What's new

Heeeelp ! New user - Sketch versus 3D auto view change not happening

viper10l

Hello,
I am a new user of Atom3D V27 and I don't have any real CAD experience.
I am trying to follow along Alibre's Atom3D Tutorial "Making Our First Part" on Youtube which simply consists of sketching a circle and extruding it into a cylider.

Here are the issues I am facing:

- Right off the bat, in the video, when entering into "Activate 2D sketch" mode, a grid appears and the view flattens itself out in order to sketch on it.
but in my case the grid appears but the view doesn't flatten itself out (this is clearly happening automatically in the video)... I have to make it flat by using the small cubes at the top lefthand side of the screen.
1704861629273.png
- I then draw the circle and enter the "Model" tab. After having selected the circle I click extrude and the circle turns yellow. I enter the dimension and click "ok", aftger which the circle turns blue. But the view doesn't revert to 3D like in the video, it just stays flat like in sketch mode. So now I just have a blue circle but if I orbit it with the big view cube (Top righthand) the view becomes 3D and I can see that the extrusion happened just fine.
So, say I want to sketch another circle on the flat end of the cylinder, I select it, it turns blue, I go into "Activate 2D sketch" mode, the grid appears along with the sketching tools but the view remains 3d.
Again, it doesn't flatten out automatically like it should.

1704862757481.png
So I try the best I can to orient it like in the video but this should be happening automatically and it's not.

Is something amiss in my settings ?

I'm really wish this would work for me and I would really appreciate someone's help on this.

Thanks a million !

Stu3d

I prefer to have snap to working plane turned off in settings as I get a better visualisation of what's going on if I am in a 3d view even when sketching on a plane or face.
On the odd occasion I want to sketch in that view I select Reset View located to the right of Deactivate Sketch.

To change the view of the model I find it easier to hold down left and right mouse buttons and move mouse than use preset views or cube.

JASII

Hello,
I am a new user of Atom3D V27 and I don't have any real CAD experience.
I am trying to follow along Alibre's Atom3D Tutorial "Making Our First Part"......
Your approach to learning is sound. I was in your boat back in the '80's, using native PostScript to draw CAD-like graphics for use in Desktop Publishing apps. I learned the hard way that one should follow whatever tutorials/guides that are provided rather than just wing-it and see what it does. That usually leads to frustration and, eventually, abandonment of the app.

After that..... you can then explore. Personally I then got through all of the settings/properties, menu options and tool bar functions, right and left clicking, to see what I've got and what everything does. Then you can decide what works best for you in terms of settings and properties which can, and will, change on an individual design basis.

IMHO, compared to the dozen or so CAD programs I have used over the decades, Alibre Atom3D offers a very clean, simplistic, interface on the surface with an incredible amount of function and flexibility under the covers. Perfect for learning CAD, while later producing complex designs.
I prefer to have snap to working plane turned off in settings as I get a better visualisation of what's going on
I, too, turned this off as I sketch exclusively for 3D printed objects and have some complex internal structures at times. Having the screen rotate/flip after establishing a sketching plane is confusing, if not bothersome at best, in my designs.