Alibre Design 2018.0
Licensing & Viewer Mode
- For customers in extremely secure environments who cannot have data leave their computers during the licensing process, a new licensing mechanism now exists. A license can now be generated by sending Alibre the computer’s Site Key, a short code that looks similar to LSURFTBZQX.
- Allows customers to install a Licensing Daemon on the internal network via a Linux virtual machine.
- All licensing is done on-network
- Great for large, secure deployments
- A new Viewer Mode has been added. When a license is not detected during startup, you have the option of inputting a license or selecting the Viewer option. The Viewer option starts the product in Viewer Mode, which allows you to open and interrogate the model (e.g. take measurements).
The following core technology components have been upgraded to the latest versions, giving you access to several years of updates and bug fixes from these component providers:
- ACIS – the core modeling kernel
- 2D-DCM – the 2D constraint manager / solver
- 3D-DCM – the 3D constraint manager / solver
- HLM – the hidden line manager
- ST-Developer – STEP import/export
- Datakit – Import/Export of 3rd party proprietary CAD formats
- Adobe PDFLibs – PDF publishing
- ODA Toolkit – 2D import/export
- The build environment for Alibre Design (Visual Studio) was upgraded
New Import Formats
- Solidworks 2018 import is now supported
- Inventor 2018 import is now supported
- Parasolid 30 import is now supported
High Resolution Support
A lot of effort has gone into making Alibre Design more pleasurable to use on high resolution displays (e.g. 4k):
- Design/Drawing/Assembly Explorer icons now support higher resolutions
- In-Place Editing icons now support higher resolutions
- The Ribbon icons now support higher resolutions
- Grabbing the Design Explorer divider to resize it is easier
- Larger 2D Constraint Symbol option (System Options > Parts/Assemblies > Sketching > Sketch Constraints Size)
- Larger Sketch Node option (System Options > Parts/Assemblies > Sketching > Sketch Node Size)
- DPI-aware selection snap makes selecting things much easier on high resolution displays
- DPI-aware dialogs have been created for many that were not DPI aware – this fixes the jumbled look of dialogs on high resolution displays
General Display Fixes
- Several scenarios where the canvas would be replaced by the “Red X”, for example after waking from Sleep Mode, have been addressed.
- Miter flanges (video) can now be created via the Miter option on the new Corners tab of the Flange dialog, dramatically simplifying the creation of many classes of sheet metal parts.
New Home Window
- The Home Window has been completely redesigned.
Graphical Most Recently Used
- On the new Home Window you can see icon previews of your most recently used files, making selecting recent documents easy and fast.
STEP export units
- Previously all STEP files were exported in cm. Now, you can choose which units to use via System Options > Interoperability > STEP
Configurable Mouse Buttons
- The Zoom, Pan, and Rotate commands can now be customized. If you use several programs, you can now make them all operate the same way.
Pick PDF Engine
- The PDF publishing engine is now an option and can be selected from System Options > Drawings > PDF. If you install a new PDF writer (e.g. PDFill), it should show up here to be selected for use.
Default color scheme
- Small changes to the default color scheme for rollover and preview color
The following API improvements have been made:
- New framework for creating .NET based AD Add-Ons
- AlibreCAM: Trimmed surface API has been updated so AlibreCAM by MecSoft can be upgraded
- Assigning Color to a Feature in Part
- Selection Events
- Access configurations of Global Parameter Files
- Dimensioning Between Points
- Anchor/Hide/Suppress sub-assemblies
- Capture images of the canvas
- Set a part configuration within an assembly
Alibre Design 2017.1.2
- Fixed some SolidWorks parts importing as assemblies
- Fixed CATIA import issues
Alibre Design 2017.1.1
- Changed around 20 default options to make the initial experience better
- Fixed color and part names missing when importing some Parasolid files
- Fixed feature colors missing on some imported parts
- Fixed cursor not changing to represent what was being hovered over
- Fixed BOM callouts changing to all be ? marks.
