Votes: 59 90.8%
  • Larger releases every 5-8 months.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I don't like releases, and also dislike apple pie and puppies

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Interesting point... that about rather having long intervals between releases so as not to disrupt an otherwise functioning software. And delivering something that is tested and works.

I disagree.

If I want a bug-fix then I want it now. Not eight months down the line when other fixes are available too. Why wait when that specific fix could be the one that makes my life easier?

Alibre, do the right thing and make every improvement available as soon as its ready. Tell me what that latest release offers and if I want to do the update I do it. If that isn't the fix I want then I hold off and see how other users fare.

heidtwd

Alibre, do the right thing and make every improvement available as soon as its ready. Tell me what that latest release offers and if I want to do the update I do it. If that isn't the fix I want then I hold off and see how other users fare.
+1 for this important concept!

jfnewman

I was using Onshape for a while Alibre had gone dark for a few years and I got use to an like the monthly updates and bug fixes.

swertel

Alibre Super User
I was using Onshape for a while Alibre had gone dark for a few years and I got use to an like the monthly updates and bug fixes.
I liked the regularly scheduled releases, too.

My preference is still to have a fixed release date. In Alibre's case per Max's statement, every 2 or 3 months (pick one and stick with it) on the 12th of each month, for example. As a CAD administrator, I don't like having updates on the 1st of the month, then the 16th, then the 8th, then the end of the month.

Even if updates get pushed down automatically and I don't have to uninstall an older version or run an .msi or .exe for the update, I still need to know
  • when the update is coming,
  • what has changed - so I know what needs to be tested on my datasets, and
  • whether or not I want to accept the update or wait.
It's rare to alter business-critical software during a big project, even bug fixes unless they apply directly to a problem I'm having.
For that, I need consistent release periods.

jfnewman

I understand and Onshape is a different breast because of the cloud they can update and not affect work in progress as the non cloud base systems will.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I understand and Onshape is a different breast because of the cloud they can update and not affect work in progress as the non cloud base systems will.
Sorry, but I think that is a very dangerous illusion you are living with there.
It makes no difference if the program is cloud based or local, if the program is changed and the new version doesn't behave as the old one did for your files, you are screwed.
Does anyone really think that Onshape tests all their client files to see if they all work correctly (and how would they know) before they release a update? It may be that they are very good in testing, better than everyone else let's say. The problem still doesn't go away, the risk may be smaller, but it is still there.
The company I work for is still running Win7 because the newer versions are "not reliable". The CATIA versions used are several years old and only changed at the beginning of new projects. There is just too much manpower and cost in an project to risk a program update that can possibly force one to start over. The risk may be low, but it has happened.
If you are into the thrill of testing once a month to see if your files work with the next version, go to it.
I welcome the fact that AD now seems to be planning to have updates more often. But I keep old versions of the program and my files. If things go haywire I can recover.
An Onshape type system where one has no way of recovering to an older version to keep ones work and livelyhood running is IMHO only for the independently wealthy who do not depend on it. And why the independently wealthy would own a CAD program is beyond me.
Don

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It makes no difference if the program is cloud based or local, if the program is changed and the new version doesn't behave as the old one did for your files, you are screwed.
I agree with @dwc 100% on the web based products. Yes its great that you see new features and updates regularly, but just look at your phone (Android or iPhone) and MS Windows, they roll out updates at will, but how many times has it broken something? and how many times do you get to roll back to a good working version? .... and for what benefit?

In my line of work, when I release something, I have to be able to have a full audit trail to that release. That means I need to be able to re-generate the same production files/data from the original source material or design files using the same version of application.
I've worked in large corporations where an application or upgrade takes months to qualify. So to find they are 3 or 4 versions behind is not uncommon. So, how does that work in an online world? ... to put it simply ... It doesn't.

The business model, to rely on online applications, is extremely risky for many reasons :

1) Your downtime and lost revenue when you just can't get online,
2) Blind unpredictability of how the application actually functions between releases,
3) Not being able to rollback to a known working version in the event of a problem,
4) Your reliance on a service being available by a company who may or may not be there in 2 or 3 years from now,
5) Quality and verification of the data you provide using that tool to your customer/manufacturer from release to release!
6) Many customers do not like or allow their data being stored on cloud services.

Many of my clients insist the data is on my own private server (or theirs), behind a firewall, backed up daily to another server and encrypted. Mention cloud to them and they would run a mile.

OnShape, in my opinion, is best left to the one-man-band type operation who doesn't depend on it for their livelyhood (i.e. casual CAD/hobbyist/student/own workshop) ... if they do, or this is being used by larger businesses, then they need to take a little time to seriously re-think their business model and let me know how you convince your customers that your good to do business with!

Sorry, a bit off topic guys, but reinforces the benefit of Alibre installable application, Alibre release schedule and the ability to roll back if necessary ... WHEN IT'S RIGHT FOR YOUR BUSINESS.

Last edited:

jfnewman

I don't disagree with the scenarios that you guys have brought up being in the industry since the early 80s I completely understand but all I was commenting on is my use of Onshape during the updates/bug fixes pushed those updates were seamless you would not even know updates were made if you didn't noticed a new icon in my case no assemblies exploding, no parts, sketches no longer working as once did before the updates. I'm not saying that is a process that should be adopted by all just commenting on my experience was not an endorsement for Alibre.

JST

Alibre Super User
And, SOMEONE needs to go through the old user manual....... in many cases the screens are no longer in the form shown, the function or data entry is somewhat different, and the help is NOT "help" anymore.

PLEASE update the manual AND the help when the program gets a change.

If you have the functional description of the new feature etc, which should be in the change order, that should be relatively easily edited into a form suitable for the help and manual. All the information should be there.