What's new

Coil spring Dwg

sz0k30

This may not be the proper way to create this spring, just trying to duplicate existing part. The problem is the main coils do not show up on the drawing? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 00141-SPRING.AD_PRT
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 00141-SPRING.AD_DRW
    809 KB · Views: 13
This may not be the proper way to create this spring, just trying to duplicate existing part. The problem is the main coils do not show up on the drawing? Any help is appreciated.
SZ -- I normally define springs in terms of SAE or (US) MIL specifications. My "automation" system for this is so old that it depends on being able to load a CSV File to set Equation Editor variables. If any of this information would assist you I would be happy to share it with you. I am located in the western United States (GMT-7) and have a GoToMeeting account. An e-mail aimed at me (tangent@olympus.net) wqith your preferred date & time for such a "meet" would make a good start. -- Lew

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The problem is the main coils do not show up on the drawing?
It looks like a couple of changes to the view setting will get the spring to appear. First, change the views to Draft; second, turn off the Tangent display.
The attached images should help...

spring DraftView.png spring NO Tangents.png

sz0k30

Harold,

Thanks for the help! But that brings up another issue as you can see in the attached files. If I change the views to "Draft" as in views 1 & 3 the lines on the drawing all show up, but barely visible. The dark lines in views 2 & sec AA are "Std" and show up as I expect on a drawing. So looks like a disconnect between screen display & printed page.

Attachments

• 00141-2-SPRING.AD_DRW
    688 KB · Views: 7
  • 00141-2-SPRING.AD_PRT
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello sz0k30,

funny thing... i changed the helix length in the 3d-part to 13" and your standard view is ok...seems to be a thing for the MAX-Club ;-)
upload_2019-11-12_20-18-37.png
Regards
Stefan

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Hi sz0k30, thanks for your file submissions and the support ticket regarding this rendering issue. I have verified the issue and have passed the files and information over to my Development team to investigate why this is occurring. As idslk mentions above, changing the height of the MAIN COILS feature seems to remedy the rendering issue, but obviously then this does not create the intended geometry. I've found that changing the MAIN COILS feature height from 13.125" to either 13.124" or 13.126 allows the standard views to be placed successfully.

I will respond back once my Development team has had time to investigate the cause.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
I made the the spring coil part & drawing with AD11.2 and noticed that don't has any issues. May be help to support.

upload_2019-11-13_11-1-8.png
upload_2019-11-13_11-1-48.png

Attachments

• 00141-SPRING-GIOV.AD_DRW
    487 KB · Views: 3
  • 00141-SPRING-GIOV.AD_PRT
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, GIOV. However this is not a true apples-to-apples comparison. If you look at sz0k30's original file he has created 3 axes, 3 planes, and 1 origin/point, yet all of these "new" entities are in the exact locations as default workspace ones.

Sz0k30, can you comment on why you recreated default workspace entities? This may be causing the DRW rendering issue.

upload_2019-11-13_13-57-54.png

Here is a SAE compliant spring specification document (read: Drawing).

Attachments

• LH CG End Coil Compression Spring.pdf
    97.5 KB · Views: 6

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi DesingTime,
I confirm that in my two laptops the issue is in the new AD version.
L1 32 bit : AD 11.2
L2 64 bit :AD 2019 latest version.
I hope this help.
GIOV

Attachments

• 00141-SPRING-GIOV-L2.AD_DRW
    530.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 00141-SPRING-GIOV-L2.AD_PRT
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 00141-SPRING-GIOV-L1.AD_DRW
    502.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 00141-SPRING-GIOV-L1.AD_PRT
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Hi GIOV, thanks for all of your input and trouble-shooting.

When I open your AD 11.2 file I do see the views are rendered as they should be.

