What's new

Drawing gear teeth

slipstick

I'd like to see a tutorial about modeling the teeth on spur and bevel gears. I personally don't need them to be completely accurate, but they need to look right, for rendering. I've seen tutorials using other CAD packages, but they go light on how to actually draw the teeth, and delve into the math of making accurate teeth in horrifying detail.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I personally don't need them to be completely accurate, but they need to look right, for rendering. I've seen tutorials using other CAD packages, but they go light on how to actually draw the teeth, and delve into the math of making accurate teeth in horrifying detail.
Have a look in the add-ons section and the work @bolsover has put into this topic just to make things nice and easy for everyone regarding gear generation.

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see a tutorial about modeling the teeth on spur and bevel gears. I personally don't need them to be completely accurate, but they need to look right, for rendering. I've seen tutorials using other CAD packages, but they go light on how to actually draw the teeth, and delve into the math of making accurate teeth in horrifying detail.
If you need anything more than that video let me know.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
If you are looking for "standard" gears, then the built in gear generator in Alibrescript will will be fine.
If you need oversized or undersized gears I have a script that puts a tooth on an existing blank, which can then be patterned. (The script can't do it yet)
It works for both spur and helical gears.

We have our own gear cutting machines so my drawings only need the correct blank OD for the turners. The teeth are just eye candy.

Here is one of my scripted gears.

1692828535298.png

The script assumes that the axis of the gear is on the X-Axis

Attachments

• Gear Teeth Generator.py
    6.9 KB · Views: 10