What's new

GM Version 16?

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I got the license email first and then the v16 notice too

I saw an financial industry article about 3D systems stating that their most prolific product was "Press releases"... :)
So it's rather surprising to me too that there was no fanfare or anything not even a Forum posting by management about this release.

I could write a lot into that, but you are all thinking the same thing.

I too got a reduction in license count .
So after being warned NOT to call Geomagic Support about licesense issues, I called the number for the now 3rd party company handling such things. The nice young lafdy there said that there had been several such calls regarding reduction of licenses and connected me to.... you guessed it.... Geomagic. It was their general voice mail pick from one of the following phone line (866) 727-4336.

I am increasingly convinced that GM could give a darn about the legacy customers... we are a liability really. They just cant say that out loud. They will continue to erode the desireablilty of this product until we fade away and stop asking all these pesky questions.

-(A normally reserved) Jimpulse

bigseb

Alibre Super User
My 2 cents:

1) If activation is easier i.e. I no longer need to contact support to clear up used license keys and can now just punch in an activation code then yay.

2) I can't honestly see them making licenses no longer perpetual. That will kill them.

I won't upgrade just yet. :wink:

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
OK, I've just gotten off the phone with two very nice and very professional customer service folks at Geomagic.

What appeared to be a reduction in licenses for me was actaully an improvement. We should be able to install GM on multiple machines (as in many) and make one or more of them active via the internet depending on specific license. In my case the (Qty-2) mentioned in the email means that I can actually have TWO machines up and running simultaneously and (for example) could log out of one of those and activate a different machine.

I would actually prefer this to a limited number of installs such as I have now.

rephil

NigelL said:
I also see section 1.13 the definition of "License Term" states that "For licenses granted for Commercial, Educational or Viewing Use, the default term is perpetual."

I did the upgrade, since I've paid for the maintenance this year, and when you go to the "Help > About Geomagic Design > License Key Status" window, you get the new licensing screen. On my license, it says under expiration for Geomagic Design it says "Permanent", and under Support 12/12/2014.

So I wouldn't panic about the perpetual license going away.

As to the folks that mentioned the "Help > Check for Updates" doesn't work, that is true. I get an error message saying the URL isn't correct, so that tells me that they have moved the download repository to the new Geomagic link and killed the old one. Silly to update the software and not bother removing that menu item.

kev h

Anyone brave enough to install it yet !!

I usually cant wait but not sure about this one ?!?!

Cheers Kev 8)

Drutort

Jimpulse said:
OK, I've just gotten off the phone with two very nice and very professional customer service folks at Geomagic.

What appeared to be a reduction in licenses for me was actually an improvement. We should be able to install GM on multiple machines (as in many) and make one or more of them active via the internet depending on specific license. In my case the (Qty-2) mentioned in the email means that I can actually have TWO machines up and running simultaneously and (for example) could log out of one of those and activate a different machine.

I would actually prefer this to a limited number of installs such as I have now.

thats great and all but, when you dont have internet access or its shady, what will you do? the basic or minimal scenario is, work PC, work laptop and home PC

I see a problem with the laptop, if you roam around and for some reason your cell phone reception doesnt work or you have limited access and forgot to swap the 2 current activations I think thats bad.

IMO it should be automatically, and if you have a third one try, should prompt you to kick off one of the others, this way its just a clip IF you have more then 2 running, in which case with te above scenario you might have your work one on, but not the home PC and thus it would be all behind the scenes so to speak

I just got the 2nd email stating for download?

GaretDH

kev h said:
Anyone brave enough to install it yet !!

I usually cant wait but not sure about this one ?!?!

Cheers Kev 8)

I'm not in any hurry personally. The "upgraded" functionality doesn't apply to me really.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
NigelL said:
I also see section 1.13 the definition of "License Term" states that "For licenses granted for Commercial, Educational or Viewing Use, the default term is perpetual."
Thanks Nigel. I read it, but I missed it. I hate reading EULA. There should be a Reddit style summation to separate the boiler plate from the important changes,
for example: tl;dr All your other License keys are being replaced / you get 2 licenses / etc.

I stress out about licensing with this software waaaaay more than I should be have to.

