What's new

Fuzzy looking lines and text (2019 version)

Here is Max's full explanation of why we have a new graphics engine: https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...t-of-new-features-or-fixes.20814/#post-133144

I get that the graphics "improvements" aren't a big deal to you - They aren't to me either. They are messed up on my PC too. Alibre left the Legacy Graphics option in there so we can still get work done. If that isn't working we can uninstall 2019 and reinstall 2018.

Now this backs up what you said. And I get the idea, just keeping this thread on the stated topic: fuzzy looking text.

On a slightly related note is there a way to save files as 2018? otherwise I would be stuck with 2019.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone, please hold tight. We have identified the issue set and are working with TechSoft to fix it as robustly as possible. In an internal build, we have selectable text in PDF working, no more "triangle text", crisper sketch dims, etc. etc. etc.

Many of these fixes require an update to their next SP, which will be released in about 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, we are working against their nightly builds to ensure as many of these issues are addressed as robustly as possible. Within 2-3 weeks, we should have a pretty massive update that will improve quality of life of 2019.

In the meantime, this week we should have a build out for fixing some STEP export issues related to helical / elliptical geometry, fix a faceting bug in 2D drawings such that Refine Edge and changing the facets overall will work (nicer non-linear figures in 2D), and a few others.

I will make an interim build available to a handful of people that has the TechSoft nightly build and our to-date fixes for the primary purpose of seeing "if it looks good on their monitor" and nothing else (don't use it for anything). I'll reach out when we are ready to do that.

Everyone, please hold tight. We have identified the issue set and are working with TechSoft to fix it as robustly as possible. In an internal build, we have selectable text in PDF working, no more "triangle text", crisper sketch dims, etc. etc. etc.

Many of these fixes require an update to their next SP, which will be released in about 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, we are working against their nightly builds to ensure as many of these issues are addressed as robustly as possible. Within 2-3 weeks, we should have a pretty massive update that will improve quality of life of 2019.

In the meantime, this week we should have a build out for fixing some STEP export issues related to helical / elliptical geometry, fix a faceting bug in 2D drawings such that Refine Edge and changing the facets overall will work (nicer non-linear figures in 2D), and a few others.

I will make an interim build available to a handful of people that has the TechSoft nightly build and our to-date fixes for the primary purpose of seeing "if it looks good on their monitor" and nothing else (don't use it for anything). I'll reach out when we are ready to do that.

Thanks for the communication Max.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
That says nothing about the graphics update being implemented to allow for those to be implemented.
Max's last response to my comment asking for inserting bitmaps is 'This is in the plan for the future'! With out the current graphics engine, feature like this just can't be easily done .

As @NateLiqGrav says, if you don't like or want the new features, either don't upgrade or just use the Legacy Graphics option. Simple!

The changes Alibre have made to the back end are there to ensure the product can not only move forward, but to keep up with the competition. Without that progress, the product would be at risk. Then you'll be forking out $10K's or rely on some free CAD to do your work. Some of us rely on this cost effective package for our business'. For some of us 'Free' is not an option and the competitors prices make that a non-starter. So we need to support Alibre. You should be lucky that the team (including the CEO) are pro-active, listen to their customers, responsive and are freely contactable on forums like this. You certainly don't get that with other CAD products!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
And can I really downgrade? What happens to files saved in 2019 format?
You can downgrade - contact support for the installer if you don't have it saved. Uninstall 2019 then install 2018.

Files saved with 2019 will not be able to be opened with 2018. Support may be able to back-port files but I've never asked.

If graphics are your only troubles I would recommend first just using the Legacy Display option in 2019 and see if that works for you.

You can downgrade - contact support for the installer if you don't have it saved. Uninstall 2019 then install 2018.

Files saved with 2019 will not be able to be opened with 2018. Support may be able to back-port files but I've never asked.

If graphics are your only troubles I would recommend first just using the Legacy Display option in 2019 and see if that works for you.

Thanks for the response. I am already using legacy mode and most of my issues are not graphics related. I have many assemblies with a lot of parts so I do not think it is worth mine or Alibre support's time to convert them all. I also fear that would exacerbate stability issues I am having.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with using Legacy Mode, is that Max stated in another post (If I can find it I'll post the link) that it will be withdrawn at some point!

