What's new

Best way to generate gears in Alibre Design Expert ?

KeithH

Thank you! But I know all this already. This is a warning for all those coming here to search for an involute gear generator for Alibre. That's all! Since I haven't found anything native on Alibre except the built in functions, that only generate external gears, it looks like I have to create my own, Since I also need internal gears. But thanks for the explanation anyways.
Alibre is a cad program. No it doesn’t have an involute gear generator built in. Everyone knows that. There are other programs and even free things on the internet that can do that and make the dfx for you to import into alibre and extrude it. I think there is a script a user made if you look but I’m not sure.

KeithH

I know this thread is old. But if someone else, like me, is looking for a way to create spur gears. And thinks about registering to this forum just to download those files. This is not it, look elsewhere! The teeth are formed with an arc instead of an involute. I don't know what this is usable for, but not for 3D printing a proper gear.

here is one free thing that might help you. you can download the dfx when your done and import it into Alibre to extrude and make it fit your design intention.

https://geargenerator.com

theres many more free ones. I hope that helps. I know some specialized programs that could tell you resistance, heat, drag, power loss etc etc etc but those program would cost money big money, they are specialized things.

Props to DavidJ for showing me this one a while back :)

KeithH

I second blackbird lol
Hate to say it but Freecad has a very good involute gear generator that you can set everything including backlash. There cad end has problems but they have most of the rest, and their cam is pretty darn good for 2.5. I just wish their 4th axis was better and they don’t have lathe cam yet

Last edited:
Another option for gear creation can be found at www.gear2motion.com. Not free though (looks to be up to $120). You might recognize the creator of it, Art Fenerty, who was heavily involved in the creation of the well known hobbyist CNC software Mach3. Though admittedly have not played with much and has a learning curve to pick up it does seem to have a bunch of tricks up its sleeve. I think he initially created for making clocks but appears to have abilities to do many other things like pulleys, bearings, different gears types, bolts/nuts, ect and create .STL files for printing. I used to create a couple of timing gears for printing a while back and they came out good. I might have to play with again a little this weekend if get time..

If need free and software in above post not doing for ya I am thinking I had seen a gear generator for SCAD somewhere but can't seem to find. Maybe a in-depth search of Thingiverse would bring up.

Just a FYI for another possible options to check out.

JS

Last edited:

Jake_Steidy

@Remo The spurgear files attached on the first page of this thread are more than sufficient to produce gear files that can be 3D printed. If you could detail what problems you are encountering with the gears you printed maybe some modifications to the files can be made to increase their quality and success rate.

For reference I have printed at least 100 gears that I created based off of the spurgear file. They have been operational for over a year with no breakdowns.

Best regards,
Jake