What's new

Has V23 solved sluggish behavior and small dimensions?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have a lot of respect for you simon but i also have a lot of respect for Alibre. I just think we just need to let them do their thing. A person complaining about as they zoom in and the line goes through the 50 dimension on the part tab when you know it wont print like that on the tech drawing is kinda frivolous to a company trying hard and doing good to come up.
It was showing that the bug raised by a number of people still exists ... which strangely enough was a response to the question from the OP as to whether it had been fixed or not! What issues might be trivial to you, can loose some of us business!

KeithH

It was showing that the bug raised by a number of people still exists ... which strangely enough was a response to the question from the OP as to whether it had been fixed or not! What issues might be trivial to you, can loose some of us business!
"US" ?

KeithH

@simonb65 i understand what your saying. But wasn't the OP's problem sluggishness and small dimensions? he never told his computer specs. So harold showed him the dimension sizes, and i bet im right on the sluggishness.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
But wasn't the OP's problem sluggishness and small dimensions?
Exactly .... 'Small Dimensions' ... so, now go look at my reply! You might be better reading, understanding then posting instead of just posting then thinking later!

Hint : The bug is that no matter what you set, the scaling of the dimensions is show wrong in certain circumstances!

KeithH

Exactly .... 'Small Dimensions' ... so, now go look at my reply! You might be better reading, understanding then posting instead of just posting then thinking later!
obviously you never read mine. Harold showed how to fix the dimensioning. if you get a line well zooming sorry it still says 50

simonb65

Alibre Super User
obviously you never read mine. Harold showed how to fix the dimensioning. if you get a line well zooming sorry it still says 50
You're still not reading the post and understanding the OP's reference! Harold shows you how to SET a dimension font size ... BUT, Alibre doesn't show it at the font size you SET (AKA 'The Bug')! It has nothing to do with the number I showed other than its SIZE! Do ANY on the images I captured and show in my post represent or depict 12pt ??? ..... NO! Now do you get it? If not, please don't bother replying. If you do ... then I accept your apology.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
Also for those of you that have an Nvidia GPU, go to the NVidia website and download their free software. Update the drivers and install the "Studio" drivers when you are doing CAD, Video editing, photography any content creation. You want the Nvidia studio drivers turned on for Cad, because it makes a big difference.

If you are a gamer just open the program and switch the drivers back to gaming driver and vise versa. It takes about a minute to switch once both are updated.

I say this because most people buy gaming desktops or laptops now because, well you couldn't buy a GPU by itself right now anyways. And the game drivers are default.

That may be bad advice. I know Dell does NOT suggest it, and not just for gamers. Apparently the generic drivers do not cover some things that are specific to Dell (or whatever computer), so you may get a "change of strangeness".

In any case, the slowness and lag only appeared in V22, really. Since the mouse interface is not in Alibre, but in the OS, it may be that Alibre is just slow to respond to a available mouse input from the OS. Or, the OS (Win 10) may be laggy. Win 11 is due out and is supposed to have solved some of these issues..

KeithH

That may be bad advice. I know Dell does NOT suggest it, and not just for gamers. Apparently the generic drivers do not cover some things that are specific to Dell (or whatever computer), so you may get a "change of strangeness".

In any case, the slowness and lag only appeared in V22, really. Since the mouse interface is not in Alibre, but in the OS, it may be that Alibre is just slow to respond to a available mouse input from the OS. Or, the OS (Win 10) may be laggy. Win 11 is due out and is supposed to have solved some of these issues..
JST The correct way to update the NVidia GPU drivers from from NVidia. Dell didn’t make the GPU, nvidia did and they improve and update it a few times a month.

also a tell tale sign that you need more RAM is typing and mouse delay from what you see on the screen. If you have a computer that you can improve yourself, maybe try increasing the ram. It’s relatively inexpensive to add Ram. I had 16GB with 4 slot (2 were used at 8GB a piece), but I bought a pair of 2 16GB sticks for a total of 32GB and problem fixed with delayed typing. It was super easy

also dumb question for the OP and others. Make sure your mouse is on the USB receiver that came with it. If your using Bluetooth connection you have to shake the mouse. It’s ok either way, your choice. But I have a Logitech MX whatever the most expense one is and I also have a 3D connection actual three button CAD mouse (I have a space mouse but here I’m talking about the mouse they make that is connected to your pointer they sell)

both of them go to sleep on Bluetooth. You have to shake them to get either Windows or the mice to wake up. I hated it so I just plugged in the usb receive for them and they never go to sleep now. Just something to maybe thinking about.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
JST The correct way to update the NVidia GPU drivers from from NVidia. Dell didn’t make the GPU, nvidia did and they improve and update it a few times a month.

also a tell tale sign that you need more RAM is typing and mouse delay from what you see on the screen. If you have a computer that you can improve yourself, maybe try increasing the ram. It’s relatively inexpensive to add Ram. I had 16GB with 4 slot (2 were used at 8GB a piece), but I bought a pair of 2 16GB sticks for a total of 32GB and problem fixed with delayed typing. It was super easy

That is not what Dell suggests, and does NOT accord with the experience of others, who had direct updates foul up operation due to Dell-specific features.. And it is not only Dell.

