What's new

Arced slots

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Thin Extrudes are much newer features than the shape tools (including obround). The shape tools also have a built in pattern function which can sometimes be useful. Not an answer as such - just a bit of background. The dimension options for obround might often be simpler than using thin extrude to get the same geometry.

Not exactly aligned with this discussio, but I create O-Rimg Glands with great regularity as in the following Part.

Attachments

• 0-210 O-Ring Groove Sealed Chamber Flange.AD_PRT
    663 KB · Views: 6

bigseb

Alibre Super User
By all means add an arc slot tool. No worries there. Just saying the the thin extrude is a fantastic option to use. Just gotta think outside the box (i.e. we tend to think in terms of closed profiles).

By all means add an arc slot tool. No worries there. Just saying the the thin extrude is a fantastic option to use. Just gotta think outside the box (i.e. we tend to think in terms of closed profiles).
Sebastian -- Think of the variables required to define an "arced slot." Using a Sweep Cut is simple, practical, and already works across a wide range of "needs."

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just saying the the thin extrude is a fantastic option to use. Just gotta think outside the box (i.e. we tend to think in terms of closed profiles).
Totally agree. I only ever used thin extrude for pipes, never thought of using them for linear features until this thread, now I can think of 1001 uses where I could have used it :)

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Not exactly aligned with this discussio, but

#metoo :D

I don't even have the background references to pose a well worded inquiry, but, then I wouldn't need to pose it.

When creating S slots, what reference documents (keywords) can I look for relating to the curve degrees (sharpness) limitations. I know that "cams" have all sorts of criteria but I want to keep it simple while I try to get "ball park" resolutions to a few proto designs (where the follower pin doesn't fit all the way through a curve without taking away enough material that contact is lost). I don't want to get into PHD discussions, but will sit down with anything I can study to get a better handle on the subject. So, a few good keywords or links if you have them?!

Deepest thanks!

Oh, and I could kick myself from here to the moon for not getting familiar with the "thin extruded cut" feature before now. A crying shame how much time I spent splining and offsetting. :rolleyes: