What's new

Search results

1. L

Cut normal to curve

I'm trying to model a tube with a laser cut profile through the side. The tube OD is 1.125 with an .035 wall and I need a .527 hole through. To get the .527 dimension the laser would need to cut an ellipse .527 x .589, how can that be done.
  2. L

Extrude to Next not working

I am trying to extrude to a part in an assembly, is that not possible or am I missing something? I'm trying to get the NPT boss to extrude to next but can only get it to extrude to geometry.
  3. L

Tangent Constraint arc to ellipse

I have a new problem. I'm trying to get an external arc to run tangent to the inside of an ellipse. I've tried as many different ways of selecting the surfaces as I can think of but can never get the curves to run tangent. The best I've ever been able o get is the internal, external radius...
  4. L

Problem opening files

I have some older files that I can't open, I have V25 but these were saved in 2012 and I can't open them with the new version, I get the following error when I try: Error - already exists. (Exception from HRESULT:0x80030050(STG_E_FILEALREADYEXISTS)) Any help would be appreciated!
  5. L

Why can't I apply constraints

I downloaded an assembly in Alibre format from a site and want to modify it and am having issues when I remove one part and replace it with a modified version of the same part. I'm trying to replace the end cap of this part with the one I've added lettering to. I'm using Alibre Design Expert...
  6. L

V23 drawing sheet problem and slow graphics - resolved with reboot

When I'm making a new drawing from a model I can no longer move the views around on the page. All the scaling etc functions are there but not the icon for moving the view. Also, rotating a small model is slow and jerky, this wan't an improvement for me. Is a new graphics card required?
  7. L

Insert Tracing Image greyed out

This is the first time I've tried to use this feature and can't get it to work, at all. As far as I know I've followed the directions in the help but any way I've tried, obviously not the right way, it's always greyed out and non-functional. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, I have Alibre Design...
  8. L

How to set up planes to drill angled hole at bottom of another

I'm trying to drill a small angled hole into the radius of a flat bottom hole and can't figure out how to set up the planes to do that. The angle isn't important for now, I haven't got that far, the inner dimensions still aren't fixed. I've included a jpg of what I want to do and the file as far...
  9. L

How do I do this? *** SOLVED!!!! **

I'm trying to make the knob on an Olfa knife, partly because I'm trying to get better at Alibre and partly because the knob on one of my knives broke. Under the head there are tapered serrations and while I could just mill single depth grooves and it would work, I'm interested in how to make...
  10. L

Split_at_End error

I'm attempting to draw compression springs with closed ends and when I attempt to add the open coils to the 1.5 closed turns I get the error unless I offset the geometry at least .0001 in any direction. Any suggestions why that happens and how to work around it?
  11. L

( admin edit) Imported file issue with 2D Drawing

Why doesn't this produce a good drawing? When I open and save as an Alibre drawing and then do a 2D drawing, the 'solid' lines are gone, the only thing that prints is the hidden lines. Is it a setting I have wrong?
  12. L

What the heck is this?

First I tried to export a sheet metal solid in a Solidworks format, that didn't go well so i made the part as a solid and tried to export and it came out with this extension .sldprt-dtk.xml, even Alibre doesn't know how to deal with it. What is it and how can it be used and by whom? I'm trying...
  13. L

Reversing Normal

Can you or is it necessary to reverse the normal on a plane? I want to drill a hole in the 'back' of a part and the normal points in the 'wrong' direction, I got the hole but it had to be done from the 'inside' outward. That just doesn't seem right!
  14. L

Problems with worm shaft

I'm attempting to draw a 2 way worm shaft like on a baitcasting reel and having some difficulty. The first problem I'm having is if I go over a certain length it refuses to generate a model, if I use a more simple profile it works but that's not what I need. The other issue, I know it can be...
  15. L

GD&T symbols

I have opened a customers drawing in three different CAD packages and the diameter and counterbore symbols (and maybe others) don't display properly, the diameter symbol displays as a lowercase 'n' and the counterbore symbol is a lowercase 'v'. Because it's the same in three different programs I...
  16. L

Profile and Path

Is there anything or any way to produce the results like in this Solidworks link in Geomagic? http://help.solidworks.com/2010/english ... 22c440#Pg0 I need the CAD for an almost identical part to fourth example in the link, a cylinder offset from the axis of another and perpendicular to that...
  17. L

Broken views

What's with the broken views? I have a part 10 feet long, obviously it won't fit on the sheet even at 1/4 scale so I made a broken view that was to cut out 100" but all it did was cut the part in half and position them 100 inches apart, not really what I was looking for! Anyone with an idea of...
  18. L

Problem opening Solidworks files

I've been trying to open some Solidworks files and keep getting a "-1001 : No description" error. Is there a way to open them?
  19. L

polycylindric development of torus

I've tried and for, I think, obvious reasons, GD doesn't do a developed layout of a torus or any curved surface, as far as I can tell. According to my drafting manuals and some online searching, there are two methods, polycylindric/polyconic and the lune/zone methods of creating approximations...
  20. L

Thread runouts and Higbee/Higby threads

Is there a way in GM to produce a Higbee thread or even a normal (real) run out on threads, all I've ever been able to get were sharp, 90° ends on threads which don't reflect reality, at least when I make threads. For those that don't know what a Higbee thread is, it's also referred to as a...