What's new

Custom extension for the Space Navigator

MilesH

Alibre Super User
You hardly move the cap, it's more like applying pressure to it.

If the pad were attached to the knob it would be impossible to press a key without moving the model... interesting idea, though.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
GaretDH said:
Now that is a cool idea, Miles.

How about some kind of repeating pattern for feeling your location. Something like the two/three pattern of a piano keyboard?

I may have to wait until these are available to get my left hand input device :)

Garet

Like this? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• kb.png
    kb.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 180

sigseven

This is an awesome idea.

I don't use a Space Navigator, but just the idea of people using Alibre to make a new device to improve the use of Alibre is really cool.

Good luck!

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
But they hid the 2000 electrodes protruding into the skull from the camera view. Not sure I like the ideal of brain surgery to control my mouse. :shock: :lol:

Well, as you know, there are always tiny drawbacks to new technologies.... but they are not major as compared with the benefits. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Haven't you heard, electrodes protruding from your scull is all the rage now in fashion and beauty. :mrgreen:

:idea: Miles, I like the one with three rows of buttons but I would make them larger elliptical buttons that are concave in the center. Maybe have some kinda home row texture to some like the F and J keys have. Keep it ambidextrous.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Nate,

I think I'm slowly getting there.

I'm thinking it would be a better idea to have just 16 buttons (4 rows of 4), so that no lateral finger movement is needed, and 2 or 3 larger ones convenient for the thumb. The layer toggle could be controlled by a footswitch, for 2 layers that would give about 36 macros storage. Thoughts?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
MilesH said:
footswitch
What are you making an antique sowing machine?

Actually I think having the buttons closer together angle wise is good. Instead of a foot switch maybe just put a few different color LEDs on the top edge to show the layer and let the user define the buttons including the one that shifts.

BTW: That got me thinking, (Everybody Ducks) perhaps the SN would make a good shift knob for racing sims.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
Instead of a foot switch maybe just put a few different color LEDs on the top edge to show the layer and let the user define the buttons including the one that shifts.

That's what I'm used to at the moment and it's not ideal.. Press and hold for layer change is too restricting. Press again for each change, slows things down. If the thumb was only used for layer change, it might be ok.. I made a foot controller for controlling a tape deck for home recording, once, that worked really well.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
This would always be an option, in any case, as any button is configurable to change the layer state :)

Ralf

Alibre Super User
...we should do it right from the start :D

2x in the "Middle console"

Attachments

• A309.jpg
    A309.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 205

MilesH

Alibre Super User
:D

The other possibility is to use a latching switch for layer state (there are only 2 layers for the PI Eng. software). The trouble with visual cues is, you have to take your eyes off the screen to check them... :) Ideally, the layer state would be displayed as an icon on the computer screen.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User