What's new

How to Project a 2D Sketch onto a Curved Surface

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hello Sebastian,

maybe the next bottle will have this feature...
This one is only for uncompressed air, which explaines the missing thread for the cap as well:)
Maybe we can copy the thread from your preform (have you made a the bottle tool for the stretch blow molding machine also?)

Cheers
Stefan
Next up is the mould for the actual preform. Still waiting on hotrunner details and constantly sidetracked by smaller rush projects :(

Maybe a blow mould after that. Out of my hands. Btw you need the preform model?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Don,
Not sure how that happened. Try this.
no problem for me.
Tried it - and patched it a little bit and came to the result that it would be better to start from scratch.
You should have constrained sketches, the first two sketches are easier (and give a better result) if they are 2d instead of 3d.
If the 3D sketch for your groove is a little bit longer, you don't need the extruded cut to get rid of the unwanted faces...
I don't know when i can find some time for this...may you should start it again by yourself in the meantime.
I won't send the botched file because nobody should learn bad techniques;) so only a picture
upload_2019-9-13_0-36-3.png

Regards
Stefan

DBC

Hello Don,

no problem for me.
Tried it - and patched it a little bit and came to the result that it would be better to start from scratch.
You should have constrained sketches, the first two sketches are easier (and give a better result) if they are 2d instead of 3d.
If the 3D sketch for your groove is a little bit longer, you don't need the extruded cut to get rid of the unwanted faces...
I don't know when i can find some time for this...may you should start it again by yourself in the meantime.
I won't send the botched file because nobody should learn bad techniques;) so only a picture
View attachment 28659

Regards
Stefan

I am trying again, but finding that I cannot find a way to edit the spline or spline by control points after the fact. Can't seem to use dimensions for precise placement. Any pointers on how to do that?

DBC

How do you extend a 3D sketch line so that the addition lines up with the original. Thought maybe a tangent constraint, or tangent continuous might work but it does not seem so. I must be missing something basic.

Attachments

• Screen-0010.jpg
    Screen-0010.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 10

DBC

Well, I've tried again and still can't get it to fillet. I guess I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I am getting pretty tired of trying so will probably just move on to a different project.

Attachments

• Screen-0011.jpg
    Screen-0011.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 11

DBC

I was able to do this in SolidWorks without any change is the way it was designed and with no issues at all. SW-AD-Keyshot result is attached.

I also tried it in MoI and it failed on the lower edge of the groove.
I have made it before in TurboCAD with no issues.

Attachments

• Screen-0013.jpg
    Screen-0013.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 14

jhiker

Alibre Super User
May I ask a question? How is 3Dsketch(3) constrained to follow the lofted surface of the bottle for the extrude cut?
Sweep_cut.png
3Dsketch(3).png

DBC

Well, I finished the bottle. It ended up needing to be a collaboration of programs....

Base model modeled and split into 3 sections in SolidWorks
Assembled in Alibre along with cap.
Label made in PhotoShop.
Rendered in KeyShot via Alibre.

Now I can move on to a new project..... :)

EDIT: Fixed typo

Attachments

• Bottle with Groove, Label SW-AD-KeyShot DBC_1200.png
    Bottle with Groove, Label SW-AD-KeyShot DBC_1200.png
    839.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: