What's new

Constraints incorrectly reporting "Over constrained"

@NateLiqGrav : I like that idea. If they're in an array or pattern, Alibre can derive that they're all supposed to be the same.

A similar idea I had would be a suggestion for a new type of constraint -- mimic. The idea is that two components could be constrained to mimic each other.

Drutort

I noticed that the orient constraint is gone, so now its treated as an angle constraint? this can really mess up old asm, I guess you end up to edit the old v20 and older files...

I believe few other constraints are also behaving a little different in relation to the above mentioned and others combined.

JST

Alibre Super User
"Orient" is completely fouled up.

It is coincident + Offset + "Free". You have to open the list of constraints with the down arrow. As you successively apply those (which you cannot do all at once), in some situations you will get over-constrained errors at each operation, until you finally check "free" with its "radio button". Each of those has to be cleared individually by hand, which is a terrific nuisance in many cases..

Max

Administrator
Staff member
JST can you screen cap (video) the nuisance and post it? It would be helpful to see real world examples.

JST

Alibre Super User
I don't have a video capture (that I know of), but I will if you can point me at one.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
JST - the Microsoft 'Game bar' in Win 10 will do video capture for you. It isn't the best, but you probably have it without even knowing it.

chromos

I don't have a video capture (that I know of), but I will if you can point me at one.
You can try ScreenToGif (I'm not allowed to insert a hyperlink here, sorry) . You can export your capture as animated GIF or animated PNG. In general, inserting images on forums is often easier than inserting video. I use it for years and can't say anything bad about it - it works flawlessly.

BTW I am new user of Alibre Atom3D and this is my first post here. Among other things, this forum and its contributors were one of reasons, why I chose Alibre.

JST

Alibre Super User
JST - the Microsoft 'Game bar' in Win 10 will do video capture for you. It isn't the best, but you probably have it without even knowing it.

It recorded just fine, but totally failed to show the pop-up windows such as the "insert constraint" window. Seems to be not possible with it. So the video was useless, you could not see what was going on, just the cursor "randomly" moving around..

I used the GIF program instead.

So I "borrowed" the part from above. I constrained it to a plane and axis, then wanted it parallel to another plane. The old "orient" is what I wanted.

Animated GIF below.

(yes, I did not need to open the full constraint window, but it works the same if you do not do that)

As you see, the error message appeared and needed to be closed, because it could not first be completely explained as to what constraint type was wanted. The type of constraint the program selected was "coincident", which is not possible, so the error.

With the old version, one selected the type first, and then everything was interpreted correctly.

Attachments

• orient errors.gif
    orient errors.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited: