What's new

drawing note with part properties

Is it possible with scripting to pick a part in a drawing view and extract the part name, part data or custom properties, then place the note on the drawing? It would be nice if this data was parametric but static would be more accurate and quicker than entering the data manually.

tia

Hi HaroldL, thanks for the link. I did read this but haven't tried it yet because of assuming that it will cover a drawing that has a single part in it, or at least a single part on a sheet. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong. The drawing sheets in question have multiple, sometimes may parts detailed on them so I'm having an issue in seeing how Fields will work in that situation.

Drawings in AD are very interesting, right now getting used to requirements is first, automating after understanding is second. Custom properties in each file will be an important part of this, especially with assemblies.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Your assumption is correct, Fields will populate with part data from the first part inserted into the drawing and are typically used for a single part per drawing.
All my work experience has been with single part per drawing at my workplace. That made it easy to assign part/drawing numbers and manage revision control and part property data for the parts/drawings with PLM system. Assembly drawings didn't have any individual part data on them since it was called out at the part level.

I think that even using fields in a custom symbol may not work for your situation since the fields would be populated by the first part in the drawing.

The only time I created a multi-detail drawing was in Technical College, and then the only part data manually added to the part views was Part Number, Material, and Qty Req'd. Personally, I like singe detail drawings, and I find multi-detail drawings tend to be difficult to read if the views are too close together. I'm referring to drawings I used to create my model of the Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies steam tractor.

Here's and example:

1686524344601.png

Thanks for the reply, going to adjust process to match capabilities and priorities. Accuracy, for me, comes first, and Fields looks like the way to help get that. Your replies were more helpful than you know.

Hi JimCad, the way I had started out is a drawing of the assembly with a parts list that contains the custom properties and a view with balloons.

If a separate drawing is made for each part it sounds like Fields can be used but the parts list number and quantity are lost. Wondering how others handle assemblies detailing.

JimCad

So what you're after is a drawing showing the individual parts but still within the assembly. As you say, if you open each part individually they have no idea about being in an assembly (which is correct).
I'm new to Alibre so just stabbing away in the dark really. I just tried creating a new configuration and bringing it through to the drawing but failed to make that do what you asked.
You can create a drawing and then hide the unwanted parts in the drawing browser. That looks like it would work but don't know if it's the correct method with Alibre.
I'm an ex Inventor user and with that I would create design view representations of required parts and bring those into the drawing. I'm looking forward the a "proper" answer from someone who knows what they're talking about. :)
Jim

Hi again JimCad, all of what you said is why I was asking if custom properties were accessible through scripting by selecting parts off the screen. Every cad system I've used has shortcomings but they can often times be circumvented with scripting or custom programs.

After all, it's impossible for developers to envision and accommodate all end user requirements, scripting helps.

JimCad

I wrote a lot of macros when I was a CNC turner but scripting for this sort of thing is WAY over my head. I'll leave it to people far cleverer than "little old Me"
Very interested in seeing the outcome of this though.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not aware of any current plans for script in drawings.

Enhancement requests have been logged to enable properties such as part number to be used in balloon callouts (related to BoM). This sounds similar to what you are looking for.... This isn't currently scheduled for implementation, but is on the list of candidates for the future.

More requests, and a convincing justification of the need for such functionality might improve the chances of this being progressed.

JimCad

I don't know why you WOULDN'T need it.
Being able to show and detail individual parts of an assembly without needing their own drawing / stock number etc.
Imagine a fabrication with a need to detail various parts.
Yes it can be done with section views etc. But a balloon saying " Item 30" " See sheet 7" for example.
If it's a complicated part it makes sense to be able to show the details but keep the Bom & Balloon structure without lots of different drawings. Just multiple sheets.
Hope this all makes sense.

I know what would be nice but have to work with the tools available. Thank you DavidJ, I've never put in an enhancement request before because I'm still learning, but this, it seems, is a good first.

Thanks for all the replies.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@JimCad and @multicaduser, What is your drafting background? Have you worked for a company with any drafting standards in place or are you making drawings for your own use?

Being able to show and detail individual parts of an assembly without needing their own drawing / stock number etc.
o_O The assembly drawing would soon be very cluttered.

Thanks for the question HaroldL. My experience started with Autocad 2.6 on msdos 2.3 in the early 1980's to Solidworks 2019 and NX2212 current, so yea I have experience with assemblies with up to about 230 unique parts including detail drawings for these assemblies. That does not include all the free and low cost cad systems used at home and of course half a dozen years on a drafting table.

I've created the drafting standards for every company along with some very intelligent parts to automate design. Organizing drawings so as not to be cluttered is not that difficult but a valid question to ask when the abilities of the party is not known. I'm self taught in every cad system I've used, so sometimes it's hard to see a path when you don't know what you don't know, that's why I ask among experience users on this forum.

AD is so very close to the higher end systems and only lacks a few features that would make it absolutely fabulous for the price in my eyes. It is the most capable of any system I've personally owned and has been great for me. Right now, I'm working on some real world home projects to learn AD, which seems to be a more effective way to learn than practice models. An ultimate goal is to become an AD freelancer part time when it comes time to retire.

Thanks again for the questions, they also help.

JimCad

I'm not that good!
I was a CNC Turner for about 25 years.
I managed to get a job in 2006 as part of a design team designing water treatment plants for the marine industry. I retired a couple of years ago.
Although I have no qualifications, I worked with some highly qualified colleagues who demanded standards.
We used Inventor and Autocad and I became the "unofficial" Cad manager.
Since retiring, I managed a couple of bits of freelance but relied on customers having a seat that I can use.
I have Purchased 4M Cad and Alibre with view to getting a few more bits of freelance (and for home use) I have a 3D printer and a CNC router.
As I said, I'm a novice and just learning this.
And as multicad user said, "AD is so very close to the higher end systems and only lacks a few features that would make it absolutely fabulous for the price in my eyes. It is the most capable of any system I've personally owned and has been great for me. Right now, I'm working on some real world home projects to learn AD, which seems to be a more effective way to learn than practice models. An ultimate goal is to become an AD freelancer part time when it comes time to retire"

Thanks.
Jim

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the info, I usually look at a persons profile to see it there has been any info filled in there to get a hint of the experience level before I comment on their post.

The company I worked for, nVent/Hoffman, used SolidWorks and held a pretty close adherence to the ASME drafting standards with some minor changes to accommodate the PLM system (Enovia) that was installed. There was a "one part, one drawing" policy since the part numbers were assigned, and revisions controlled, by PLM. No multi-detail drawings were allowed. Each part/drawing had its own 8-digit number assigned and they ended up being the same number for part and drawing. The Assembly BOM listed all the part numbers, description (name), quantities, and find numbers.

I find Alibre to be the closest to SolidWorks as far as features and drawing set up although there are some minor things from SW that I wish Alibre had. Over all, I am quite satisfied with Alibre and haven't looked into Inventor or On Shape or for that matter a lot of the other CAD programs that are popping up other than viewing some of their videos.

So I don't have to repeat myself too much, you can read more of my info on the 2nd place 2022 contest winners page.

JimCad

Interesting read Harold. Well done on that 2nd prize. It's a beautiful model.
If I sounded like I was complaining then I'm very sorry.
From wat I've seen of Alibre it's fantastic.
It's just a case of me getting familiar with it.
Just need more time! :)