What's new

Search results

1. P

Move - Setting relative basepoint

I am trying to use the Move tool to move sketches a defined amount. I understand the Cartesian and U & V functions but am being thrown a loop for the basepoint. Using the relative feature, it says it will move 'XX' amount from the basepoint. But how do you set the basepoint? The help article...
  2. P

PDM update?

Max - any updates on the PDM project that Alibre is working on? I am running into issue after issue, needing some way to manage the data I have. My mind is beginning to drop things thru the cracks and my notebooks need and index to the index. Any hope on the horizon? Paul
  3. P

How to rename parts within a STP file Assembly

I just imported an assembly saved as a STP file and converted it to an Alibre Assembly. It has 240+ parts in it. Has Alibre (or this group) come up with a method to rename each of the components, short of going in and manually changing each part name then replacing each part when the assembly...
  4. P

Measurements to loft and shell edges

I am modeling a header flange with an adapter tube. Flange is a simple extrusion. The header tube is a loft with a shell applied to get a round tube on one end and a shape on the other end to fit the flange. I've put the two together in an assembly, then 3D print to verify fits and clearances...
  5. P

STEP file conversion

When I import a step file and then save it as an Alibre Part file, it creates one "whole'" piece. Is there a way to convert it into a true Alibre model or do I have to manually recreate the part in Alibre to have all the sketches & extrusions that make up the part? Thx Paul
  6. P

Re-modeling an STEP file?

Are there any shortcuts or tips when remodeling an STP file? I am doing some 'reverse engineering' and have scanned a part, then converted it to an STP file. I want to remodel the piece in Alibre. I can go to the STP image, make measurements, and then create a model in Alibre, but this is...
  7. P

Mesh Cam & Engraving

I have a project that involves engraving the dome top of some automobile knobs. The part has been modeled in Alibre and I need to generate GCode for a Bantam Mills 'OtherMill'. Bantam suggests a workflow of exporting an STP file from Alibre into Fusion 360 Personal, then using that to generate...
  8. P

SLT Conversion

I have a drawing done in STL format that I am trying to get into Alibre. I understand the process of putting it into Fusion 360 and exporting to STP format, then into Alibre. But I am running into issues. 1) I export from Fusion in STP format but when I try to open the file in Alibre, I am...
  9. P

Generating a cutting pattern for multiple parts - flattened sheetmetal

I am trying to generate a drawing (full scale) that I can paste to my material and use as a cutting pattern on a bandsaw. When I started, my concept was to put multiple views of the same part on a drawing. But I couldn't accurately position each view in relation to another. I was advised there...
  10. P

PDM info?

I am trying to figure out how to get all my data, files, drawings, documents under control. I 'played' with M-Files once when I received a complimentary try thru Alibre. That link broke when the company shuffling ensued. In trying to do my research, I hit a some roadblocks 1) the search...
  11. P

Reference Geometry switch

Is there a way to turn off ALL reference geometry showing on various parts in an assembly? I sometimes get lazy, forgetting to turn it off after done with it and the next thing you know, I have more planes showing than I can navigate thru Thanks
  12. P

Top-Down design

I grew up in my career with pencil & paper doing my design layouts with a parallel bar, then a drafting machine. Self-taught myself AutoCad and slowly transitioned my design work to digital. I am trying to convert my design work from 2D to 3D but keep falling back to 2D. Is there a simple way...
  13. P

Drawing - editing part

I have a collection of drawings that span over about 10 years of Alibre. Most recently I have noticed an option when I open a 2D Alibre drawing, if I want to edit a dimension, some times it will actually edit the 3D drawing. Other times, my only option is to open the 3D drawing for direct...
  14. P

Sheet Metal - Dimpling

I am trying to draw a fan blade that incorporates dimpling for rigidity. With the issues I am having, I am unsure if it is my limited skills on the use of Alibre or is it that Alibre Sheet Metal features are rudimentary at best. I am able to make simple dimples. I've been able to make some...
  15. P

Quick draw for assemblies?

I have a design that incorporates a 24" square screen, 1/4" spacing of .047 wire. I've drawn it as a part but it is pretty intensive on the draw/redraw. Only occasionally will I need the full screen drawn. Is there a way to turn off some or all of the redraw process? Or did I not do it...
  16. P

Revision tracking - again!

The more features added into Alibre, the less I know how to use it! I am still trying to figure a way to track incremental changes in a part. And NOT HAVING A LOT OF SUCCESS! I don't think I need a full blown spreadsheet, data management system, but it would be nice to know that I moved a...
  17. P

2D drafting options

A number of years ago, I switched to Alibre for my design and 3D work. Little bit of a learning curve and I still struggle in some areas. It remains my go-to program for my CAD work. I kept my copy of AutoCAD 2010 and used it for quick 2D layouts and architectural items. All was fine till...
  18. P

Export data to Solidworks

I have a set of Alibre drawings I would like to send to a customer who uses Solidworks. 2D drawing, 3D Assembly, three 3D models and three 3D Sheet Metal drawings. If I were sending it to an Alibre user, I would just package the assembly and all would be good. How is the best way to send a...
  19. P

Boolean adds and dimensional accuracy/rounding

I am making a model of a stamping used as a floor board in an automobile. It was suggested to me to do much of the modeling with Boolean's due to some of the complexity of the shapes. I have been able to sort thru this with only a couple issues: 1) I don't know how far out Alibre carries the...
  20. P

Something wrong with V21 - me or a bug?

I am using V21 to layout & dimension some parts. I am noticing two anomalies and don't know if it is me or if it is a bug 1) I place a number of reference planes on the base drawing. When I generate a new sketch, those reference planes don't appear in the new drawing. 2) When trying to...