What's new

Search results

1. J

Spline = bastard child?

Spline = bastard child? Why are splines treated like bastard children? Can't apply tangent and who knows what other constraints. Can't trim a spline. Can't do many of the things that can be done with lines and curves. Can't control the curvature very...
  2. J

Constraining a spline to be tangent to a line @ a point

Constraining a spline to be tangent to a line @ a point I am hoping to constrain a spline to be tangent to a line at a point, but AD tells me that it will overconstrain the sketch. Is there a way around this? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, Joe...
  3. J

Constraining a spline to be parallel to a line @ a point

Constraining a spline to be parallel to a line @ a point I am hoping to constrain the spline to be parallel to a line, but AD tells me that the sketch will become overconstrained. Help!
  4. J

"Specify Tangent" box is not active

A little progress... It turns out that you can't use "specify tangent" if you are using a guide curve. Any idea why AD is limited this way? Now, I'm trying to add an intermediate section along the guide curve, but am having trouble. So far I tried to add a point to the guide curve...
  5. J

"Specify Tangent" box is not active

"Specify Tangent" box is not active I have a loft, and I want to adjust the loft properties by using the "Specify Tangent" feature, but the box can't be checked. Any idea why this might be happening, even when the loft has no errors? The model is in the Binaries forum...
  6. J

"specify tangent" option is not active

"specify tangent" option is not active Why is the "specify tangent" not active? Zipped model is attached. Joe
  7. J

Plane Normal to Curve

Could not agree more. I think we can cut 3D section views, for example, cut it with a horizontal plane so it intersects the curve at the desired point, then cut a 3D section view there. That will effectively make the curve end at the section, and you can then put a plane normal to the...
  8. J

Cannot pan after installing new mouse

Cannot pan after installing new mouse Oh no! I just got a new mouse (Logitech MX700), and cannot pan by pushing down the scroll wheel while moving the mouse. It's programmable, so I can assign different functions to it. After trying all the obvious ones, and some...
  9. J

New forum area with common problems organized by feature

I reluctantly agree with your point. As an example, the Alibre knowledge base that your link points to has dead links. Oh well. Thanks for your insight. :cry:
  10. J

Lofty goals (but low experience)

Yes...I get it now. I had to make a 3d point on top of the 2d point to make the 3d sketch line coincident with the 2d sketch point. It seems a little strange to have to do this...is my understanding of the situation correct? Thanks, Joe
  11. J

I just posted the zip to binaries forum. I accidentally posted the question to the binaries forum late last nite, so the binary is in that thread. Thanks, Joe
  12. J

lofty goals (but low ability?)

I'll try what was suggested. In the meanwhile, here's the geometry zipped. Thanks for the responses so far. Joe
  13. J

Lofty goals (but low experience) Having a simple problem with a loft... 1. I get the message that the guide curve doesn't touch the sketches, but I can't seem to make it touch. It won't recognize the point on the 2d sketches that I want to use for the loft...
  14. J

1. I realized that I posted this to the wrong forum. I'll repost to the using AD forum. Be sure to check there for a response. 2. I can't create points in a 2d sketch that are recognized in the 3d sketch that I want to use for the guide curve. Joe
  15. J

lofty goals (but low ability?) Having a simple problem with a loft... 1. The guide curve doesn't touch the sketches, but I can't seem to make it touch. It won't recognize the point on the 2d sketches that I want to use. What's going on with this? 2...
  16. J

New forum area with common problems organized by feature

New forum area with common problems organized by feature Proposal: Make a new forum area with sub areas for each feature. This way, if we have a problem with a particular feature, we can look there for hints. For example, I am having trouble running a loft between two sketches. The...
  17. J

Creating a flat template for a non-flat part

John- First I'll describe how I made the parabola. 1. The general equation of a parabola is y=ax^2. 2. Decide a value for "a" to make it the size you need. 3. Create points to define the parabolic curve. 4. Create a spline through the points. 5. Revolve it around it's axis...
  18. J

How to read Alibre files in Solidworks?

Thanks, swertel. I assume that using the highest rev number should be OK (e.g. STEP AP 214).
  19. J

Creating a flat template for a non-flat part

Re: JW- Thanks for your reply. 1. My parabola's axis is coincident with one one of the coordinate system's axes...sorry for the unclear description. 2. Maybe I should have said that I want the projected curve to be the...
  20. J

How to read Alibre files in Solidworks?

How to read Alibre files in Solidworks? I am sending parts plus an assembly drawing to a fabricator who uses Solidworks, and want them to be able to read the files without trouble. What format do I use so the files can be read in Solidworks? Can I send the assembly...