As for ram, the existing RAM is not fully used (until Alibre siezes most of it). it seems silly to require more RAM when the existing is not even being used. Allowing the OS to use more would be one solution.

But the slowness is ram-caused, when Alibre grabs so much but does not actually use it. After the slowdown becomes very bad, Alibre simply quits.

Then, when restarted, Alibre works fast again.

JST

Alibre Super User
It's not a ram problem unless other apps are experiencing slowness at the same time.

Not for THOSE applications..... Maybe for Alibre it IS a RAM problem, but that is likely to be due to inefficient use of RAM by Alibre, which we DO have reason to think is a factor.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Not for THOSE applications..... Maybe for Alibre it IS a RAM problem, but that is likely to be due to inefficient use of RAM by Alibre, which we DO have reason to think is a factor.
I meant it's not a problem solved by adding more RAM unless... "other apps are experiencing slowness at the same time."

Having too little RAM means Windows temporarily offloads data to the SSD which is slow (or a HDD which is very slow).

Adding more RAM won't solve any bugs in a program - though it may take longer for a freeze/crash.

JST

Alibre Super User
OK, gotcha, and I agree.

Adding more RAM does "sort-of" solve the problem, since it delays the complete sequestering of RAM by Alibre. If you have enough RAM, you may never see the slowing and crashing, because you don't work long enough, or with big enough files, to allow Alibre to sequester all the available RAM.

I have 16 gig, and it takes a lot longer for it to happen than it did with 8 gig.

KeithH

OK, gotcha, and I agree.

Adding more RAM does "sort-of" solve the problem, since it delays the complete sequestering of RAM by Alibre. If you have enough RAM, you may never see the slowing and crashing, because you don't work long enough, or with big enough files, to allow Alibre to sequester all the available RAM.

I have 16 gig, and it takes a lot longer for it to happen than it did with 8 gig.
You don’t have to understand why. But the fact is that the more parts in an assembly, the more intricate the sketches etc will always require more ram

I don’t care if a car beats me a street racing but I know I need a more powerful to beat him. I do not have to now how or why I lost the race with 100hp vs 275 when I had a heavy car and he had a light one

those are facts. You don’t have to know why. A 1 page document in Microsoft office will use more ram then a 10k document. But that program is child’s play compared to a cad program or video editing program.

Video editors have multiple gpu’s and close to a thousand gb of ram in each computer connected to each other to make the block buster movies we watch in the movie theaters. My dads and architect (yeah his thing he always said is he keeps building from falling down. Well I guess he was right m, based on the news lately) he has a computer and everyone in his office does to that I guarantee you are way more powerful than anyone here.

programs take resources to compute. The more you ask them to do, the more resources they need. Simple. I debunked the one core alibre thing by proving every 3D cad program runs in them including solid works To the “alibre is a ram hog” comment. …. Yep if you don’t like it then try another profession, or just upgrade your computer. Other wise you make simplistic things. But no creative person wants to make simpler, so improve your computer. Build it. No one buys a computer they can’t upgrade with this stuff. Even gaming desktops are made to be upgradeable (not so much gaming laptops) . Cause 3D cad is not like a text editor under the hood. It’s not magic and other than acedemic stuff the most resource hogs are 3D cad, rendering, animation, video editing (I’m sure I’m missing a few) you can’t do any of them on a simple laptop but you can run Microsoft office in them

Edit ps. I say this with the utmost respect. I’m just trying to help people. It is not the program

pps natliqgrav another program won’t slow down unless you also have alibre working with the actual big ol model in question, cause if alibre is closed and the model is not open then no computer resources are being used and your back to just normal stuff (which everyone knows you shouldn’t, at least I hope they know. Like close all browsers and every other program when your working on cad)

Last edited:

KeithH

You don’t have to understand why. But the fact is that the more parts in an assembly, the more intricate the sketches etc will always require more ram

I don’t care if a car beats me a street racing but I know I need a more powerful to beat him. I do not have to now how or why I lost the race with 100hp vs 275 when I had a heavy car and he had a light one

those are facts. You don’t have to know why. A 1 page document in Microsoft office will use more ram then a 10k document. But that program is child’s play compared to a cad program or video editing program.

