What's new

[Fixed] - [V21] Smallest design tree size is way too big

dwc

Alibre Super User
Just downloaded V21.
How do I get a design tree size as it was before e.g. about the same size text as in the menus?
I see there are three sizes, but I don't get small, medium and large. I get large, larger and tremendous.
The smallest size a almost twice what I would like (and had).
Is there some Win10 strangeness to be dealt with, for example?
Looking forward to trying out those new constraints.
Don

dwc

Alibre Super User
Simon beat me to it. I see the same as he does and have the same settings.
BTW: may have been quick for the download, but just did a random Utilities>update from the program and it told me there was a new version, so I got it.
Will roll back for now.
Don

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Still investigating this. We have some machines at 100% scaling at 1920x1080 in Win10 and don't see this. We will likely have an info request tomorrow to figure out how some other settings Windows settings might be affecting this.

tk1247

I have a 4K display (3840x2160) on an Nvidia Quadro P2000 with the size of text at the MS recommended 150%. Small is a good size, large seems 2-3x small, and very large is way too large to be useful, or gigantic, as others have said. Windows 10 handling of app text size for 4K monitors relative to 1080P is always erratic and unpredictable at best. I have another CAM app where the editor text is almost unreadably small with the same settings.
Tom

simonb65

Alibre Super User
With the settings reported earlier in this thread (and they are the standard default out-of-the-box settings that my laptop came with) the displayed design explorer, when set to small, is the same size as the medium preview in the settings page ...

upload_2020-4-10_17-46-34.png

I measured the height of the 'N' in 'New Part (1)' and on my display its 12px. On the size previews, they are Small=9px, Medium=12px, Large=19px. Assuming the previews are 100% screen grabs of an actual design intent tree.

So, the scaling seems to be 150% of the intended size. @Max, if you let me know what the drawing scaling of the tree items is and which windows function it is using to get those local scaling based text metrics, I can knock up a quick test (or even just edit the OnPaint code of one of my own owner drawn TreeViews to see if it behaves the same and if it does I can find the windows metric that is causing it on my specific windows framework.

The fact that the expand/contract box and icons are scaled the 'same' indicates a common drawing scale calc and not just a text extent function.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
No sure how the Alibre guys have implemented dpi scaling, but the application reports that it is 'Per-Monitor Aware' for DPI Awareness, yet on my Win10 machine, its the only application that doesn't scale its window and contents (and that's both a live change and after re-starting Alibre) when you change the Windows->Display Settings->Scale and Layout. Not sure how it's being implemented in Alibre, but it looks like its being done manually and not using the windows framework.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yesterday the Design Explorer Tree size was just fine with the Small setting. Now today when I start to work on a model the Tree size setting is still at Small but is looks like Medium.
DesignExplorerScaling.png

And my display Scaling is set to 100%:
DisplayScaling100 Pct.png

Not sure what happened overnight but this is odd.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Can you define "fine" - is the sizing as you expect and, as I assume, the minimum option is likely both the desired and maximum size that you would want?

Thanks!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Can you define "fine" - is the sizing as you expect and, as I assume, the minimum option is likely both the desired and maximum size that you would want?
By 'fine', that means that it works as intended! As for the sizes, on a 1280x1024 display, the Large is way too big to be usable. I would say on that resolution display the Medium is the biggest you would want to go, so if that was the Largest and the Medium was in between that and small.

However on larger resolution displays (i.e. 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 or 4K), I can understand the need for the current Large, but in that instance, I would imagine the ribbon would be tiny and unreadable unless it has dynamic scaling built in!

I will try it on my desktop (although its higher resolution, it's a larger screen, so the dpi will not be any different ... just more real estate! Need to test on a laptop with hi-res .. which I don't have.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
This is a full screen 1280x1024 capture on Large (21031) for a comparison of the tree and other UI elements ...
upload_2020-4-11_9-47-19.png

dwc

Alibre Super User
21031 looks good to me.
Small is now just right for me now.
Not sure who might need large, I can read it from the other side of the house, but who am I to know.
Go for it.
Don

tk1247

Hi Max,
I have tried ver 21.0.0.21031 on my 4K display (3840x2160) on an Nvidia Quadro P2000 with the size of text at the MS recommended 150%. Small is too small to use for these old eyes, medium is about right (comparable to the ribbon/menu text, and large is still too large to be practical. BTW, did there used to be an Apply button under settings or am I not remembering correctly? There is now only OK and Cancel.
Tom

Capture22.JPG

Last edited: