What's new

External Threads via Alibre Script

Am I just missing it, or is there no way to create or modify an external thread via scripting?

I don't see any mention of threads in the reference manual. This post from the WizoScript days says it wasn't possible back then either. The script examples for creating fasteners doesn't add a thread to it. Alibre Design Expert's Dynamic Part Generator (scroll to the very bottom) lets you pick threads, so that should also be available using Alibre Script right?

Thanks in advance script gang!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you look at the four "thread types" that are selected they appear to actually be thread "sizes" not types -- M14, M16, M20, and M27. They will define the hole size. It doesn't say it will produce actual threaded features. I think it will function like the Hole Tool in that regard.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Am I just missing it, or is there no way to create or modify an external thread via scripting?
It is possible to modify existing helix features via AlibreScript, but unfortunately it isn't possible to create them from scratch. This was often wished from different forum members...

Regards
Stefan

JimCad

When I used Inventor there were many Thread types in a spreadsheet which we could add to for special threads. Are we restricted to just 4 types of thread?
Can we ad "specials" to them via a spreadsheet?
The answers won't stop me buying Alibre as I still think it's great value for money. I'm just curious.
Thanks.
Jim

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jim,

Alibre Design ships with a spreadsheet file containing a variety of thread types - not sure where your 4 comes from...

Yes you can add extra threads - even whole seriesThread Types.jpg

JimCad

Sorry. I was still on my first cup of tea and completely misunderstood what I read.
Thank you David for the quick reply.
That all makes sense.
It's just Me that doesn't. o_O

Last edited:
The Dynamic Part Generator uses an existing part as a template for creating new parts. So then it modifies them like Stefan mentioned.
Actually that's perfect, because I'm using template parts and importing spreadsheet values to create the various sizes I need. So can I modify an external cosmetic thread via Alibre Script?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Actually that's perfect, because I'm using template parts and importing spreadsheet values to create the various sizes I need. So can I modify an external cosmetic thread via Alibre Script?
You should be able to modify an existing ADExternalThreadFeature in the Alibre Design API using the Alibre Script Advanced API methods or undocumented methods. But I haven't tested that yet.