What's new

A deep dive into configuring Alibre to work for you.

We've covered a lot about modeling, but what about Alibre's settings and menus? Keyboard commands, color scheme, font, and rendering are super important settings that a new user might be exploring, and menus can be daunting and scary to a new user. I think it'd be really useful to take a peak into the settings and preferences that a new CAD user-- or a CAD user coming from a different software-- may be interested in.

More on that, is there an easy way to copy your settings from one machine to the next? A config file or something like that? If there is, I'd love to see info on that too!

Thank you so much! I just got a new laptop a week or two ago and I want to copy over all of my stuff without having them side by side. This will probably work. Thanks a million!

On your second question this works for me.
Click on Log Files Directory, file to copy over is in the directory with your name or in my case default user. It is User.NET.profile_27.
Obviously make a backup beforehand!
I use it for moving my shortcuts between machines when I make changes. https://www.alibre.com/forum/index....rtcut-keyboard-using-relegendable-keys.24722/

View attachment 41022
Okay, I tried this.
I copied over the file in the folder you specified, and only some of the keyboard commands, but not all, were transferred over. To make sure, I went and copied over the version 26 file too. Still, only some of the commands transferred.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Make sure the software is closed before you copy it and don't open the software until after you paste it. The software will overwrite the file when exited normally using whatever settings were in memory. It does not save them as they are set.

Last edited:

Stu3d

Okay, I tried this.
I copied over the file in the folder you specified, and only some of the keyboard commands, but not all, were transferred over. To make sure, I went and copied over the version 26 file too. Still, only some of the commands transferred.
I haven't had an issue copying the file across which I do occasionally as I use Alibre on 4 computers however I have changed some shortcuts in settings and when I went to use them they were still the old ones, I had to go in and change them again which then worked.