Video editors have multiple gpu’s and close to a thousand gb of ram in each computer connected to each other to make the block buster movies we watch in the movie theaters. My dads and architect (yeah his thing he always said is he keeps building from falling down. Well I guess he was right m, based on the news lately) he has a computer and everyone in his office does to that I guarantee you are way more powerful than anyone here.

programs take resources to compute. The more you ask them to do, the more resources they need. Simple. I debunked the one core alibre thing by proving every 3D cad program runs in them including solid works To the “alibre is a ram hog” comment. …. Yep if you don’t like it then try another profession, or just upgrade your computer. Other wise you make simplistic things. But no creative person wants to make simpler, so improve your computer. Build it. No one buys a computer they can’t upgrade with this stuff. Even gaming desktops are made to be upgradeable (not so much gaming laptops) . Cause 3D cad is not like a text editor under the hood. It’s not magic and other than acedemic stuff the most resource hogs are 3D cad, rendering, animation, video editing (I’m sure I’m missing a few) you can’t do any of them on a simple laptop but you can run Microsoft office in them

Edit ps. I say this with the utmost respect. I’m just trying to help people. It is not the program

pps natliqgrav another program won’t slow down unless you also have alibre working with the actual big ol model in question, cause if alibre is closed and the model is not open then no computer resources are being used and your back to just normal stuff (which everyone knows you shouldn’t, at least I hope they know. Like close all browsers and every other program when your working on cad)
And one last thing and I’m out. Yep it’s sucks these cad programs. (Everyone including solid works ) only use one core. Do an hour google search. You will find out that every kernel started in the 60,70 50,

Yeah one core back then and there’s about a multi billion dollars of labor building them to what we have now. Those first kernels are open source so have at it you coders. Prove the whole world wrong and make something better. You can’t unless your Jeff bezos or Elon musk and you treat it as you hobby rocket ship. Deal with it

autodesk got their own over a slick slide of a contract and won in court to do their own. But they still built off 30 years prior of people way smarter than the best coder here. Now I’m done think and google

KeithH

And one last thing and I’m out. Yep it’s sucks these cad programs. (Everyone including solid works ) only use one core. Do an hour google search. You will find out that every kernel started in the 60,70 50,

Yeah one core back then and there’s about a multi billion dollars of labor building them to what we have now. Those first kernels are open source so have at it you coders. Prove the whole world wrong and make something better. You can’t unless your Jeff bezos or Elon musk and you treat it as you hobby rocket ship. Deal with it

autodesk got their own over a slick slide of a contract and won in court to do their own. But they still built off 30 years prior of people way smarter than the best coder here. Now I’m done think and google
Now I’m done. Point being there is not one cad program in existence worth a salt that does not license a kernel which is the brain of what your using. Prove me wrong. (I don’t hide the fact that I may be harsh but I’m usually right so there’s that) yep I’m a d*** but usually right

JST

Alibre Super User

You have a fundamental misunderstanding here. And are going off on a VERY wrong tangent (doing so in a condescending way, as well......"you don't need to understand").

What I am talking about is very very different from what you assume.

Editing a model..... with each edit/save, the program gets slower and slower and slower. Finally I save, close and restart Alibre, and RE-OPEN THE VERY SAME MODEL

Now the program is just as fast as it ever was. WITH THE VERY SAME MODEL THAT WAS STUPIDLY SLOW A FEW SECONDS EARLIER.

What is different? Closing and re-opening Alibre has released memory that it had seized and failed to release. The program did not NEED that memory, as evidenced by the fact that it is fast when re-started, and resource manager shows far less memory "in use".

Alibre has a "memory leak" problem. it fails to properly release memory, and continues to reserve more and more until it runs out of memory to seize. it is clearly not actually using that memory, but it will not release it.

So you see, despite your rather condescending "explanation", the issue actually has nothing, absolutely ZERO to do with what you are talking about.

KeithH

You have a fundamental misunderstanding here. And are going off on a VERY wrong tangent (doing so in a condescending way, as well......"you don't need to understand").

What I am talking about is very very different from what you assume.

Editing a model..... with each edit/save, the program gets slower and slower and slower. Finally I save, close and restart Alibre, and RE-OPEN THE VERY SAME MODEL

Now the program is just as fast as it ever was. WITH THE VERY SAME MODEL THAT WAS STUPIDLY SLOW A FEW SECONDS EARLIER.

What is different? Closing and re-opening Alibre has released memory that it had seized and failed to release. The program did not NEED that memory, as evidenced by the fact that it is fast when re-started, and resource manager shows far less memory "in use".

Alibre has a "memory leak" problem. it fails to properly release memory, and continues to reserve more and more until it runs out of memory to seize. it is clearly not actually using that memory, but it will not release it.

So you see, despite your rather condescending "explanation", the issue actually has nothing, absolutely ZERO to do with what you are talking about.
You are way over thinking things. Are you a plant for another cad program????? Been wondering that for a while