What's new

2D Drawing - Dual dimensions - Dimension override

In a 2D drawing, I'm displaying all measurements with dual dimensions (mm & in). When I set a tolerance on the primary, it is properly converted to the tolerance on the alternate dimension. However, if I override the dimension value, it does not get converted in the alternate dimension.

For instance, there's a measurement that is actually 79.5mm on the drawing. I need it to be shown as 79.0 +1/-0. When I set the tolerance to Plus-Minus and enter +1 and -0, the tolerance gets properly converted to +.04" and -.00" in the alternate dimension. However, when I override the dimension to 79.0mm, it still shows 3.13" in the alternate dimension. It should show 3.11".

Any help would be appreciated.

In a 2D drawing, I'm displaying all measurements with dual dimensions (mm & in). When I set a tolerance on the primary, it is properly converted to the tolerance on the alternate dimension. However, if I override the dimension value, it does not get converted in the alternate dimension.
Hi Jim -- The value for the "Base Dimension" is set in the Model (Part or Assembly) not the Drawing. If it is "79.5 mm" in the Model the Dimension driving the Drawing will be "79.5 mm." Otherwise the Dimension is "disconnected" from the Model. -- Lew

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
when I override the dimension
When you override a dimension it becomes a "not to scale" dimension and needs to be underlined. When I worked with hand drawn drawings I would see that on occasion but, to my recollection, I have never seen it on a CAD generated drawing because the model drives the dimensions. If the drawing dimension is wrong there is a problem with the model that needs to be corrected.

Yes, I agree, generally you want the design dimension to be the same as what's shown in the drawing. I'm really not sure why the drawing I'm being asked to make requires a non-symmetrical tolerance, but it does. If I adjust the dimension, it messes with other dimensions so that's not a great option. However, the "Override" option exists and the "Dual Dimension" option exists so obviously they're meant to be available for use and I'd think it would follow that the overridden dimension would convert to the dual dimension just like the tolerance does.

I'm really not sure why the drawing I'm being asked to make requires a non-symmetrical tolerance, but it does.
Hi Jim -- "Non-Symmetrical Tolerances" have advantages when you need to inform the "shop" what "perfect" and "allowable" are in the context of a "unidirectional allowance." -- Lew