What's new

Feedback requested - Ribbon / Toolbar / Menu and UI consolidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
And seriously, can I not have some feature upgrades instead of a trivial visual redesign. Please.

Changing the ribbon layout consumes no extra resources. We have to move to a new SDK for the ribbon, which means we must reimplement it. In the process of doing so, modifying the order is trivial. It is not a matter of "change the ribbon or do other things". Also, we have a variety of developers. Some are hardcore ACIS folks, some are more UI centric - like any company. We are not generally consuming the hardcore ACIS people with moving buttons around. In other words, I think many people perceive development as a zero sum game when comparing X feature to Y feature, but often times it isn't.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, I'm not crazy about losing features or over-combining them to save space.

100% of the functionality is there. You aren't losing anything. Push/Pull's main benefit was you saw the feature in realtime. Now all features (in Part Workspace) will have that, so they are just duplicate tools effectively. Also, we aren't doing this for the ribbon - we are doing this as a consequence of realtime previews. That it happens to free up some space is convenient.

Isnt it just a picture in the Buttons Code?!
The reason it doesn't make sense to have an OK - Boss and OK - Cut button is that AD wouldn't know which one to preview until you press OK, at which point the feature is already finalized. We are not going to mess with these dialogs until a bit later. v23's UI changes will be primarily ribbon changes on the model tab of part workspace.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Changing the ribbon layout consumes no extra resources. We have to move to a new SDK for the ribbon, which means we must reimplement it. In the process of doing so, modifying the order is trivial. It is not a matter of "change the ribbon or do other things". Also, we have a variety of developers. Some are hardcore ACIS folks, some are more UI centric - like any company. We are not generally consuming the hardcore ACIS people with moving buttons around. In other words, I think many people perceive development as a zero sum game when comparing X feature to Y feature, but often times it isn't.
Fair enough. What's SDK?

domcm

@Max

New menu looks good to me. The only menu area that becomes a bit more confusing is the menu group called "Thread." I know it was called "Thread" before, but now that you have a pull-down that only shows one menu pick, the "Hole" menu will become buried at times and it may not be apparent to new users that the "Threads" menu is also for unthreaded holes. I realized this is a bit if a nit but you asked for feedback:)

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough. What's SDK?
As Idslk said, a software dev kit. But really it just means company X used to make our ribbon and for a variety of reasons we need to use a ribbon from company Y now. The existing one was ok, but used to be much more actively developed than it is now. For example, when a windows update dropped months ago, you all may remember the ribbon became inaccessible and we had to wait on a release from our provider to fix it.

We're moving to a much more actively developed, modern, faster ribbon kit that supports things like vector graphics, runtime customization (making your own ribbons), etc. This gives us confidence that if MSFT breaks something, we have a phone number to call and a large team dedicated to fixing it for us, for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.