What's new

Alibre Hiatus

Alexander

Hey all,
Its been a while since I've used Alibre and visited the forum, I currently have version V22 and have a few projects on the horizon which would be completed with Alibre.
What major updates have been useful since V22 up to V26, the drawing updates look good. One thing I always missed in Alibre was the ability to replace parts with a newly created one within the assembly workspace, has this been applied or mentioned for future releases?

Cheers

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Replace Component has been in assembly workspace for quite a few versions

Is that what you are looking for, or are you looking for something beyond that?

New features by version are shown on the release history pages

I won't speculate on which items would be useful to you...

Alexander

Thanks David !
I will have a look through the release history.

Regarding the replace tool it doesn't quite work as I want it to. I want the replace dialog box to have another button alongside the search folder location named 'New' which would enable you to save a new part in the same folder and preserve constraints. I know this sounds like a whinge but I have used it with other CAD vendors, its super quick creating new parts without the faff. Screenshot of the tool description is attached.

Cheerssave & replace.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Alexander - how would that work exactly?

You can add a new part already directly to the assembly, then use replace (and possibly delete) to swap it in for an existing part.

How can constraints be preserved with a totally new part? - it's already a bit of pot luck with the current replace command as the ID values for faces etc are unlikely to match.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Alexander - how would that work exactly?

You can add a new part already directly to the assembly, then use replace (and possibly delete) to swap it in for an existing part.

How can constraints be preserved with a totally new part? - it's already a bit of pot luck with the current replace command as the ID values for faces etc are unlikely to match.
From the screenshot it's not a brand new part but a copy of the existing saved to a new name.

@Alexander have you tried out configurations?

idslk

Alibre Super User
What about editing the part in place and doing a save as of the whole assembly and change only the name of the specific part.
initial part name: holder_v1 -> save as: holder_v2 will result in an additional part in your assembly folder.

Regards
Stefan

Alexander

From the screenshot it's not a brand new part but a copy of the existing saved to a new name.

@Alexander have you tried out configurations?
That's exactly it, sorry I should of explained better. The new part is a replica.
So you click the tool button, choose the part which then opens the save-as window and choose a new name.
An example is if you arrayed a column with baseplates and then you need change one of the baseplates, in 2 clicks you can have a unique part.
I know you can achieve the same by copying the part in windows explorer and then use replace, but this is so much quicker and you don't leave the Alibre assembly screen.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Configurations seems to be equally as fast and avoids having extra files to then maintain.

You also seem to be wanting to replace one part in an assembly pattern - you can only currently do that with configurations.