What's new

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. The fix that we applied will affect your version even if you aren't on Windows 10. The fix has a few side effects:

The "Glass" effect of the window will be turned off
  • This modifies the appearance of the title bar
  • This can cause a window animation smoothness issue, depending on a number of factors. For example, the "maximize window" animation may appear less "smooth"
  • You can snap the window to the top, right, left, and corners in Windows, but you cannot grab the maximized window's title bar and "unmaximize" it via a drag action. Rather, you must use the title bar button at the top right.
We are providing an option through the registry to force the Glass option back on. Users of Windows 7/8/etc. or users of Windows 10 who do not get the fall update can force the Glass option back on with no issues (though who knows what MSFT has in store for later).

The fix is intended to be temporary until MSFT fixes the bug (the effect of the bug is that when you File > Save, it will cause the UI to "red X" out). We pushed the schedule of 2018.2 up significantly to get ahead of this MSFT release since it can so critically affect many people - the fix is not the most ideal possible but given the time constraints, and the severity of the issue, and the fact that we don't control this bug, it is the best that can be done for right now.

That said, if it doesn't affect you (Windows 7), you can spend 20 seconds in the registry and your software should behave as previous versions.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Added input changed callback to options dialogs.

Does this translate to "change values in dropdown B depending on choice in dropdown A"?

#dropdown A values
BoltDia = [8, 10, 12]

#dropdown B values
BoltLength [8] = [20, 30, 40]
BoltLength [10] = [30, 40,50]
BoltLength [12] = [40, 50, 60]

Just to be clear, I mean in the same options window. I know you can have 2 windows with a dropdown in each and one feed the other.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Does this translate to "change values in dropdown B depending on choice in dropdown A"?

#dropdown A values
BoltDia = [8, 10, 12]

#dropdown B values
BoltLength [8] = [20, 30, 40]
BoltLength [10] = [30, 40,50]
BoltLength [12] = [40, 50, 60]

Just to be clear, I mean in the same options window. I know you can have 2 windows with a dropdown in each and one feed the other.
That's what I hope too!

beastro

The fix is intended to be temporary until MSFT fixes the bug (the effect of the bug is that when you File > Save, it will cause the UI to "red X" out).

Max,
When will you release that fix? Will it be independent of maintenance, or will users who are on a maintenance sabbatical be left in the desert with a non functional copy of Alibre???
I always thought that critical bugfixes should be handled independently from feature updates and should be made available to users irrespective whether they are on maintenance or not.
Regards
Berthold

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I always thought that critical bugfixes should be handled independently from feature updates and should be made available to users irrespective whether they are on maintenance or not.
You could say that's what maintenance is for! However, I agree with you to a degree in that whilst on maintenance I reported a number of bugs, non of which have been fixed yet, and my maintenance has just lapsed, so you could say that I'm owed those .. otherwise I could have just been labelled a beta tester! It's a difficult one to manage as Alibre can't release partial fixes, but if your already on 2018.x.x you should really be entitled to and 2018.x.x patch (active maintenance or not) as they are fixed related to the major version that you own and are licensed for. Maybe more regular bug fix releases would catch this scenario. Maybe the maintenance should be dropped in favour of a major upgrade fee, with minor patches being released to fix reported bugs only.

One software I use has just that model, an upgrade fee. Most bugs in the new major release are reported in the first couple of months, with a number of patches to fix them in the first 6 months. The rest of the annual period is very quiet as the bugs have been addressed and that's the period where they crack on and add new features and test in prep for the next major release. I've always had every bug I've reported fixed within a week of reporting it. It's only a handful of developers too and is a great release, fix, responsive and repeat process.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Am I reading this thread correctly, there is an update available? When I used checkup for updates, it says there is no update available. It there is an update can someone provide a link to it.

Thanks

KRELER

Any info about when this update will be released Max?
As the fixed W10 1809 update is rolling out right now, and makes AD hard to use...

slipstick

How nice - I wake up this morning to my computer having installed the Fall update without any warning, and yes, I see the problem. I can double-click the file in Windows Explorer to open it, but can't from within Alibre dialog box. The start window functions seem to work though. I can open a file and create a new file from there.

swertel

Alibre Super User
I had one computer that updated in typical silent Windows fashion. Thanks Microsoft.
I was able to double check my settings on my other computer and hopefully push off the update if it, too, is chosen for a quick update.

Funny thing. I already request a delay in updates by 30 days. I was tempted to go 60 days. This update is considered "critical" so it doesn't follow the requested delay.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Am I understanding it correctly 2018.2 is out. I check to see if there is an update and there was no updates

JST

Alibre Super User
There is a problem with some updates to Win 10. Makes Alibre fail. See comments above by Max.

The 2018.2 fixes that, but is not out yet.

The poster above apparently had a Microsoft update, to the version that screws up Alibre. But he does not yet have the Alibre version (2018.2) that FIXES the problem.

So he has the problem with Alibre, due to the update to Win 10.

Incidentally, I believe that the agreement for 10 includes the provision (or used to) that you MUST accept updates. Which gives only bad choices.... use the software with an older OS version, but technically violate the terms of use for the OS, or obey the terms and be locked out of the software.

Last edited:

Nick952

Just had the latest Windows KB4467702 update installed on my (this) laptop and so far Alibre Design Expert 2018.1.1 (Build 19055), appears to be working fine for me.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Just had the latest Windows KB4467702 update installed on my (this) laptop and so far Alibre Design Expert 2018.1.1 (Build 19055), appears to be working fine for me.

This update is not the one to be concerned with:
November 13, 2018—KB4467702 (OS Build 17134.407)
Applies to: Windows 10, version 1803

When your system gets the mega-update, your Windows build will be 1809 unless they change it to a higher version by then. The update to 1809 is a big one and you will definitely know it's happening, probably by how long it takes.