What's new

in an Assembly edit a part in separate window causes disassociation of constraints

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'm still very inexperienced with Alibre.
When I was using Inventor I had to help lots of times where people had edited things within assemblies. or opened parts to edit them whilst having the assembly open. It's so easy to create "dirty" parts so I always stressed to save the assembly before opening parts or editing inside the assembly then save before closing the part or returning to assembly level. Then rebuild all on return. Then save again.
Like walking on ice. . . . . small steps = less chance of falling over.
Jim
Alibre Design does not load from the file system when it does a Regen so any changes to parts opened separately will not come into the assembly with the assembly is regenerated. You must close the assembly and reopen it for that process to work.

Drutort

No - my point is that if the user wants to use axes to constrain the part within the assembly - those axes should be defined in the design of the part - not 'tacked on' in the assembly workspace.

You can add as many axes etc. as you want in the part workspace, and then access those (using 'show reference geometry') in the assembly to constrain to.
I have been building parts with references planes and Axis like this for a while, where I get the reference values is from the sketch dimensions and from the feature dimensions then I would do center/mid and ends , and throw axis etc...

I did not think to use those in asm, vs the parts surfaces

This is a big deal IMO because that way when you edit a sketch you will not typically break your constraint! since its using the parts ref axis or plane.

Last edited:
For some reason it is necessary to Rebuild the assembly as the first step upon closing a part edit window and returning to the assembly. At least that is what I have learned to do and it keeps my assemblies intact.
This has been happening to me ever since I finally did an update from V21 to V27 (Full Version). What I found that fixes it until the next part edit is to go into any constraint say an offset type and just toggle between my offset value and either the ±.100 increment of the value and toggle back to my value and everything clicks back in place. Someone was talking about gears and I'm not into that so it may or may not work in that situation.

I have V21 (Full Version) at home and don't have this issue or some of the other issues I seem to be getting on my V27.