sketch do Sketch > Insert > 3D Point on the start and end of the guide curves.

With the problems they had with getting the right mass it's hard to say which loft settings will be necessary without trying and comparing.
In addition to that, I would probably leave the hex cut and hole cut features after the loft/sweep operation. By doing this, I could avoid delete face feature which the competitors relied on for clearing uo the dinguses

Ex Machina

Dingus (noun): unnecessary geometry created by other features encroaching into internal surfaces or protruding outwards from external surfaces. Usually solved by direct editing techniques like Delete Face or by Re-ordering the model tree.

P.S. Ty, Is it Dinguses or Dingi..? Hmmm...

gwbruce

I'm not sure if I will or not. I took screen shots of the prints and will give them a try. You never know...

Ex Machina

Well, if you or anyone else has any ideas and wants to discuss them, I think this thread is the best place to do it. I would love to help

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
How did I do?
I like the way you cut the 26 degree angle.
I watch TTT's tutorial when he created the part and was surprised when he did that slot in two cuts. o_O I was taught that whenever possible to unbend sheet metal to insert slots and cutouts that when around a bend.

For the slots I inserted an Unbend and sketched the entire slot. From the drawing you can determine the slot ends on the bottom flange 20 mm from center of the radius to the edge ((190-150)/2)=20. I used that dimension to fully define the sketch and perform the cut and then mirrored the result before adding a Rebend to fold the part back up.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Since being able to create a flat pattern wasn't part of the goal I wasn't worried about it flattening but I've done similar before without issue.

Cator

@NateLiquidGravity I successfully tried the method you suggested. (Even if there are still 6 grams missing, I have to work on it).... Could you explain to me why if I want to insert a point and I go through Insert>Point the sketch closes while if I do it through Sketch>Insert>Point and I get what you kindly recommended. How do the two points differ and how can I achieve this result only with the ribbon? Is this not possible? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-15 064736.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-15 064736.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 23-T-76 REX ARM V2.AD_PRT
    733 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It does exist in the sketch ribbon as a tiny icon. The difference is that the sketch one only let's you select sketch geometry for its source. The regular one only let's you select things other than the sketch geometry.

Ex Machina

I will just leave these here...

But seriously. Let's get the hive mind going:

Do you have any suggestion to make these models faster?
Do you have any questions on how I made a feature in these model?

Let's work together and have more Alibre competitors in the next TooTallToby Tournament!

Attachments

• 23-T-31-PIVOT PLATE.AD_PRT
    537 KB · Views: 8
  • 23-T-32-CASTER MOUNT.AD_PRT
    515 KB · Views: 5
  • 23-T-33-BOX NOZZLE.AD_PRT
    500.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2024_spring_open_qualifier_drawing_1_-_23-T-31_-_PIVOT_PLATE.png
    2024_spring_open_qualifier_drawing_1_-_23-T-31_-_PIVOT_PLATE.png
    978.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2024_spring_open_qualifier_drawing_2_-_23-T-32_-_CASTER_MOUNT.png
    2024_spring_open_qualifier_drawing_2_-_23-T-32_-_CASTER_MOUNT.png
    510.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2024_spring_open_qualifier_drawing_3_-_23-T-33_-_BOX_NOZZLE.png
    2024_spring_open_qualifier_drawing_3_-_23-T-33_-_BOX_NOZZLE.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 25

gwbruce

I will just leave these here...

But seriously. Let's get the hive mind going:

Do you have any suggestion to make these models faster?
Do you have any questions on how I made a feature in these model?

Let's work together and have more Alibre competitors in the next TooTallToby Tournament!
I attempted these models when they were first posted. Although I had no real trouble modeling them in my personal timing I was in the 8 to 10 minute range on each one. Then life got busy and I haven't been able to get back to them. Konstantions I downloaded your models to see what you had done and wow. You did them in about half as many moves as I did. In the process of dissecting your models I learned a couple of things. Now I just have to try and find the time to model them again with my new knowledge and see if my times improve. Wish me luck. I'm hoping I can get a decent time and at least join the leaderboard. Don't figure I'll be fast enough to make the tournament (not sure I want to compete in the tournament, Lots of stress) but my first goal is to make it on the leaderboard.

Ex Machina

I attempted these models when they were first posted. Although I had no real trouble modeling them in my personal timing I was in the 8 to 10 minute range on each one. Then life got busy and I haven't been able to get back to them. Konstantions I downloaded your models to see what you had done and wow. You did them in about half as many moves as I did. In the process of dissecting your models I learned a couple of things. Now I just have to try and find the time to model them again with my new knowledge and see if my times improve. Wish me luck. I'm hoping I can get a decent time and at least join the leaderboard. Don't figure I'll be fast enough to make the tournament (not sure I want to compete in the tournament, Lots of stress) but my first goal is to make it on the leaderboard.
Hey Gary,

I'm glad I'm helping! That was the idea! As for competing and the stress. I say, Go For It! Just go there to have fun and do what you can do. Worst case scenario you get a couple of rounds in. If you go there with the sole objective to have fun, you will have fun and the stress is going to be considerably low.

You might even have more fun than the guys winning out-right...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Tried one of TTT's models. Did it in 9:06. Don't know it that's 'dipping my toes in the water' or taking a plunge.;)

Ex Machina

Hey Harold. Why don't you try the qualifier parts for the tournament. Should be interesting. Besides, if you enter the tournament and a sheet metal part comes up, you'd crush it.

gwbruce

I agree with Konstantinos. Give the spring tournament a try. Last time I looked there were only 14 times turned in. The top 16 make the tournament.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Mass = 368.4 gm

so your model is correct. Great way to model it up. The way you implemented 26 degrees taper on the angled flanges is awesome.
Not to nit pick but, although I like the way the angled cut was performed the angled flanges are not 26 degrees. They are more like 24 and something. So how did you get the correct mass? I think that one of the oddities of the mass that TTT assigns or comes up with for his parts is that there must be some variation in the method that different CAD programs calculate mass. I've seen that on other parts too. And maybe that's why TTT gives such large tolerances for the answer.

1702021531258.png

When I modeled the part I used an Unbend to flatten the part then cut all the slots, square holes, and notched the sides to get a 26 degree angle on the end flanges. I ended up with a mass of 368.9g

23-T-81 FLARED BRACKET.jpg