What's new

Hole call out and pockets

Hi all,

I've just drafted up a job I've done with some holes in and machined pockets on the same face. In the history my counterbored hole was done first, I then did a pocket, so taking depth away from the counterbore.

I then did the drawing. Granted this may be a little back to front but that's what I did, and if you consider a mod to a tool this is what could happen.
I used the hole call out function on the drawing and it seemed to take the information from the hole dialog box in the model, and so before the pocket. So the call out wasn't correct.
Has anyone else seen this?

Yes yes, I could go back and move the hole in the tree and rearrange it all so the hole is put in after the pocket. I ended up dimensioning it all slightly different but just putting it out there incase it catches anyone else out?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
To have the hole tool automatically output the correct info you would probably have to do the hole with counterbore at once using the hole tool.

Sorry, the hole was a counterbore and the hole tool called it out ok. It's just if you then do a pocket on the face where the counterbore is, redo the hole call out it doesn't take into account the material removed by the pocket. Still calls out the original values on the hole.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Remember that Alibre is history based CAD so in the case of the Hole tool it will generate the callout based on the when it was created. In your case it was created before the pocket. If you want the callout to be correct then create the pocket first then apply the Hole tool on the bottom of the pocket to create the hole and detail the drawing accordingly.

Hi, yes that's what I was saying, and did say, you would need to do it the other way round. But if you are unaware of that then it could catch you out.
I personally would've thought it would work both ways

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I could go back and move the hole in the tree and rearrange it all so the hole is put in after the pocket.

Here's what I understood you to mean:

You created the hole then the pocket.
hole and pocket 1.jpg

You then moved the Hole in the tree.

hole and pocket 2.jpg

That's why I suggested to recreate the hole using the bottom of the pocket as the start surface.
If this is what you did then I just misread or misunderstood what you said you did.

hole and pocket 3.jpg

albie0803

Alibre Super User
This is where written procedure is important. Will you drill the counterbored hole first and then machine the pocket or the other way around? If you model it in the order you intend it to be done and document it for the machine shop then it shouldn't be an issue.

If the hole is done first, then the depth is correct. If the pocket is done first, the hole should be situated on the floor of the pocket, not on the outer face.

Let's say you have the hole in, then it needs modifying with a pocket down the line. Are you telling me you would take the hole out, put the pocket in, then put the hole in again on the pocket face?
Or would you just put the pocket in after the hole in the model history, check the depth, and maybe adjust the counterbore depth so it works with what you need?

What I'm getting at is the hole call out must read the hole information from the model, not necessarily do some mad measuring thing in the background (I don't know I'm not a programmer)
Honestly, it tripped me up hence why I figured I'd mention it, I'm only trying to help in case someone else comes across it. I didn't know that is how the hole call out worked, I'm not sure why it would be documented anywhere that this is how the hole call out works.

If your history of a part is a mile long, and you have various other features modelled into that hole you need to move to the bottom of a pocket face I certainly wouldn't be taking it out and messing around with it.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
The hole detail comes from the information you enter in the hole dialog screen, so you need to be careful with what plane/face you place the hole on. The machine operator needs to have clear instruction as to which face the reference is from.
Unless I was given a drawing that showed stages of production, ie. drill and counterbore a hole before milling the pocket, I would assume that the depth given for the counterbore in the callout would be the depth from the bottom of the pocket.

So to answer your question, if the pocket was put in after, I would move the pocket in the tree to above the hole and then edit the hole and change the plane/face to the bottom of the pocket and adjust the counterbore depth appropriately. That way the callout agrees with any side view measurements created.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
For a modification, I would provide before and after views for the machinist, concentrating on the work to be done. If the hole callout isn't directly relevant to what the machinist has to do for the modification, I'd most likely remove it from the 'after' view.