What's new

Equation Editor Rules need better Explanation and EXAMPLES

albie0803

Alibre Super User
In reference to @jswendell query about the editor, I realize that the section Dimensionality of Equations in the help manual is sorely lacking.

It tells you about the parameter types and what won't work but doesn't really explain why or how to make it work.

This section needs to be greatly expanded with examples of how to change between the parameter types with step by step instructions explaining the logic at each step.

I feel that the EE is a greatly underused function because its just too hard for most to understand beyond simple math functions.

As the help files are now online, anyone who really understands this could type up a document and submit it to be added in to the online manual.

Lets make this happen so that nearly all of us can easily reference the quirks of the EE and be more productive with it.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The article I wrote some years go now (linked by Harold in the other thread) was intended to help. I'll need to have more details about what needs adding to that (or expanding/clarifying).

I'm not sure what is meant exactly by 'change between the parameter types' - could you say what that would be used to achieve?

Are you looking for more generalised examples than the one shown in the article?

Is it the concept of Dimensionality that causes problems? I only learnt about that in A level Physics, it wasn't even mentioned in Maths - so maybe not many people come across it.

I'm happy to revise the article, but I'm not sure what people need/want...

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Your article is great! It needs to be part of the help page for the EE or have a direct link to it from the page.
I still feel it could do with some editing so I will apply myself to that and get back to you.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Up until now there has been a bit of a conflict between size of the Help file and the extent of any content. I'm not sure that something like the EE and its various quirks is ever going to result in a concise entry. The new arrangement where there is a choice of whether to install the local help file or to rely exclusively on the web based version may open up options for additional content in the web version.

As a minimum the current article needs to be somewhere easier to find - since Freshdesk is no longer an active part of our support systems. I'll discuss with Max.

Feel free to either add specifics here, or to message me with suggestions for improvements/additions for an updated article.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone can feel free to revise or edit or suggest changes to existing topics / layout / structure of Help, or write entirely new topics - we will incorporate it into help. Ideally email them to me at max@alibre.com (except this one - you can work with David on it).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Max has confirmed to me that amount of content is largely not an issue any more, so no problem to expand the help entry.

As well as suggestions for specific items to include, I'd be interested to hear if people think a single extensive Help entry on EE is best, or maybe a smaller one covering basics, with a link to a knowledgebase article that expands on it...

Ex Machina

Max has confirmed to me that amount of content is largely not an issue any more, so no problem to expand the help entry.

As well as suggestions for specific items to include, I'd be interested to hear if people think a single extensive Help entry on EE is best, or maybe a smaller one covering basics, with a link to a knowledgebase article that expands on it...
I think we need to cover everything on the help entry. I only got going with the EE after reading your article... So, it should be all in one place, I think