What's new

Coil Spring

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Try it in MP4
Thanks Jim
I updated the video to a later version after you downloaded it. Sorry about that! The version in your MP4 is good to have though. It's more restrained : )

Attachments

• Spring in MotionT (1).zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 4

Old Geeser

Thanks, Stephen, for the VLC recommendation. I downloaded it and installed it. I've had it on other systems I've owned and have been happy with it.

I am not clear on who built the spring in the video, or on what system. Is it adaptable to Alibre in any way?
Karl

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Thanks, Stephen, for the VLC recommendation. I downloaded it and installed it. I've had it on other systems I've owned and have been happy with it.

I am not clear on who built the spring in the video, or on what system. Is it adaptable to Alibre in any way?
Karl
I did. If you go back to my original post you can download a model to play with in Alibre - obviously, without the dynamic ability. Just pull the weight on top of the coil down. Slowly!

Old Geeser

Oh' I just loaded the file in Alibre and it works. Wow what impressive design! Segmented and all. Now it just needs to recoil when pressure is released. Still one impressive design. I have I have to have a closer look.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Oh' I just loaded the file in Alibre and it works. Wow what impressive design! Segmented and all. Now it just needs to recoil when pressure is released. Still one impressive design. I have I have to have a closer look.
It could probably do with further attention. I re-worked it in haste, this afternoon, from the 2007 model...

eron

Another way to do this is by designing the coil spring within the assembly and setting the spring height using a driven parameter linked to the surfaces that will be moving. Then when the pistons move, the spring will be resized. One limitation is that it doesn't resize the spring until you stop moving the parts. Here is an example file. The spring is a helical boss.

Attachments

• Coil Spring.AD_PKG
    486.1 KB · Views: 2
  • coil_spring.gif
    coil_spring.gif
    851.5 KB · Views: 14

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Another way to do this is by designing the coil spring within the assembly and setting the spring height using a driven parameter linked to the surfaces that will be moving. Then when the pistons move, the spring will be resized. One limitation is that it doesn't resize the spring until you stop moving the parts. Here is an example file. The spring is a helical boss.
Dependant on the specific model you're animating, you could drive the whole animation using the increments of height, or pitch, in the helical boss dialog box...

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Dependant on the specific model you're animating, you could drive the whole animation using the increments of height, or pitch, in the helical boss dialog box...
Of course that's not going to work... It's cool, though, to set the mouse wheel scroll setting to 1 line and the spinner increment in Part Settings to 1mm and use the mouse wheel to compress and decompress a spring : )

MilesH

Alibre Super User
One limitation is that it doesn't resize the spring until you stop moving the parts. Here is an example file. The spring is a helical boss.
If you use Precise Placement to move the parts. Does it update between each increment of movement?