What's new

[Fixed] - [V21] Smallest design tree size is way too big

domcm

Looks good here running on 2560 x 1440 display @ 150% display scaling (medium tree size).

Joe Gwinn

Why does Alibre even have undefined small, medium, large font sizes? It's cleaner to specify font height in printers' points, as most word processors do.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The Design Explorer is back to normal on my system. I selected Small in System Options and it is the same, as near as I can tell, as previous version.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Not sure who might need large
Not sure why we need to manually scale one single UI element (i.e. the design explorer). The other elements are controlled by the windows display settings (see @tk1247 post above). Would love to know if there are plans on the road map to change the scale other UI elements too, like menus, ribbon, dialogs, etc? of if this was just a solution to a single use case.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Why does Alibre even have undefined small, medium, large font sizes? It's cleaner to specify font height in printers' points, as most word processors do.
I would personally have opted for a scale slider from times 1 to times 4 in say 10 increments and use that scale factor to adjust the size rather than 3 fixed steps. You would have catered for any screen size with less dependency on trying to make 3 fixed sizes fit all adaptor/windows/screen/dpi variants and combinations. It could have a preview of the size in the settings dialog, so you can see the size you select before hitting OK or Apply.

sz0k30

I have never seen anyone complain about the scale of the "Design Explorer". So I don't understand the need to change it?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like this build fixes the issue. The sizes are not all supposed to look good or be usable on every screen - rather they exist because on some screens you may need a large and some you may need a small. Glad the issue is addressed.

People who need a bigger DE, the primary driving factor of this feature, are people who use 4K displays with a low scale factor. The previous DE was very hard to see in that context.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I would personally have opted for a scale slider from times 1 to times 4 in say 10 increments and use that scale factor to adjust the size rather than 3 fixed steps.

Our icons are raster files in fixed increments and so arbitrary scaling isn't an easy option for us. We have looked at vector-based UI and it is appealing - when we have the time to do that we are considering it.