Yes, it will be. Not soon, and actually for reasons I won't get into here it is possible we may keep it a tad longer, unrelated to this conversation or reasons. But it is based on technology (DX9) that was released 17 years ago. However, most if not all of the issues some people are experiencing right now on the new pipeline (e.g. fuzzy text / weird PDF behavior) will be fixed in the coming weeks. If your reason to stay on the old pipeline is due to that, then it's a non issue.

If someone is making 300 part assemblies on a 12 year old laptop with an integrated video card, at some point it is reasonable to expect to need to upgrade your hardware. The latest and greatest $3000 computer is not required - but something reasonableish and recentish should be used. For example, a CAD-capable video card made in the last few years, on a processor made in the last few years, with enough RAM to work with modern operating systems, etc. It all depends on what someone is doing, but the the jist is that "if your machine can't provide good performance on anything except the DX9 framework, it's probably time to upgrade".

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The problem with using Legacy Mode, is that Max stated in another post (If I can find it I'll post the link) that it will be withdrawn at some point!

Edit:- Found it, post #8 in this link https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/2019-slooow.21082/#post-135704

View attachment 28361
I think you misunderstand. It's not going to disappear from your current install - it just might not be available in some future release/update. I'm sure it will be explained prior to you installing it.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think part of the problem here is everyone wants to jump in head first as soon as an update is available. I've only updated my home PC and haven't updated my work PC yet. I like to let the dust settle before updating my work PC.

I'd recommend implementing random/targeted rollouts in batches. Maybe an ability for the user to force an update.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I like to let the dust settle before updating my work PC.

This is important to us. We don't like the perception of "releases are bad". This release was a bit unique for us in terms of the development - but the post release experience is also a bit unique in that many of the issues heard on the forum were not uncovered during the beta.

We have had an unprecedented amount of post-releases here - trying to be as reactive as possible. About one a week. We never do that - we are really trying to plug some issues - be it known that many people are experiencing no issues - but those that are we take seriously. Further, we are trying to live by the "fix early, fix fast, QA and ship itttttt" rule, whereas previously we were a bit more conservative and might take longer to fix stuff.

A bit of that is on us - I'll own we should have taken more focus towards issues like non-searchable text etc - we can't really do anything about it until the subsequent release of TechSoft. But at some point we had to release - we had been in this exact position of tradeoffs for multiple months- do we ship regardless of the known issues with our partner or do we delay until X more months. We made the decision that we've delayed too long already - let's get it out. That's on me, personally - I feel it was the right decision. If we were to wait, 2019 would ship in Sept, or Oct. We had to make a decision - and the result is most people have a good experience with 2019 but some do not - and for those that do not we are working overtime to fix it.

Irrespective of that I should have taken more ownership of letting people know the limitations of the new, if temporary, state of things. My bad, and I'm sorry.

However, a lot of other issues like "things are blurry" didn't really show up broadly in the beta. This has been a bit of a learning experience for us - one which we won't soon forget.

I really appreciate everyone's patience while we solve this set of issues. 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

NigelL

This release was a bit unique for us in terms of the development - but the post release experience is also a bit unique in that many of the issues heard on the forum were not uncovered during the beta.

I briefly tried out the Beta but had to uninstall it since I could not risk using it on "production" work that may have ended up incompatible with the final release. I think people would have been able to test the Beta version a lot more thoroughly if one could somehow have both versions installed on a PC at the same time. Or quickly switch between versions.

Thanks anyway for the 2019 update - it is a huge improvement in many areas. I'm definitely looking forward to the future updates...

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I think people would have been able to test the Beta version a lot more thoroughly if one could somehow have both versions installed on a PC at the same time. Or quickly switch between versions.
+1, this is how Keyshot operates!

Reactions: MKR

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I want it known I say "I like to let the dust settle before updating my work PC" not because of Alibre's updates but rather it is just good business practice for me in general. Unless you need what is in an update there is no reason to risk business by being an "early adopter". I recommend this practice to everybody on every software. (That is why I hate Windows 10's forced updates but that's a discussion for another day)