What's new

Applying Constraints: Something so simple, yet it isn't!

wazzu83

Not even sure where to begin. I have never struggled so much with applying constraints. Continue to get the "over-constrained or inconsistent sketch" error. I also get really weird results in trying to apply 2D Fillets.

I have tried starting from scratch, complete uninstall, shut down, reboot and re-install of v27 [27039]. The results are the same. Very frustrating.

You will certainly find a few Where's The Football things in this sketch.

I have attached the file for your reference.

The problems are with Sketch 2, which will represent the outline of a parking lot curb in plan view.

Generally, I was unable to successfully apply the the "Perpendicular" constraint without the error in multiple locations, but using 90° dimensions worked. I can't even add two reference lines (independent of all other sketch items) and apply the perpendicular constraint to them without the error. Yet, I can apply an angle dimension to them.

In the area at the top of the sketch ...

1) Trying to add a line tangent to the 20' radius arc and the 3' radius arc at the top to close the sketch using the Tangent constraint. FAIL! I can get my tangent line in place by applying 3' and 20' dimensions from the respective arc centers. However, as soon as I try to trim the line or the arcs the entire sketch area changes to an "alternate" fully constrained geometry. FAIL!

2) Couldn't apply the tangent constraint to the 6' dia circle and the 15' line segment. Was able to apply the Coincident constraint to the circle and the segment end point and dimension the circle center point to achieve the desired result.

In the lower right area of the sketch ...

1) Had to use 90° dimensions instead of the Perpendicular constraint.

2) Can't apply 2D Fillets (6' radius) to the 2 corners without a change to an "alternate" geometry. At least here I would be able to extrude and then apply the 3D Fillet.

What am I missing.

Is this a v27 bug?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• CURBING.AD_PRT
    355 KB · Views: 11

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for uploading this. I opened your part and something definitely feels off with the sketch solver. I'm not the right person to be able to diagnose such things, so I can't say what caused it. I re-made the sketch for you in what I think your design intent was, and this one appears to be working as expected when applying constraints.

Attachments

• CURBING_JBL.AD_PRT
    333 KB · Views: 3