What's new

Search results

1. B

Create a library from spreadsheet data

GIOV, This is a response to your LinkedIn message to me. Around 2010 I was experimenting with the Alibre API to produce a mechanism to implement global parameters. This has now largely been superceded by ADs implementation of global parameters. I have not used WizoScript but that looks like a...
  2. B

Can't get "Alibre Design;Add-In" to work - SOLVED

Re: Can't get "Alibre Design;Add-In" to work Which version of Excel are you using. My recollection is that default security settings for 2007 is to disable macros. I think there is an option to run macros on request if the security level is reduced. David and I have done quite a bit of work...
  3. B

Spreadsheet Driven Design

Back in 2009 I was experimenting with the API and DavidJ was struggling with the AD Excel add in. I set about implementing an idea I had for copying dimensions across parts and assemblies to control assembled dimensions. From time to time I dabble with woodwork where I find I can never get...
  4. B

Spreadsheet Driven Design

PM me and I can send a copy.
  5. B

Here is my suggestion - for assembly constraints

I agree that 3DS appear to be steering GMD towards 3D printing but the design of interacting parts will be key to the future of printing. Entire mechanisms can be produced through 3D printing in an expanding array of materials. Ensuring that parts are correct first time is dependent on a robust...
  6. B

Here is my suggestion - for assembly constraints

Lew is, of course, 110% correct. I came into engineering drawing in the days before wide spread CAD systems. I found the process of engineering drawing anything but intuitive, and primarily a documentation tool. 3D CAD is now largely intuitive, and can be used as a very powerful design tool...
  7. B

Strategy for resolving constraint errors in larger assembly?

I don't know of any straight forward way of achieving what you need. What I think you are trying to do is specify a constraint that has a small degree of flexibility. So we are left to consider work arounds. I have just been experimenting with adding a part that only has reference geometry...
  8. B

Assembly dis-assembles itself??

I opened the handle and I can see that the 5" dimension appears as 5.000307" when double clicked. Changing the dimension to 5, resets the dimension to 5.000000". The handle then aligns correctly with the base. I can't explain where the 0.000307 would come from. I have not seen this effect...
  9. B

Assembly dis-assembles itself??

I can confirm that PRODUCTVERSION 14 is AD V2012 which was first released in Oct 2011. It was the last stable release offered by Alibre prior to the name change. GM V2013 was released April 2013 as PRODUCTVERSION 15. It soon became V2014 under the GM and Cubify names and has been reunited via...
  10. B

Excel Add On

This is my take on the process. I have used it on several projects now and it works very well. Once it is set up the process is quick and seamless. Note that the web site in my signature is not active at the moment. If anyone would like to try a demo version please reply or PM me and I can get...
  11. B

RepRap Ormerod 3D Printer Kit

This looks interesting. Available from RS Components: http://www.designspark.com/eng/nodes/vi ... inter-kit/
  12. B

How can I scale parts & Assemblies

I don't think you have many options here. If the parts and assemblies are parametric then you might get away with editing the parameters using the equation editor. An alternative is to apply a scale feature to each part to get the full size. For other users considering a similar approach, it is...
  13. B

Constraining a spring in a hole

Reference geometry is the way to go. On the spring model, create an axis that the spring loop will rotate around. You also need a plane orthogonal to this axis. On the mating part create a matching axis / plane pair. When the two parts are assembled, align the axes and planes and the spring...
  14. B

Alibre / 3DS / Geomagic / Cubify

Thanks for all the replies. For those who have bought the PE edition recently, this is a very useful and worthwhile upgrade. Those who bought into Alibre a few years ago do not benefit as the additional features should be already available to them. Kev's point about increased maintenance fee is...
  15. B

Alibre / 3DS / Geomagic / Cubify

I have not used Alibre / 3DS / Geomagic / Cubify as much recently as I have in the past. To some degree I am waiting to see how the rebranding pans out before I make too many longer term decisions. I received an emailed 'offer' from 3DS yesterday. Cubify Design (formerly Alibre Design Personal...
  16. B

Sharing Dimension Values Across Multiple Parts?

Yes, I am still here! I tune in to the forum regularly but don't contribute as much as I used to. My property viewer is still available. It was written to address the very situation described here and I use it regularly. Alibre have not developed the API in any way that adds features for me, so...
  17. B

Rebranding, Support, etc.

I am intrigued by what is happening here. It does have an impact on the perception of the product and how much to expect from the company, both now and for the foreseeable future. My view is that Alibre has never had a credible position in the CAD market. Ask the average ProEngineer, CATIA...
  18. B

THRU All bug?

Holes always start from the plane they are placed on so what you see is correct. To get what you want, add a plane using the XY plane and click the rod surface. This will create a plane parallel to XY and tangential to the rod. Place the hole on this plane and use thru all.
  19. B

Geomagic/2013

GoD still has it :roll: