What's new

GM Version 16?

manton

One down side, is that files edited in the GM 16 will not load into prior versions. This makes it impossible to revert to the prior release that really had a perpetual license. There does not appear to be a way to save files in the older format.

My understanding of the licensing (as spelled out in the help file) is that it does need to contact the servers at least every 30 days to continue working, so if 3DS disappears without changing the licensing we can no longer use the software. But, the licensing now seems to be handled by a different company, so perhaps they are the ones that need to stick around to allow the "phone home".

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
manton said:
... so if 3DS disappears without changing the licensing we can no longer use the software...
This was the same way Alibre/Geomagic Design worked for all older versions. If you didn't re-up for maintenance then when your maintenance timer ran out you had to have Alibre get you a perpetual key to get it to work. I don't know when the Alibre.com shutdown will occur but everyone not re-upping maintenance or just not updating may want to get their perpetual key now.

manton

The keys I have claim they are perpetual, but it sounds like it still need to check with the online server to validate them, and if it can't it deactivates the software. At least that's the way they explain it.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
manton said:
The keys I have claim they are perpetual, but it sounds like it still need to check with the online server to validate them, and if it can't it deactivates the software. At least that's the way they explain it.
Licenses are still perpetual regardless of maintenance status but do require an active internet connection once every 30 days.

manton

bigseb said:
Licenses are still perpetual regardless of maintenance status but do require an active internet connection once every 30 days.

And, they need something at the other end to talk to. That is what bothers most of us.

I need to be able to support old design files for 20+ years, often after the company that wrote the software is dead and gone. Software that I can't reinstall or use if the company disappears is kind of useless in the long term. I still have old DOS applications that are like this, and with a VM, they are still usable.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
manton said:
My understanding of the licensing (as spelled out in the help file) is that it does need to contact the servers at least every 30 days to continue working, so if 3DS disappears without changing the licensing we can no longer use the software. But, the licensing now seems to be handled by a different company, so perhaps they are the ones that need to stick around to allow the "phone home".
To be honest I don't see 3Ds - or Flexera, for that matter - disappearing anytime soon.

3DS is huge. If they could disappear overnight and leave us hanging then that just as easily happen to Solidworks, SolidEdge, et al...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This is the company handling our licenses: Flexera

They are not small fry. Have a look at their client list... great company to be in in my opinion...

manton

wildwood58 said:
Or in lieu of an active internet connection, a physical dongle to keep it perpetual?

Sure, but they fail, so they are not without their problems either.

I recognize the need of these companies to protect their IP, but they seem to be doing it in a way that makes life more difficult for their paying customers. I suppose we could go find a cracked version if the company disappears... :)

rogpf44

“Or in lieu of an active internet connection, a physical dongle to keep it perpetual? “

For those who are wondering, I was quoted a price of $200 for a physical dongle.

I am one of those who needs to have the system offline and I am struggling as to what I can do at this point. My business has disappeared and I am trying to keep it going, so even $200 is a lot right now.

Larry

bigseb said:
manton said:

3DS seems to be attempting some semantical spin with their subjective definition of "perpetual". To this context, perpetual is where the license key resides on the individual computer - the company, the internet connection could both go away and the program would still function. Presently, all licensed programs on my computer(s) run this way; Win 7, Office, TurboCAD, MathCAD, etc... even have a couple of hardware dongles for some legacy programs (still work fine).

Think I'll hang back on upgrading for a while - think this through.

Larry

Larry

rogpf44 said:
“Or in lieu of an active internet connection, a physical dongle to keep it perpetual? “

For those who are wondering, I was quoted a price of $200 for a physical dongle.

I am one of those who needs to have the system offline and I am struggling as to what I can do at this point. My business has disappeared and I am trying to keep it going, so even $200 is a lot right now.

Would be interested in your contact information with 3DS regarding the physical dongle - this phone home and "dongle in the cloud" stuff doesn't work for me.

Thanks.

Larry

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
This is the company handling our licenses: Flexera

They are not small fry. Have a look at their client list... great company to be in in my opinion...

If I'm reading that right, you are implying that Flexera will be able to handle license issues in the event that 3DS or the GMD subsidiary ceases to exist. If that is the suggestion (and it does seem reasonable to me), I'd still like to see it confirmed publically by both 3DS and Flexera management. I'd also like to specifically see what 3DS's policy is regarding how they are ensuring that licensed uses can continue to use GMD in the event that either 3DS, the Geomagic company, or the Geomagic Design ceases to exist or one or more of those entities ceases development and/or support for Geomagic Design and specifically as it is used for parametric mechanical CAD (as opposed to 3D printing CAD). This last update seems largely oriented toward 3D printing upgrades, which makes me wonder if the mechanical part will gradually wither away altogether or stay stuck at the current feature (and bug) set. I'm also not too pleased to be finding out just now that the company priority for the past year seems to have been almost entirely on 3D printing. A bit of official presence here, as we used to have with Max, might go a long way toward easing those with similar concerns.

In a few months I will need to decide about maintenance again. Each year what used to be a no-brainer comes closer to a coin flip. I'd really like to see some corporate discussion of what sorts of changes are planned for the next upgrade and whether or not that is a few months down the road or another year away.

Mike

rogpf44

Larry,

I originally contacted tech support and they promptly got back to me and stated the $200 price and that if I needed any more information, or wanted to purchase the item, I should contact Geomagic sales.
It has been a while since I have worked a “normal” job, so I have asked around if this was a fair price. All that I have spoken to have stated that this is a very fair price for a physical dongle.

wildwood58

In a few months I will need to decide about maintenance again. Each year what used to be a no-brainer comes closer to a coin flip. I'd really like to see some corporate discussion of what sorts of changes are planned for the next upgrade and whether or not that is a few months down the road or another year away.

I'm in the same boat, I too would like to hear and official statement on this......right now I will stay in a holding pattern on the "update"......and see how this shakes out....my maint. is good until July of this year. It might just become a down payment on SW if I don't feel warm and fuzzy about all this

Andrew Roth

I just renewed my maintenance and I feel I have been totally ripped off.
As I said in my last post, with the exception of the bugs, I can use my current version until I retire (soon I hope)
Since only 1 of 11 bugs I reported over the past 6 years was ever fixed I have found support useless.
I will never (repeat never 1 million times) again update my ALIBRE software.
I have 3 licenses and I expect to keep them. I will never use internet or dongle verification.
Alibre was a great company.
3DS Sucks.
It is a monopoly that could care less about you.
Don't expect anything of it but a request for update money.
I am calling Whoever at support/sales/yourscrewed and requesting a refund for my newly renewed maintenance because they changed there policy after I renewed.
Unless they agree to grandfather me.
Once again, and my opinion, 3DS Sucks.
Your management sucks, your communication with your customers sucks, and what your doing this this wonderful software package sucks.
Plain and simple I hate 3DS and will do everything I can in my company to never use any of your monopolized holdings.
I will be ordering the transfer of 3 molds being held by Quickparts, one of my now ex vendors, due to their purchase by 3DS.
But do they care???
No, Monopoly's never do, just give them money or take a hike.
It's called "GeoMagic".
Just My feelings

dsage

Sorry if this post shows up twice. Seems it got lost when I first posted it.

Sebastian:

Where did you read the statement that the software has to phone home once every 30 days to stay active or "perpetual".
Was it in a help file or something? I haven't seen it and I don't want to start an install of the new software to read it.
Could you cut and paste the text here for us to read?

I don't RENT software so if this program isn't going to run stand alone then I'm sticking where I am and I won't be renewing my maintenance (which btw has been useless so far. I get better answers faster from all of you guys than I ever have from calling 3DS or Alibre).
Any amount of money for a dongle is a money grab. As far as I'm concerned I had an agreement with Alibre / 3DS when I purchased the software that it would keep working at whatever level I was at. I think they are reneging on that agreement. Not nice after I've spent so much money over the years.
It's one of the reasons I purchased it in the first place when all others were on this pay for use approach.

Sage

Andrew Roth

What If I have no internet access when "Phone Home" time comes.
maybe sitting in front of a customer? :shock:
Ummm am I locked out?
What if I'm on a plane going to see a customer no , have to make last minute changes, will I get locked out?
This is a bad Idea by a bad Newly graduated marketing grad.