What's new

Atom3D: best way to export some line graphics for importing into my laser?

ReedMikel

So I have a cribbage board designed in Atom3D. It milled just perfectly on my 3-n-1 Snapmaker A350's CNC. The last thing I want to do is laser etch some simple line graphics on to the board. I probably went about it the wrong way when I simply activated Sketch mode and drew a bunch of lines and arcs (which show in light blue in pic below) surrounding the sketches that make up the board. Of course Alibre complains "your sketch is not closed", so I just chose to Ignore the errors. Then I did a Export SVG (rgt clicked on sketch in Explorer pane). It does create a SVG file, but when I open it in my Snapmaker's Luban laser software, or any browser, it displays blank (all white).

Is there a better way to draw these simple line/arc graphics in Atom3D? If I could export it to JPG or SVG that would be great - as my laser software allows me to open both file types. Being unfamiliar with SVG files, I have no idea why the Export SVG is producing empty (all white) content when opened in Luban or browsers... Maybe the "not closed" errors are the culprit?

TIA,
-Mike

Cribbage board.jpg

Update on 12/20: Finished my 3 "B" cribbage boards and handing off to Santa :)
- Yes, there's a crack in 1 board - gives character, like wrinkles :)

B cribbage board.jpg

Last edited:

ReedMikel

the rectangular areas are only the object frames...due to the exported line width of only 0,053px you can't see the arcs...
this is what you get if you change the papersize to all objects and change the line width to 2px:
View attachment 40377
Thanks so much!! In the end, I was able to use the SVG file exported by Atom3D. I did end up first editing the text-based SVG file from Atom3D, increasing the stroke-width="0.0529167" to "1.0" (mm, I think). Then did a File->Import in Inkscape, then went to File->Document Properties and clicked on Resize to Content. Size was off a fraction of a percent when I laser engraved on test sheet, so in Inkscape I used the Transform tool to resize it up the needed amount. Looking good :)