• 128 Gb

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • 256 Gb or higher

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

NateH

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7010 Sff with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 Gpu and 16 gb of ram. I was thinking of upgrading my ram but I thought I would see what most of you have.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A lot depends on the size/complexity of design you do. Also how much other software you run alongside Alibre.

Some users seem to manage OK with 8GB RAM (even with on board video sharing that) - large/complex assemblies will benefit from more memory.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
My signature (below) shows my machine specs. I had issues on the desktop machine with only 8GB (slow, laggy, excessive use of the system swapfile!), so increased to 32GB reduced the problem.

NateH

I am just getting to the cad drawings so the largest assembly I did so far is the bedding spreader I have as my profile file picture. The only other software I usually have open is: media player, task manager, google chrome, and file explorer. Before I put the dedicated graphics card in it was really slow.

Ex Machina

I recently updated to 32 from 16. Noticable difference, but not a huge one. I imagine that the dedicated memory of the GPU has more to do with it.

JimCad

What CPU do you have?
Usually for CAD we need the fastest single core speed with the extra cores to cover other tasks.
i5, i7 etc are good. (usually but early ones can be very slow by modern standards)
More cores are better for rendering and video editing etc.
Jim

NateH

This is the CPU I have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz. I am trying to to convince my dad to let me buy the parts to build a pc. Would get the amd ryzen 5 3600 cpu.

Ex Machina

This is the CPU I have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz. I am trying to to convince my dad to let me buy the parts to build a pc. Would get the amd ryzen 5 3600 cpu.
Hey N H,

Isn't the 5600 about the same price. It has significantly more performance.

bolsover

As signature..
It is actually a Dell precision 7710
I originally bought to support some heavy duty database work (SQLServer, Oracle, Centura, PervasiveSQL). One of the Oracle DB was well over 500Gb with several hundred tables. The Xeon processor performed really well. At the time, 8Mb cache was quite a lot!
If I were to spec a new machine today, I'd probably look at one of the i7 based CPU but again look for a device with lots of cache memory.
David

NateH

Here is what I went with: Used Intel Core i7-8700K CPU, ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming Motherboard, 64gb of ram, GeForce Gt 1030(gpu I had already), and a WD SN770 M.2 SSD

TwinStar

What's the current high end laptop available? I'm working on railroad cars sides with hundreds of rivets and I'm lagging considerably. I will have to upgrade to keep working.

Best Buy shows an i9 Studio, whatever that is.

TwinStar

Following the advice of a few articles that I read I purchased a Dell XPS 15 with the i9-13900H processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and the NVDIA TRX 4060 graphics card. My only issue is that the Alibre 'Possible Performance Issue Detected' article to ensure that the high performance GPU is used instead of the CPU doesn't line up with my PC.

TwinStar

Following the advice of a few articles that I read I purchased a Dell XPS 15 with the i9-13900H processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and the NVDIA TRX 4060 graphics card. My only issue is that the Alibre 'Possible Performance Issue Detected' article to ensure that the high performance GPU is used instead of the CPU doesn't line up with my PC.
I was finally able to set the GPU settings for Alibre.

JimCad

VERY nice!
Very fast single core speed. Should run all CAD stuff very quickly.
Photo & video rendering too with all those cores being used.

1701932131006.png

Jim

Ex Machina

Just out of curiosity, what was your problem with setting the High Performance GPU