What's new

Fuzzy looking lines and text (2019 version)

jc-s

+1. The new graphics engine is nice, but some things are just hard on the eyes now, which weren't before.

NigelL

+1. The new graphics engine is nice, but some things are just hard on the eyes now, which weren't before.

Agreed. It would be nice to have the option to disable the anti-aliasing features when in Sketch mode. Alternatively a way to increase the size of the dimensions in Sketch mode.

Idahoan

+1 yes I hope this can be resolved, certainly not very nice to look at, and/or work with. I'm also seeing the dimension text size issue.

Dave

BenzB

I find it difficult to select entities in a sketch mode. May be due to the fuzziness?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

We have made a build - but since we can't reproduce this locally it would be nice if someone could try it and see if it fixes your issue. We believe the issue is due to a combination of resolution and antialiasing.

We have created this build, not officially released, that exposes the ability to turn off antialiasing. Could someone experiencing fuzzy text / lines please do the following and report back:

1) Download this ZIP file.
2) Unzip it and install 20051 from the ZIP
3) Double click the file Antialias_OFF.reg to turn off AA in the registry
4) Run AD and see if your issue is resolved.
5) Report back.

Please don't save a bunch of stuff in this version as it is not officially released, though it will be shortly so the risk is quite low.

For those that are interested, you can tweak the AA settings in the registry file to selectively disable certain things, but suggest starting with it all off and see the differences before tweaking.

"Antialias Designs"="No"
"Antialias Drawings"="No"
"Antialias Sketching"="No"

Thanks!

jc-s

Thanks for the fast update on this, Max.

It almost works for me. In sketching, numeric dimensions are still anti-aliased, as are the constraint indicators. But sketch lines and dimension arrows are not anti-aliased, so are nice and sharp.

The X, Y, Z of the co-ordinate legend are also not anti-aliased; however, those never seem to be anti-aliased regardless of any setting (maybe this was always the case).

In Drawings, dimension text is still anti-aliased even when everything else isn't.

So, from my quick test, it looks like the text (and constraint indicators) need to be changed to respect the anti-alias setting.

NigelL

Hello all,
We have made a build - but since we can't reproduce this locally it would be nice if someone could try it and see if it fixes your issue. We believe the issue is due to a combination of resolution and antialiasing.

We have created this build, not officially released, that exposes the ability to turn off antialiasing. Could someone experiencing fuzzy text / lines please do the following and report back:
Thanks!

Hi Max

I have just tried this and I see a difference between the Anti-Aliasing set to OFF and set to ON, but neither of them are as "crisp" as the setting when using the Legacy Display settings. I have attached screenshots showing the effect of the different settings.

Regards, Nigel

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    115 KB · Views: 35
  • Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Clipboard03.png
    Clipboard03.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 35

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Would you mind sending some screenshots of your 2D drawing text and dim text in a sketch from a part workspace to max@alibre.com. Also, what is your monitor resolution and Windows UI scale factor?

jc-s

I've sent you an email with some files.

Monitor resolution:
1920 x 1200, scaling 100%.
nVidia P2000 GPU.

Idahoan

I have simular results to Nigel, maybe a bit better with AA turned off but still not as good as the legacy mode.
I have a dated graphics card, (Quadro 4000) and I would be up to replacing it if it would help; but seeing others having the same issues I'm not sure at this time I should.
Also see how bold the construction lines are?
My screen resolution is 1920x1200 and scale is 100%.
I love the new 3d graphics, but the sketching is another story.

Thanks Max and team for looking in to this issue and hopefully you can get it sorted out or let us know if it is a hardware issue on our end.

Dave

Attachments

• Settings.JPG
    Settings.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Alibre_Legacy_On.JPG
    Alibre_Legacy_On.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Alibre_AA_On.JPG
    Alibre_AA_On.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Alibre_AA_Off.JPG
    Alibre_AA_Off.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

BenzB

Wow! Big, big difference with the test build and AA off! Much better, much easier to interact with. I did do a restart after each registry change. Still seems a bit sluggish compared to 2018 though. With the AA off the ambient occlusion isn't nearly as distracting though I would rather it defaulted to off or have the option to. Just my preference.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
With the AA off the ambient occlusion isn't nearly as distracting though I would rather it defaulted to off or have the option to. Just my preference.
Create a new part
Go to File Properties > Display tab
Uncheck "Ambient Occlusion"
Check "Set current settings as the default settings"...
Click Apply

Larry

I've experimented with the recommendations mentioned to date - the "realtime line widths" has no effect. The "Use Legacy Display" does sharpen the text, but lost is the "Reflectivity" function in the "Color Properties..." menu.

Version 2019 (20050) ; the first image is with legacy unchecked, the second with legacy checked. Monitor is 1900x1080, Win 10 display 100%.

Can a link be provided to a download for v2018 - until this all gets sorted out, I'd prefer to work with the earlier version.

Thanks. DSCN3273_edited-1.jpg DSCN3271_edited-1.jpg

Max

Administrator
Staff member
So an issue we've discovered is that some entities seem to be getting antialiased more than once. Not exactly sure yet if this is what is actually happening, but the appearance is consistent with something like that. Text is one such thing.

Turning AA off via the registry will not disable AA - rather, it should prevent things from getting antialiased twice. In theory, the result is properly antialiased text.

Text in every application you use is antialiased - websites, Word, Excel, everything for the most part. As long as the antialiasing is happening correctly (which it in theory should, if you "disable" AA via the registry - keeping in mind this is really disabling the 2nd pass), it should look good - unless you have an explicit preference for unantialiased text. I'm not sure anyone actually has such a preference given the ubiquity of antialiased text.

So the question I have is - if you use the registry entries to turn everything off - does the resulting text (ignoring the sketch figures/ref geometry) in sketch mode look good now? Yes, it will appear "blurry" if you zoom in a screenshot, but should be no more "blurry" than the text you see while typing a response to this forum. If it is, then that's an issue to address. So - if you disable everything (while in new graphics mode), does it look acceptable?

From the word "blurry" on this forum:

upload_2019-8-8_13-30-47.png

Larry

Appreciate the quick response - as a reference metric, attached is a photo (slightly different font) from Excel 2016, presumably antialiased only once. This displayed on the same machine as the previous pix.

Also, to which registry entries are you referring? I did read your yesterday's post regarding the new build (20051) with the link(s) to the registry - haven't tried it yet though.

Thanks

DSCN3279_edited-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN3279_edited-1.jpg
    DSCN3279_edited-1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Also, to which registry entries are you referring? I did read your yesterday's post regarding the new build (20051) with the link(s) to the registry - haven't tried it yet though.

In the download there is a .reg file - double click it to insert it into the registry and build 51 should then display better behavior.