What's new

Exporting....File Type Defaults?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Is there a way to control the Default Filetypes for the export options. In example attached, I prefer to use Step AP 242 File, versus Step AP 203. It sounds trivial, but it is 2 extra mouse-clicks every time I export a file. It adds up though.

The same is true for DWG Files.. It defaults to AutoCAD 2018 file, but we prefer to use the AutoCAD 2000 file. Again, "only" 2 extra mouse-clicks, but they add up. I can feel the carpel-tunnel already:p

A nice enhancement would be having the ability to control the default for all exports. Maybe it exists and I am not aware??

Attachments

• Export Defaults.png
    Export Defaults.png
    62 KB · Views: 5

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,

Your previously used export type should be remembered and offered by default the next time you export - IF you choose File -> Export from Menu bar.

For example, I've just tested on my system - from Part workspace export offered STL, - from drawing workspace export offered DWG(2000)

If you choose from File tab of Ribbon, the behaviour is not the same (presumably due the different hierarchy.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Ok.... That works.

I don't understand why I MUST have both the "new style" Ribbon displayed, and then also the "old style" menu bar displayed to achieve desired results.

File>Export from one is an entirely different function than File>Export in the other.

No other software packages I utilize have this "double" menu setup.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect it is as simple as functionality designed by different people at different time, and then some secondary behaviour gets lost in the noise. Am not excusing it - lack of consistency across different parts of the UI is a pet hate of mine.