After rereading the EULA a few times, I've decided my stress is coming whether or not my mixed bag of add-ons will continue to be available to me.
I'll worry about that tomorrow. The day is done for me; time to go have a cold one.
Cheers folks!

rephil

Drutort said:
thats great and all but, when you dont have internet access or its shady, what will you do? the basic or minimal scenario is, work PC, work laptop and home PC

I see a problem with the laptop, if you roam around and for some reason your cell phone reception doesnt work or you have limited access and forgot to swap the 2 current activations I think thats bad.

If you read the licensing .PDF, they say that for customers who aren't able to use the "Virtual Dongle," they are willing to make you a USB Dongle. So it seems that the scenario you mention would be answered by having the home and work machines on one license, and a separate USB Dongle for the laptop.

I'm not too impressed with the big picture direction they seem to be taking, but it doesn't seem that they are out to screw anyone who picks up the phone to talk to them.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the questions will get answered over next few days. Some things are already clear, some less so.

This is part of a wider change of licensing systems across the whole Geomagic Software range. Alongside this comes some additional features and a slew of bug fixes.

Alexander

Just installed new release.
Everything seems to work ok, along with the new features.
Custom settings still in place.
Links to add-ons, Dynamics etc.

Still delving but fine up to now

dwc

Alibre Super User
Does that mean I have to be online all the time I use the product, or just to change the license keys?
Online to use or any kind of "cloudy" use is a no-go.
Don

wildwood58

Guess I'll be jumping in with both feet when I get home this afternoon
.....that's what I'm paying for , new releases, updates etc
Kinda looking forward to it

MikeH

Just installed and loaded an organic scan. This was the big test for me and it worked flawlessly. This is what I had been waiting for for some time as far as cross over tech from the other various acquisitions. The Sycode converter I used previously was useless (and paid for unfortunately). Now you can just open a stl and a new menu pops up asking if its organic or a machine part scan. Answer and it loaded super fast. No issues, no slow behavior or weird graphics. Now just convince Mecsoft for simultaneous 5 axis inside Geomagic and we would be good

VisualCAM 2014 was there automatically as well. This was my one concern since I needed it right away...playing with fire :D

BTW it took a few hours but the license code arrived in separate email as promised by the instructional-download website provided in first email.

PS the background changed...

Drutort

dmckee101 said:
NigelL said:
Thanks Nigel. I read it, but I missed it. I hate reading EULA. There should be a Reddit style summation to separate the boiler plate from the important changes,
for example: tl;dr All your other License keys are being replaced / you get 2 licenses / etc.

I stress out about licensing with this software waaaaay more than I should be have to.

After rereading the EULA a few times, I've decided my stress is coming whether or not my mixed bag of add-ons will continue to be available to me.
I'll worry about that tomorrow. The day is done for me; time to go have a cold one.
Cheers folks!

that was a big one, I read the email, oh new license system, then it says it does not work for the other addons? this is going to be a headache either way IMO, they should at least go and update the other software to work with all the addons, yes it takes work yes some of it was done by 3rd party, but can't we just get a uniform streamed licensing system?

from my understanding its saying that only GeoMagic Design, not Dynamics/motion or simulation neither CAM? so all the rest fallow the old licensing system?

MikeH

Also and this is the big also...

If you so choose a USB Dongle, guard with you life and keep on your body at all times or hire a security force to keep an eye on it.

I won't bother you with the story but typically the replacement cost of the dongle is full replacement license cost. Not sure what Geomagic's policy will be but please keep it in mind. Honestly after my bad experience, I very much dislike a manual dongle but I understand and respect the necessity of something to protect their product and its use.

Drutort

rephil said:
Drutort said:

If you read the licensing .PDF, they say that for customers who aren't able to use the "Virtual Dongle," they are willing to make you a USB Dongle. So it seems that the scenario you mention would be answered by having the home and work machines on one license, and a separate USB Dongle for the laptop.

I'm not too impressed with the big picture direction they seem to be taking, but it doesn't seem that they are out to screw anyone who picks up the phone to talk to them.

I personally do not mind usb dongles, a lot of other companies use that, though having 2 active license is nice bonus for us, though if constant internet connection is required that might be a problem for that.

For me its no issue I have my encrypted thumb drive and other dongles with me, so as long as they let me have an option for a dongle that is good, I might need that