What's new

Alibre needs to phone home?

dkmc

So when I don't use Alibre for a week or 2, then turn on the PC and try to open the program there always seems to be some sort of difficulty. This morning the error is
"License library failed to initialize". What if I'm on a machine that doesn't connect to the 'net ?

Ex Machina

Yeah, Alibre does actually need to phone home for the regular licence. But you can get an "Offline Licence" that doesn't need to phone home... I think there is a summary of that in the licenses page of the website.

If you can't connect to the Interwebs for security reasons go to this page and look for the Lifetime - Offline Licence

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
License library failed to initialize is not typically the result of failure to 'phone home' - was there any numeric error code along with that message? Probably best to contact support.

Standard on-line activation licences can operate for up to 30 days without 'phoning home'. Off-line licences incur extra charges, they also have some downsides regarding flexibility and are also not available for Atom3D.

dkmc

License library failed to initialize is not typically the result of failure to 'phone home' - was there any numeric error code along with that message? Probably best to contact support.

Standard on-line activation licences can operate for up to 30 days without 'phoning home'. Off-line licences incur extra charges, they also have some downsides regarding flexibility and are also not available for Atom3D.
So there's more than one 'gotcha', nice.

dkmc

No code. I'm trying to make 3 minutes of changes to a drawing and print a copy. Dead in the water......again.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check out

If this is happening regularly is suggests either an issue with the computer, or that the 'phone home' session is being disrupted by unreliable internet connection.

dkmc

Check out

If this is happening regularly is suggests either an issue with the computer, or that the 'phone home' session is being disrupted by unreliable internet connection.
Now I see an error code 3016. Connection is solid, computer might be the issue. Thanks...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
From Nalpeiron documentation

A -3016 error is caused by a system directory on the machine being mis-set, pointing to a non-existent directory, having permissions problems, or something similar.

There is more than the line I quoted, but I don't think it actually helps!.

One thing we do see from time to time - Windows silent updates, and also virus scans, can limit access if running in the background. It can be worth looking at Task Manager to see if activity is unexpectedly high.

If this happens to a particular machine, a re-install might be worth trying (when you are not under time pressure).

Many licensing problems can be fixed by deleting the local licence files and then re-activating.

Support can provide further assistance if needed.

dkmc

From Nalpeiron documentation

Many licensing problems can be fixed by deleting the local licence files and then re-activating.

Support can provide further assistance if needed.
OK can you explain how to delete local licence files please?