• Larger releases every 5-8 months.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I don't like releases, and also dislike apple pie and puppies

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hey folks, this is just a quick poll to ask you how you would want releases if you could choose. Our plans for H1 are pretty solidified for 2018. However, as we get a little further out maybe we can steer towards your preference.

Basic question is: would you prefer smaller, more frequent releases or larger, more spread out releases? Please add your reasoning in addition to voting. To reiterate, this is for maybe H2 and later of 2018, if our technical evaluation allows us to have significant choice in the matter. :D

Dave H

You never know if that next small release will be the one that has the fix you've been hankerin' for for years!

lamar

I would vote for smaller releases just simply because you will have less variables to work with, less unforeseen bugs or hiccups that did not get picked up in testing. And also it would give customers a feeling of activity from the Alibre teem.

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, smaller releases, and more "visible development activity" I think will do you more good right now.

We went so long with zero to show for it, your best way to show the change in management is to "keep it bubbling".

I have nothing against big releases, but there should be some smaller ones in between.

Mika

Almost all the other softwares have been already released 2018 versions, where is yours? Any little teaser somewhere what might be coming?

Alexander

Smaller for me.
The new system for updating is so smooth and hassle free.
Most other CAD vendors you always have to re-setup custom settings, file paths etc, which prevents me from even updating.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Smaller more frequent releases (monthly would be nice) for bug fixes, stability improvements, minor enhancements. As @lamar points out, these small incremental changes may be easier for Alibre to test/validate and if something breaks during that release it won't be such a pain to roll back a month and wait for it to be fixed again.
Annual 'major' or quarterly 'minor releases' that contain new functionality would also be nice to see, so users feel they get some real value for the annual maintenance outlay and not just 'extended beta' testers for existing bug fixes, problems, etc.

Max -- (A) Smaller releases tend to have fewer "unanticipated consequences" and (B) keep appetites "whetted." But, (A) have less opportunities to deal with (shall we say) "larger integration issues" and (B) more "basic changes" that (often) have a broader impact.

One potentially easy to implement "improvement" I suggest (not being the on e required to implement it) would be the addition of a "Feature Annotation Note" entity that could be "attached" to any Feature within the Design Explorer. It could be as simple as an ASCII text file though it should probably allow Unicode characters to be robust.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Smaller bites are a lot easier to swallow. And the *overwhelm* factor is generally not there as it sometimes is with large updates.
Hmmm... W7 to W10 comes to mind.

$0.02

auburncad

Small releases for most of the reasons already given. Feeling that you are active in the development will be good for everyone and good for business too. I left Alibre for Fusion360 during the "evil time" and then came back to Alibre. I love Alibre, but I do think the Fusion people are doing a good job with updates and keeping their customers in the loop on the forum. I'd like to see something similar to their update process and forum. I think you guys are headed in the right direction and I support you.

GDBranch

Small and frequent makes it easier to master new /different functions. Also hearing from you on a regular basis has been outstanding. This is the Alibre I originally signed up for. Good job Max:)

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
My feelings are bug fixes would be frequent with MAJOR upgrades once a year would be best. This would help to fix any bugs that the MAJOR upgrades might have.

That's my $0.02 on this subject.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I'd prefer smaller releases, especially if that made it easier to quash some long standing bugs or "issues".

domcm

Max,

Any plans to let folks on active maintenance participate in beta testing like was done in the past? Some of the issues in the latest release (like incorrect text scaling in drawing balloons and section view callouts) could have been identified fairly quickly prior to release. A lack of good besta testing would be my biggest concern with more smaller releases.

Uman

I vote small bite updates and would like to add how please I am to be part of this.
Just updated my maint yesterday.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Agh...what reasons are left? Yes to all the above.

but mainly this one

"You never know if that next small release will be the one that has the fix you've been hankerin' for for years!"