What's new

Dimension center to center

GordonL

When working on 2D drawing I want to dimension from the center of a hole to either another hole or another feature or hole to hole. I have tried inserting a center point in the 3D model but the point does not come through to the 2D drawing. When I try to dimension from a hole it shows the diameter of the hole but no way to actually dimension from the center point. I can dimension it on the model and import all of the dimensions but that just gives be a bunch of dimensions in the wrong place and a bunch of dimensions that I do not want. It should not be this hard to dimension from hole to hole or hole to edge. What am I missing?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
With dimension tool active, click on the hole edge, then click on the other hole edge or feature (e.g. straight edge of part). Often the slot dimensioning dialogue will pop up - choose which option suits you needs, click OK and then place the dimension.

HoleDims.jpg

GordonL

With dimension tool active, click on the hole edge, then click on the other hole edge or feature (e.g. straight edge of part). Often the slot dimensioning dialogue will pop up - choose which option suits you needs, click OK and then place the dimension.

View attachment 39248
OK That does what I want. I kept getting the the slot dimension and I got confused because I did not want a slot. I wanted X and Y dimensions.

So far the dimensioning is the program feature that I am the most dissatisfied with.

Thanks for the reply.

Gordon

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Atom3D doesn't include ordinate dimensions, but you can dimension from (say) edges of part.

GordonL

Atom3D doesn't include ordinate dimensions, but you can dimension from (say) edges of part.
Yes. I ran into this recently when I had to drill a bunch of holes on the mill. The mill has digital readouts so ordinate dimensions are what I frequently need. I ended up exporting a DXF to my old 2D cad to get a drawing of what I actually needed. I frequently make a seperate drawing of a part just for that information. It does not actually become a part of the overall drawing package but is just used for reference during fabrication of the part.

I certainly miss a lot of the features included with my old 2D program.

GordonL

I use this for my hobby and I am 83 years old. There is no way that I can justify $1000. I end up making perhaps 3 or 4 drawing sets per year. The drawings are only used in my shop so I don't have to impress anyone else.

gwbruce

I use Visual Cadd. Owned a metal fabricating shop for 30 years where I designed and built special material handling equipment.
I have never used Visual Cadd. I'm an old AutoCAD user from way back. Then went to work for a company that used Anvil 5000. Very powerful but not to user friendly. Then they switched to AutoCAD so I was right at home. Then they wanted us to start using Pro-E and I hated it. Then I changed jobs and was back to using AutoCAD. Then they lost AutoCAD (licensing issues) and switched to Draftsight. It was a lot like AutoCAD so no big issues. Then I left there and went to work for a place that uses Solidworks and Draftsight. When windows upgraded to Windows 7 my old version on AutoCAD I had a home no longer would run so I had to find a new cad software to use at home. I purchased ACTcad and it works great. Basically just like AutoCAD and a lot less expensive. I wanted 3D modeling capability at home so I found Alibre. Had some extra money so i purchased the Design Expert package and haven't looked back. So far there isn't anything I do at work with SW that I can't do at home. Sometimes the workflow is a little different but it works. You will really enjoy Alibre and if you ever need to update your 2D look into ActCad.

Stu3d

I use Visual Cadd. Owned a metal fabricating shop for 30 years where I designed and built special material handling equipment.
I too use Visual Cadd, probably fastest 2d cad software available as every command has a 2 or 3 letter keyboard shortcut. I started with it's predecessor Generic Cadd in about 1987.

GordonL

I too use Visual Cadd, probably fastest 2d cad software available as every command has a 2 or 3 letter keyboard shortcut. I started with it's predecessor Generic Cadd in about 1987.
I also started about that time. I started when the program was on 5" floppy disks and you had to change discs to do the next operation. I certainly wish that there was a similar 3D program. When I use Alebre I keep trying to do things by entering the two letter command that I have been using for the last 30+ years. There are so many things that just work so much better in Visual Cadd, for instance direct entry of coordinates. With Visual you can just enter the diameter and the X & Y coordinates to place a circle. With Alebre you have to make a circle someplace and then edit the diameter, X distance and Y distance. Do not place the circle too close to the correct position or it will be hard to move it to the correct position.

Stu3d

I also started about that time. I started when the program was on 5" floppy disks and you had to change discs to do the next operation. I certainly wish that there was a similar 3D program. When I use Alebre I keep trying to do things by entering the two letter command that I have been using for the last 30+ years. There are so many things that just work so much better in Visual Cadd, for instance direct entry of coordinates. With Visual you can just enter the diameter and the X & Y coordinates to place a circle. With Alebre you have to make a circle someplace and then edit the diameter, X distance and Y distance. Do not place the circle too close to the correct position or it will be hard to move it to the correct position.
I sometimes find it quicker to produce a 2d drawing in Visual Cadd, convert vcd file to dwg/dxf, import file to Alibre and produce a part from that. I started with GC Level 1 which had no snaps so instantly upgraded to Level 3. Some drawings used to take minutes to redraw until I got a 286 cpu with 387 co processor. I fequently try and use 2 letter commands in Alibre :)