When I open your AD 2019 file, the Reproject Views dialog is prompted. Clicking OK on the dialog reprojects the views and they show correctly too (images below). I then right-click a view and select Edit 3D Model. When the 3D part file opens, I can create a new drawing of the model and the views show correctly there as well (3rd pic below).

upload_2019-11-13_16-42-17.png

upload_2019-11-13_16-44-25.png

upload_2019-11-13_16-52-17.png

I created a PKG file of your AD2019 DRW after I opened it and reprojected views. Reopening the PKG shows the drawing views are rendering correctly. I've attached the PKG here as well.

Attachments

• 00141-SPRING-GIOV-L2.AD_PKG
    260.1 KB · Views: 4

sz0k30

Thanks, GIOV. However this is not a true apples-to-apples comparison. If you look at sz0k30's original file he has created 3 axes, 3 planes, and 1 origin/point, yet all of these "new" entities are in the exact locations as default workspace ones.

Sz0k30, can you comment on why you recreated default workspace entities? This may be causing the DRW rendering issue.

I have to give full credit to "BigSeb".

For a very long time, one of the biggest complaints in Alibre has been the inability to move or rotate sketches easily.
I don't remember when I first saw it, but Seb had a write-up about about this issue and how he never has this problem. He creates blank part, sheetmetal & assembly files with these duplicate point, planes & axis. He supresses the originals. He the starts each new job with whichever type of file is appropriate, renames it and does the design. I thought this was a great idea and I copied it. I've been trying to do mine the same way ever since and I've never had drawing or missing line problems before.

P.S. I'm not looking for help with how to do a spring. My part file is exactly the way I want it. The problem is the drawing.

Thanks.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

View attachment 29090
Why would the most basic geometry possible be suspected to cause issue?

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Why would the most basic geometry possible be suspected to cause issue?

I was not saying that the recreated entities are the suspected cause. I am still waiting to here back from my Development team for their assessment. It was just unusual to see a file with entities created exactly where the default ones were. This being an anomaly, as well as the drawing views having issues being another anomaly, it seemed a data point that needed investigation to rule it in or out. Most likely the drawing issue is an ACIS error. I will certainly respond back again once my Dev team has relayed some information over to me regarding the issue.

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
I have to give full credit to "BigSeb".

For a very long time, one of the biggest complaints in Alibre has been the inability to move or rotate sketches easily.
I don't remember when I first saw it, but Seb had a write-up about about this issue and how he never has this problem. He creates blank part, sheetmetal & assembly files with these duplicate point, planes & axis. He supresses the originals. He the starts each new job with whichever type of file is appropriate, renames it and does the design. I thought this was a great idea and I copied it. I've been trying to do mine the same way ever since and I've never had drawing or missing line problems before.

P.S. I'm not looking for help with how to do a spring. My part file is exactly the way I want it. The problem is the drawing.

Thanks.

Hi sz0k30,

I am bit confused by your answer to, "why do you create duplicate planes, axes, and points in the exact location as the default workspace ones?". You mention the move/rotate tool, and I agree with your sentiments on that. I have been pushing for an overhaul of this tool. However, I'm not connecting the dots on how creating duplicate planes/axes/point help you move or rotate sketches. Forgive me if I am missing something that should be apparent.

Regards,

DesignTime

sz0k30

Sorry about the previous post. In this post you have 2 test files.

Test case 2 is just a simple cylinder created on the original ZX plane. Try to rotate it about the X axis. Good luck. Original planes & axis can't be modified.

Test case is again a simple cylinder created on my copied in place "ZX Start Plane". Try to rotate it about about the "Start X axis". Pretty easy!!!

But for more info, talk to BigSeb.

Attachments

• 00000-TEST-CASE.AD_PRT
    243.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 00000-TEST-CASE-2.AD_PRT
    253 KB · Views: 9

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about the previous post. In this post you have 2 test files.

Test case 2 is just a simple cylinder created on the original ZX plane. Try to rotate it about the X axis. Good luck. Original planes & axis can't be modified.

Test case is again a simple cylinder created on my copied in place "ZX Start Plane". Try to rotate it about about the "Start X axis". Pretty easy!!!

But for more info, talk to BigSeb.

Thanks, sz0k30! Makes perfect sense.