What's new

How to remove spacing after prefix in 2D drawing dimensions?

thomasqm

As far as I know, Alibre can’t dimension threads like the picture below (I can’t post links or pictures for some reason) so instead I create linear dimensions and add “M” as a prefix to indicate it’s a metric thread. However, there is a space between the prefix and the value. Also, when indicating the diameter or radius of a spherical feature, there should be an S before the diameter symbol or the R of radii. Again, adding it as a prefix leads to having a space. Is there a way to get rid of it?

https: / / slideplayer.fr / slide / 2590892 / 9 / images / 40 / Cotation+des+filetages.jpg (remove the spaces around slashes)

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Check the box to "Override dimension value" and you can type anything in as the value:1666472315452.png

It can also be done on the dimension In Place Editor:
1666472578166.png

thomasqm

Your solution works but of course it breaks the link between the value and the geometry as evandene wrote. Is it the only way?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There is an option to show the units of the dimension. AND the dimensions stay associated to the part geometry - no need to override the dimension value.

dim units display.jpg

simonb65

Alibre Super User
https: / / slideplayer.fr / slide / 2590892 / 9 / images / 40 / Cotation+des+filetages.jpg (remove the spaces around slashes)
@thomasqm , welcome to the forum ... as a side note, it's easier to just copy and paste the image into the topic text or use the hyperlink tag than posting a text link with spaces in! Also makes it much easier for people to see your issue without trawling across the web to find resources.

i.e.
1666562826294.png

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Well the right way would be to make it a threaded hole feature in the model and use a hole callout with all the information like the thread size, thread pitch, threaded depth, and hole depth. Or in the case of the threaded shaft an external thread feature in the model with a thread callout in the drawing with all the information like the thread size, thread pitch, threaded length.

But that's not what was asked. The only way to get rid of the space is override the dimension text. I'm not a fan of it either but you would need to ask Alibre to remove the spaces from in their code.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

The user can decide which style any drawing has as the 'default'.

For your own template, add a new style with required formats and set it as the default (so it is default style for any future derived drawings) - then delete the original Default style because the name is confusing. Add other often used styles as required (probably copied and edited from your new default style).

I suspect though that you were perhaps asking for some 'lower level' ability to change things in the detailed formatting.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I suspect though that you were perhaps asking for some 'lower level' ability to change things in the detailed formatting.
Yes, at present you can change the default units, leading zeroes, dual dimensions, etc. but you can't define the 'overall' detailed format/layout of that information at the 'default' style level. As you can when you override the individual dimensions. If the default styles had the same editable parameters as the override, you could completely 'redefine' the default, i.e. remove the space as per the OP at the 'default' base level then the user could really customise their 'global' dimensions in the way the OP is after.

Just a suggestion that maybe a more flexible long term solution than a workaround that has it's disassociation side effects pointed out in an earlier post.

Maybe a candidate for an enhancement?!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - not sure I follow, what is it that you can't change at default level that you can with override?

There isn't an option anywhere currently to remove that space between prefix and value.

We may be talking at cross purposes, or I may be particularly dim today - can you be more specific? Feel free to drop me a message if preferred.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Aside from all the suggestions given so far, the question I have is "Are all the dimensions on the drawing metric or only some of them?" If all the dimensions are metric then just add a note to the drawing stating that fact. IF you have mixed units on the drawing and only a few are metric then create a style and turn on the option to indicate units for that style.

Having the general note saves you from having to label every dimension as metric and having a style allows you to indicate individual dimensions as needed.

thomasqm

@thomasqm , welcome to the forum ... as a side note, it's easier to just copy and paste the image into the topic text or use the hyperlink tag than posting a text link with spaces in! Also makes it much easier for people to see your issue without trawling across the web to find resources.

I did try this but then I get an error. I can’t post messages containing pictures or links. Maybe it’s only possible when you have posted a certain amount of messages?

@HaroldL Indeed this isn’t what I’m looking for.

@simonb65 Yes, the ability to fully define the dimension style would be very useful. For example in Solidworks there is a textbox in which you can access special commands to build the text with the dimension value, for example S<dia><> for spherical diameters or M<> for threads (the dimension value is <>). Sadly, Alibre doesn’t allow this at the moment.

Here is a screenshot. Maybe it will work. (Edit: yes it did, finally.)

1666643662589.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here's my take on this issue. Referring to ASME dimensioning standards I would have no issue with how they look on the image. It may be that you have a different standard that you are following or is it personal preference?

The callouts that you have indicated as "Automatic callouts" are standard callouts for metric threads. If you want the 6 mm diameter to appear as M6 then it would be double dimensioning since the M6X1-6g thread callout is already indicating the diameter. At best it would be a reference dimension.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Thomas, which standard are you trying to follow (and which clause)? If Alibre doesn't properly support a recognised standard, then there is a stronger reason to prioritise this.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In side views (and sections) it is possible to add callout for External Threads, but not for Holes.

Not quite sure what the reason is for not allowing insertion of Hole callouts in side/section views...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Thomas - is this what you are looking for (all done with existing functionality)?

Dims.jpg

Attachments

• Dims demo.AD_PKG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
To do that I changed the Ø symbol to M for that individual dimension and added S in front of the R for radius. All done on the Text section of the dimension properties.

Unfortunately, no such option for holes when viewed from side or section.

Last edited:

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Simon - not sure I follow, what is it that you can't change at default level that you can with override?

There isn't an option anywhere currently to remove that space between prefix and value.

We may be talking at cross purposes, or I may be particularly dim today - can you be more specific? Feel free to drop me a message if preferred.

I think Simon may be talking about some of the settings within the Dimension Properties, which cannot be linked to the Dimension Style. See Link Below... I frequently change the setting shown to Suppress Dimension Line 2 on my Diametrical Values. This would be nice if it could be it's own Dimension Style, but currently, it cannot.

Also, I'd love to see some sort of "Properties Painter" so that if one dimension is changed, it can easily be copy/pasted to other dimensions on the sheet.

Attachments

• Annotation 2022-10-25 083207.png
    Annotation 2022-10-25 083207.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 12

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,

You can multi-select dimensions and then adjust properties for all (needs more forethought though).