What's new

Creating an Arch Inside a Rectangle Causes Sketch Is Not Closed Error

frogydiak

Hello! New to Alibre Atom3D and I'm trying to create a simplerectangle with rounded top corner. So I created a rectangle then arc in the left corner. When I exit sketch I get an error "sketch is not closed" error. I zoomed in the ends of arch and it is constraints to the rectangle line. I also tried using the coincident constraint but I'm getting an over-constraint error. Where am I doing wrong?

1700436358735.png
Thanks!

Mibe

Alibre Super User
If you want the arc in the same sketch as the rectangle you need to trim the corner so only the arc remains.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Hello! New to Alibre Atom3D and I'm trying to create a simplerectangle with rounded top corner. So I created a rectangle then arc in the left corner. When I exit sketch I get an error "sketch is not closed" error. I zoomed in the ends of arch and it is constraints to the rectangle line. I also tried using the coincident constraint but I'm getting an over-constraint error. Where am I doing wrong?
Trim the unwanted lines to leave a single closed perimeter sketch the shape you want it!

1700437147681.png

I would highly recommend you check out the tutorials on the Alibre website, this is a fairly basic concept that you need to learn ... and there are many more things that will cause you real frustration if you don't follow the tutorials first.

Trimming Tutorial ...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Instead of creating the arc in the corner as a separate figure just apply a fillet. That will create the arc fully constrained to the sides of the rectangle and allow you to apply a dimension to it.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
My personal preference is to use 3D fillets and apply these as a separate feature to a previous rectangular feature. This approach makes it so much easier if you later decide to change the radius of the fillet. It also keeps the original sketch simpler, and hence faster to produce.

pridbor

Sounds interesting, David, but I couldn't create what you described.

I did a rectangular 2D sketch, activated a 3D sketch, and selected 2 lines only to find the 3D fillet greyed out.

Please advise

Thanks

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I believe he meant that this:

1700502164494.png

Generally works better than this:

1700502238131.png

Alibre likes you to keep the sketch simple, then put the complexity into the 3d body as often as possible. Same with patterns. A pattern of circles in a sketch hogs more computer resources than once circle, extruded into a hole, then patterned in the 3d environment with the pattern tool.

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Frogydiak,
Welcome to Alibre, great to have you. I cover making videos/educational content, let me know if you need any or can't find anything.