- Fixed Spanish resources in some dialogs
- Fixed Keyshot’s dialog that used to say “Return to Geomagic Design”
Alibre Design 2017.1
- Dark Site licensing – Ability to activate and deactivate license offline
- Show ‘Computer ID’ in product UI for licensing support
- Licensing logic to bypass Trial if user has license code
- Fix issue with pre-dated license maintenance expiry date
- Improved license error reporting
- Support for specifying Proxy Server credential to license server
- Fix Installer looping when Start Menu Shortcut is de-selected
- Non-English Unicode characters in Windows username causes license initialization failure
- Rectangle by Center tool in 2D Sketch
- Extrude Boss/Cutout/Thin: Bi-directional unequal lengths option
- Revolve Boss/Cutout/Thin: Bi-directional unequal angle option
- Ability to zoom/pan View Creation Preview in 2D Drawings
- Additional Hide Part option in 2D Drawings allows you to hide parts in all views.
- Add a Select by Layer tool in 2D Drawings, allowing the user to select all items by layer. This can be used for several things, such as the ability to get rid of sick dimensions all at once or performing layer changes on many entities at once without manual selection.
- Home Window > Help > Forum link goes to new forum
- Re-enabled auto-updater in product (only accessible in the next release, not 2017.1)
Component / Addon Upgrades
- Migrate to latest conversion library from Datakit for import/export of 3rd party CAD application data
- Fixed Alibre Parameters Addin for Microsoft Excel v2010 and later
- Keyshot 7 now works with Alibre Design 2017.1
- Fix issues with cursor icon artifacts and distortion
- Cannot enter angle values into Japanese Alibre input boxes because the automatically added degree symbol (°) is a multibyte character in Japanese which makes the entry invalid
- Exception when placing Note in 2D drawing on some computers
- Customer Assembly file exported as STEP from Inventor 2017 has some parts incorrectly scaled
- Application crashes if Shift is held while placing a sketch entity with an inferred horizontal or vertical constraint
- Fixed bad Import of SolidWorks SLDPRT file
- Fixed import functionality of CATIA V5 (V26) files
- Added Danish
- Updated French, German, Czech, Swedish, Japanese, Polish, Chinese CHS, Chinese ZHH resources
Forum, Gallery, and Customer Suggestions
We’ve made a huge upgrade to the user forums. Your old username and password will still work. Come say hi!
Alibre Design 2017.0
A new licensing mechanism has been installed in the software.
If you are migrating from Geomagic Design, your license key for Alibre Design will be the same key you use for Geomagic Design today. If you cannot locate your license key, please contact your reseller or firstname.lastname@example.org we will assist you.
Various license types are available today, and more are on the way. For more information, please visit our Licensing Page.
Alibre, LLC, Alibre Design, and related names have replaced their 3D Systems Corporation equivalents throughout the product.
Removed from the product
The following items have been removed from Alibre Design in this version:
- 3D Systems TeamPlatform integration (deprecated)
- 3D Systems Cubify Cloud Print integration (deprecated)
- 3D Systems Sense integration
- Mesh files from any source can still be imported via the Mesh Import feature
Fixes in this release
The following dialogs had broken context-sensitive help that has been corrected:
- Home Window > Help > About > License Status
- Create Custom Symbol
- Insert Custom Symbol
- Print (3D Workspaces)
- Replace Assembly Component
- Reproject Views
- 3D PDF Publishing wizard – various pages
Keyshot for Alibre Design
This release will require a new version of Keyshot to be installed to function properly. If you have a paid version of Keyshot purchased directly from Luxion, you do not need to install this version. Download Keyshot for Alibre Design 2017 from the Downloads page.
Dynamics and Simulate
Previous versions of Dynamics and Simulate from Design Simulation Technologies (DST) will be unable to run on Alibre Design 2017. A new compatible version of Dynamics and Simulate is available and requires a separate license key from DST to run. To learn about acquiring a license key and the new installer, please reference the FAQ section: “Information about add-ons” near the end.
A new version of AlibreCAM is coming from MecSoft Corporation within a few weeks of the launch of Alibre Design 2017. For more information, please contact MecSoft at www.mecsoft.com for sales, upgrades, and support.