What's new

How to use Fastener Constraint in Assembly

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Not sure why you would want to use another device (i.e. phone).

View attachment 36349

Want has nothing to do with it. The boss decides where I'm at, with no regard whatsoever for my internet connectivity, or comfort. I'm as likely to be in a hotel in Yuma, AZ I am a truck in the North Cascades Mountains in WA state on any given month.

But, I wasn't posting this for myself. Oh, and wifi hotspots works, but the it seems to slow the already slow connection down alot. Like, old 56k modem speeds.

The phone loads pages much faster itself than the laptop via the phones WiFi hotspot.

I wasn't the one needing help though. It's not for me. I've found a system that's been working for me.

I was just pointing out some of the possible reasons we see so many questions on the forum that are covered in the help section.

For many younger people, it's YouTube first, then asking on a forum 2nd, with electronic or paper manuals being a distant last. Not sure why, but it seems to be the way Gen Z and mellenials think. I spent three years teaching mellenials and gen Z, so went through a good deal of Kentucky bourbon and acquired some grey hair. Not necessary right or wrong (ok, maybe a little wrong), but it is just how it is.

It seems that these days YouTube is the first place most people go when looking for a how-to on something. Especially the younger generations. Those of our generation (I'm 46, so genX ish) may not think that way, we grew up with manuals, made of real paper. But that's where the future is going.

These days few would argue against Fusion360 being the most popular and commonly used CAD software amongst hobbyists, with FreeCad being a somewhat close second.

Fusions popularity is at least in part, due to it's accommodating the learning preferences of younger people. Lots of videos, tutorials and online video lessons. Their YouTube guy Lars Christensen is pretty popular, his videos are all over the internet forums.

If you browse through some of the many Fusion 360 threads in subforums on other sites, like Hobby Machinist or CNC Zone, you notice pretty quick that the vast majority of help posts and replies, tutorials and how-to info is in the form of YouTube videos.

Very rarely in a thread on one of those sites do I recall anyone linking to a manual or help database. Hobby users seem to hit YouTube first, pretty much always.

That video David linked above, and others like it would do well to find their way onto Alibre's YouTube channel with a good clear title that comes up in a search for "fastener constraint".

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Ok. I found it in a sub menu, but greyed out :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626-140041.png
    Screenshot_20220626-140041.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 7

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Strange, it's not greyed out on my phone ...

1656281680389.png

EDIT : Well that screen capture came out BIGGER than I expected!

Ken226

Alibre Super User
That huge screen capture just got me good. It was big enough that the bottom of it was hidden, and the portion visible on my screen looked exactly like the normal forum display. :D

I spent about two minutes tapping in the "Write your reply" field inside your pic, and rebooted my phone when I thought it was seized up.

But, yea, everything in that toolbar is greyed out. I have no idea why. I'm using a Motorola G-Power with Android 11.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I checked using the wife's phone, a Motorola G7 also with android 11, and hers aren't greyed out.

That's weird.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
That huge screen capture just got me good. It was big enough that the bottom of it was hidden, and the portion visible on my screen looked exactly like the normal forum display. :D

I spent about two minutes tapping in the "Write your reply" field inside your pic, and rebooted my phone when I thought it was seized up.
:D ... it looked ok on my phone, on a PC it's MASSIVE ! That's from a Samsung A52 5G with it's native 2,400 x 1,080 screen resolution. Note to self : Must remember to downsize in future to avoid startling and confusing people :D.

Mine using Samsung's (Android) stock browser, so it may be a browser thing.

4ctech VN

:D ... it looked ok on my phone, on a PC it's MASSIVE ! That's from a Samsung A52 5G with it's native 2,400 x 1,080 screen resolution. Note to self : Must remember to downsize in future to avoid startling and confusing people :D.

Mine using Samsung's (Android) stock browser, so it may be a browser thing.
Thank you for your help, I already use it