What's new

I REALLY Hate this!

lugton

I have had the same issue for years - it seems to be different/random depending o output. Sometimes displayed but not printed. Sometimes not displayed but printed. Sometimes shows on printed output but not PDF. Sometimes it just disappears. Odd. Hard to predict.

MKR

I experience the same thing regularly and moreover Alibre shuts down without any warning daily.
This happens especially when I work with larger assemblies.

+1 for more stability

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I experience the same thing regularly and moreover Alibre shuts down without any warning daily.
This happens especially when I work with larger assemblies.

+1 for more stability
I've been carrying on about stability for years. Problem is it's kind of hard to define. Yeah, AD crashes, loses associations, freezes, etc... it happens way more than acceptable but its really hard to pinpoint because (at least in my case) it seems to be rather random. I haven't sent anything to Alibre in years because when they try it they can't replicate the error. Then I try it again and it works. Like I say random.

I have a theory: Its down to speed of work. When I used AD for work I had to fly through designs. Most of you do too. And that's when things would go wrong. Pick at it later while deliberately trying to find a problem source and it worked. I think (and I may be totally wrong here) that it has to do with how Alibre uses memory. Not releasing the memory is a known issue and when working 'too fast' it gets a bit confused.

I know it's a very hokey way to explain it but there hasn't been any improvement in this for years and I really stopped thinking about it. I can't blame Alibre but I doubt they will find the problem since they don't use it they we use it.

JST

Alibre Super User
"They don't use it the way we use it"..............

The biggest problem with software testing. And the reason for Beta testing. Beta does not always work unless the beta USERS use it the way they usually do, and since there is a problem with backward compatibility, many probably do not.

I've been saying there is a lag in response. Seems like it is in the HMI, bit I suppose it could be elsewhere.

I'm no longer reporting problems on tickets because I have heard too much "we can't reproduce it" or the like. Probably because of the "they don't use it like we do" issue.

danwilley

Regarding the scrambled section views as originally reported...
Last weekend I dug into the problem a bit more to try to determine what triggered this dimension scramble. I found a way to constantly cause the problem. I wrote up my findings and added them to the existing trouble ticket. I am copying that message here so maybe it helps others experiencing this problem. Hopefully, a fix will be found and released.

------- Start of message added to the trouble ticket. ----------
Hello...

I worked with this problem a little more this weekend and seemed to have found the thing that triggers this dimension scramble.

What did not cause the section view scramble is...
  1. Changing the dimensions of an existing feature does not trigger this problem. In my case, I experimented with changing diameters and heights of various grooves (existing features) in this circular head and the dimensions on the section view updated okay when reprojected.
  2. Suppressing and Un-suppressing features did not trigger the problem. Some dimensions turned red as usual but the section views did not scramble.

Problem triggered...
  1. The only thing I found to repeatedly cause this section-view dimension-scramble is to add a feature to the configuration associated with the sheet containing the section view. In my case, I tried to add a simple radius to the edges of an "o-ring" groove. I attempted to add the radius in both the 2D space and 3D space with the same bad results. This addition triggered the scramble to the entire section view, not just to the dimension associated with the o-ring groove. Also, adding a feature to a part configuration only affected sheets associated with that configuration. Other similar section views on other sheets remained intact because they were associated with a different unchanged configuration. So, unfortunately, once you section-view a part, that section view cannot be changed otherwise it will scramble. (Not good.) I understand if the dimensions stay where they were and turn red (like other disassociated dimensions currently do), but they should not be set to zero or other values and scrambled.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
-------- End Of Message --------

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
@bigseb may be on to something about randomness and speed. I've found using Alibre Script - I can make new parts in a loop 100 times without problem - but the same script can also randomly throw an error anywhere in the loop. Usually it's something like "no design session found" or a similar meaning. I haven't done a ton of error checking after every single function call but the fact that it is random means something internal isn't right.
I do know with a fair degree of certainly that Alibre Design doesn't block user input or stop creating auto-backups while Alibre Scripts operate and that can also cause errors - but I don't know if that is related to errors seen when not using Alibre Script. For example clicking on something while another function is still loading/calculating. I've asked for this blocking ability to be added to the API and or Alibre Script.

Larry

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread. Anyway, here's a file that on my machine(s) will send Alibre into an infinite loop every time - use Task Manager to bail out. Probably a corrupt file, but still...

On V23 23055

Attachments

• R24 Flange_Mod.AD_crash_DRW.AD_DRW
    400 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
here's a file that on my machine(s) will send Alibre into an infinite loop every time -
If it screws up your machine I don't want to download it to screw up mine. Send it to Support on a ticket and have them check it out.

Larry

If it screws up your machine I don't want to download it to screw up mine. Send it to Support on a ticket and have them check it out.

It doesn't "screw up" my machine, a task manager "end task, Alibre" bailout is all that is required to recover. Guess I should've been more clear though... loading the file into Alibre will not cause a problem. When the "Reproject Views" is selected, then the error occurs. The file has to be opened in "write enable" mode.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
@Larry we need the part as well to open the drawing properly, or better still, with the drawing open, File>Package>Create which will "zip" the drawing and part together and then upload the resulting file.

Craig

And when you zoom in to an extreme amount to locate and correct “open loops” the product crashes. I reported this problem a few releases back and it was corrected, but I noticed it is back in V23.