What's new

Helix around conical extrusion?

Hi,

I am trying to place a Helical feature around a conical extrusion that the outside off the helix stays the same o.d. but the inside is at a 4.3deg draft angle and is merged with the conical solid, how do you do this? The part winds up looking like a feed auger. The helix would go around the attached file. I would appreciate any help the members could provide.

Donnie

Attachments

• feedscrewcone1.AD_PRT
    229.5 KB · Views: 25

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you just want to model it, try this example. Just play with the sketch and the helix details to get what you want. It doens't matter that the helical geometry overlaps the cone.

If you want to be abe to flatten the flights to make a pattern it would take rather more work.

Attachments

• feedscrewcone1[1].AD_PRT
    469 KB · Views: 39

ynnek

Nice work David. I too am looking at doing something similar. As of now I do my modeling in TurboCADv18, & have used TC since v3, & I am a beta tester. I needed to do some 3D CAM so my company bought me Alibre Design Professional & CAM Professional. I have to learn to model in Alibre, so I dont have to use 2 applications to get my work done & saved. Plus there can sometimes be issues with model translation. With all of that said, I look foward to using Alibre & this forum. I hope this forum is as helpful as the TurboCAD user forum. I modeled this variable pitched feed screw in TurboCAD, imported into Alibre to machine on my CNC router 4th axis ( whice is not finished yet.)

Attachments

• Line4_FeedScrew_for_Small_Puck.jpg
    Line4_FeedScrew_for_Small_Puck.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 326

bigseb

Alibre Super User
ynnek said:
Nice work David. I too am looking at doing something similar. As of now I do my modeling in TurboCADv18, & have used TC since v3, & I am a beta tester. I needed to do some 3D CAM so my company bought me Alibre Design Professional & CAM Professional. I have to learn to model in Alibre, so I dont have to use 2 applications to get my work done & saved. Plus there can sometimes be issues with model translation. With all of that said, I look foward to using Alibre & this forum. I hope this forum is as helpful as the TurboCAD user forum. I modeled this variable pitched feed screw in TurboCAD, imported into Alibre to machine on my CNC router 4th axis ( whice is not finished yet.)

Hi ynnek, great to see you here on the forum! 8)

Hi DavidJ,
I don't seem to be able to open the file that you uploaded and sorry about responding so late, have been down with the Flu bug. When you say flatten the flights would that be the sides of the screw? The feature that I need to put around the conical feature is rectangular, about 2" H and 1.162" W. I also need to be able to have a .375 radius at the intersection of the helix and the cone, would this be possible if I just overlap the geometry? Thanks for the reply and the help.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You may be running an older version/build of Alibre than I am (v2012, build 14047).

The feature I used as the profile of my helix was a rectangle - easy to edit the dimensions as required.

You should be able to put a fillet on the edge where the flights intersect the cone (may be a bit slow to process, combination of helical geometry and fillet).

Thanks DavidJ,
I am using 12.1 so that is probably it, gathered enough by you explaining that the geometry could overlap that I came up with this which gets me really close to what I wanted.

Attachments

• feedscrewcone1.AD_PRT
    537 KB · Views: 21