What's new

Differences between Alibre and other CAD, Fusion etc?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
So to bring this thread back on track:

The heading asks how Alibre stacks up against other CAD. Fusion is mentioned in the heading and I know Onshape was discussed too. Well the CAD world is much larger than those two but I suspect they were mentioned because they are free. Never tried Fusion. They price is good but no company will release cheap software that has the same capabilities as it flagship product. Ever. Plus its Autodesk. I will never trust Autodesk not to screw me with my files. Based on that alone I would choose Onshape. A new upstart company that answers to no-one. Cloud still doesn't work for me but that might no be everyone's issue.

But of course it doesn't end there: Catia, NX, Creo, Solidworks, Solidedge, Topsolid, ViziCad, ZW3D are names that immediately leap to to mind that have great reputations. And most (if not all) include PLM and CAM too. Fusion and Onshape just don't stack on that level and I doubt they ever will as they seem to be more focused newcomers and hobbyists.

Alibre... I think Alibre is full of potential but currently all the little glitches and bugs are becoming a bit much. The Alibre team are going to have to get the software running smoothly and reliably asap.

JST

Alibre Super User
Those were mentioned because they are popular, not because of price.

But, price-wise, we'd be going up to maybe SWX, but specifically NOT to Catia, nor any of the other high end and very capable programs. You have to be reasonable in what is included, to keep the results relevant.

Also, really not thinking about non-parametric style programs. The utility of the parameter-based operation is just so much better, that I cannot ever see going back personally, and cannot understand why anyone else would either.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
JST said:
But, price-wise, we'd be going up to maybe SWX, but specifically NOT to Catia, nor any of the other high end and very capable programs. You have to be reasonable in what is included, to keep the results relevant.
Thats the catch though. I know it might not apply to everyone here but if you want to land that Airbus/Land Rover/Jaguar/ Toyota contract you have to use Catia. For BMW and Mercedes its NX (I speak under correction). So sometimes a massive outlay is required to get the work.

JST said:
Also, really not thinking about non-parametric style programs. The utility of the parameter-based operation is just so much better, that I cannot ever see going back personally, and cannot understand why anyone else would either.
If your goal is just to model something and you aren't interested in drawings or parametrics then why not consider Moi? Fantastic modelling capabilities and the soon to be released V4 will be x64 too. Runs on Windows, Linux and Mac. Doesn't use the cloud. Has a fantastic community. And costs only $295...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
If Alibre were no longer an option then I guess SW would be the closest thing. Very similar in function. Has more features. If you stretch you budget a little more then possibly opt for Solidedge , which is more pwerful and stable.

JST

Alibre Super User
I use GMD, wil switch to the new Alibre when there is a reason to do that. I am paid up and able to switch whenever. I have neither a need nor a desire to change CAD systems. The point of the matter, is in the nature of a comparison.

Any CAD system is going to have to do drawings, etc. It's going to have to do output to a rendering program. Those things are features of Alibre, and are really base level stuff that should be expected.

I am really trying to figure out if there are any OTHER "comparable" CAD systems that have specific advantages over Alibre, in terms of features, or entire categories of features that they have and Alibre does not. The term "comparable" is intended to mean other "parametric" CAD systems up to the general price level of "Geomagic Design". Lesser-featured cheaper programs are of no interest, unless they are actually NOT "lesser-featured".

Fusion, of course, is a moving target, and is "free", within certain limits. I do not know if it has things that Alibre does not, or if it lacks things that Alibre has. Same with other CAD. I have looked at TurboCad, which is generally similar in price (but not a serious competitor), and I will look at some others. But I cannot look at all on spec.... I had hoped others had more info.