What's new

Automatically add drill bit number to call out?

toddho

Group,
Is there a way to get Alibre to automatically add the drill bit number to a drawing/part when a hole is specified. For example: if I select a 6-32 UNC-2B from the insert Hole pop-up with the source specified as Tap drill diameter. The Hole call out it will display ".115 6-32 UNC". I want it to automatically add something like "Use Drill #32". Additionally I would also like to automatically specify which drill to use when choosing a close or a free fit for a specified fastener. Any ideas?

Thanks
Todd

Uman

I do not believe Alibe will automatically add additional info the the callout, but the callout can be edited in the drawing (right click - properties)

-Jeff

rollin45

I am thinking this "callout," can't be done.... as thread depth, thus drill size is variable depending upon usage. Sometimes you want a tight fit thread, sometimes you want a loose fit thread and there is no way to determine this by the software.

A standard in one industry would not necessarily apply to a different industry.

Sort of like saying,, " male, 6'1" tall,, give him a size 10 shoe. Maybe it will fit and maybe it won't. :mrgreen:

rollin'

danbrinkman89

Is this something that would work with the new Hole Tool in Alibre 2011?

I know we asked for and they added features to allow the hole tool to put in user specified Counterbores, say for a SHCS.

toddho

Understood. Material will definitely make a difference, but there are several "standards" that I am always inserting into the drawings. This is how my process generally goes: I want to make a tapped hole for a say 10-24 in T6061 aluminum. Go to look-up table ->So for a 75% thread I need to drill a .1495 dia hole. Enter that info into the part. Create the drawing and dim it. Once I am at the mill I see from the drawing that I need to drill a .1495 hole. What drill bit do I use? Go to look-up table. Ah- a #25 is needed. Yes this info can be entered into the drawing through the dim properties (extra look-up step) but it just seems that the look-up table part could be eliminated/automated with the standards that I/my industry use. I then have to do this same process for the mating part. Looking up the close or free fit clearance data for the same fastener!

Perhaps there is another way? Look-up only once? Once I decide what size hole I need (and drill bit) I can enter that info into the dim. on the part through properties again. But then how do I get this extra information to transfer to the drawing when I dim the drawing?

Was just looking at the new 2011 brochure. Will the new Hole Presets and Dialog allow me to do something like this?

http://www.alibre.com/company/news/news ... 10-tip.asp

Thanks
Todd

dwc

Alibre Super User
Am I missing somthing, but can't you buy drills accordong to their diameter and not some cryptic "number" ?
When I need a 0.68mm drill I buy it and don't need any kind of cross reference to know its diameter.
Scratching head,
Don

rollin45

Don,

Its peculiar to the imperial system, there are both letters and numbers in addtion to fractional sizes and decimal equivalents. For instance a number 80 drill is: .0135". This would be very close to a .35mm drill size in the metric system. Folks who do a lot of drilling and tapping, generally have a chart handy which gives the various sizes calling out the letters and numbers and tap sizes.

rollin'

dwc

Alibre Super User
rollin45 said:
Its peculiar to the imperial system

I guess that if you want to make things difficult for yourself you might as well go all the way, but I still have problems trying to imagine why :? .
Don

rollin45

dwc said:
rollin45 said:
Its peculiar to the imperial system

I guess that if you want to make things difficult for yourself you might as well go all the way, but I still have problems trying to imagine why :? .
Don

In general I would tend to agree with you, however, this trend to make things easier can be a slippery slope. Take the French for instance, they in fact invented the metric system no doubt to make things easier to measure, weigh etc.etc. They became so used to doing things the easiest way,, they took up eating snails,, now I ask you can anything be easier to catch?? In order to deflect criticism of this practice, they came up with a fancy name,,, escargot to hide the fact that they were most likely the laziest folks on the planet. No sir,, not for me.... I'll stick to doing the things the hard way. :mrgreen:

rollin'

Ducking the metric/American drill size issue for the moment (at least the U.S.has standard drill sizes), the "issue" is one easily solved with a look-up function. I have written several drill & tap routines where the user is allowed to specify the percentage of full-thread depth required (75% being the default). The routine opens a text file with a set of (ascending in size) drill values to find the closest size (and offering the user a selection if two sizes are equally close) of drill. The table contains two (comma separated) values: the decimal diameter and the string used to identify the drill bit (#2, A, or 19/32 as appropriate). I will say that the U.S. government standard of only listing a drill's size as a 4-place decimal has never caused a problem in my experience.

When it comes to screw threads and taps, a distinction should be made between cut-thread taps and form-thread taps. In the American Unified National System, we have the "R" modifier to specify a formed (rolled, for external) thread. Formed threads are almost always stronger and are more reliable in small threaded hole conditions. When working to military, aerospace, or scientific requirements, the thread should be called out by (4-place) decimal major diameter (i.e. .1900-24UNRC-2B) as opposed to conventional (#10-24) nomenclature. I have posted quite a bit of information on tap drill sizing and Unified National threading at http://www.scribd.com/Lew%20Merrick -- should you be interested.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
toddho said:
Understood. Material will definitely make a difference, but there are several "standards" that I am always inserting into the drawings. This is how my process generally goes: I want to make a tapped hole for a say 10-24 in T6061 aluminum. Go to look-up table ->So for a 75% thread I need to drill a .1495 dia hole. Enter that info into the part. Create the drawing and dim it. Once I am at the mill I see from the drawing that I need to drill a .1495 hole. What drill bit do I use? Go to look-up table. Ah- a #25 is needed. Yes this info can be entered into the drawing through the dim properties (extra look-up step) but it just seems that the look-up table part could be eliminated/automated with the standards that I/my industry use. I then have to do this same process for the mating part. Looking up the close or free fit clearance data for the same fastener!

Perhaps there is another way? Look-up only once? Once I decide what size hole I need (and drill bit) I can enter that info into the dim. on the part through properties again. But then how do I get this extra information to transfer to the drawing when I dim the drawing?

Thanks
Todd

I have one very similar to what you need, but with Alibre.
CoCreate has a lisp command which enables user to create thread and note table to add to the specific thread or hole.
This particular lisp was made by one of the users, and I could easily modify it so it will do exactly as you wish, I bet.
( http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=de&tl=en )
"Machining default" may do the work. I know it does not help us, so please igonre CoCreate.

I do guess, it is the matter of time for any one of us to create such note to the existing thread information using API supplied by Alibre.
I need to check if there are properties I can play with first, but there is a chance, fairly narrow one perhaps, for us to play with.

Let me dig out the old memory to do Alibre assisting software development first.
All I can tell is that much.

Unfortunately, Alibre does not supply us 2D drawing customizable API yet.
So, even if I manage to attach such custom note for the threading operation, I might miss the final stage... I am afraid.

Best regards.